FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Here Is A Disturbing Cel To Get..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not really disturbing, but enough to piss you off pretty good.

So a couple of weeks ago, was up north, and my CEL came on. Had no way to read the code, so I popped the battery cable off, put it back on, no more CEL since.

Last week I go home to visit a bit and get the car inspected. Told my mechanic (who I went to school with) about it, just to make sure nothing pops up during the OBD emissions test.

He tells me that NY puts some sort of timer into the ECUs to turn on right before inspection. Then he asks me if I've done the normal drive cycles/etc to make sure it doesn't automatically fail inspection because the system isn't ready. Then I'm driving around Niagara Falls, and a few garages have on their message boards "engine light on? time for inspection?".

WTF. I'm 100 miles north of Toronto in the middle of nowhere, and the last damned thing I want is some "friendly reminder" CEL popping up. I can read the window sticker telling me when its due. And if I don't remember, a cop will usually pull you over and give you a reminder if its not too far past due.

So I guess mid-August next year sometime, my CEL will turn on for no apparent reason.
I didn't realize the Focus ECU could actually do that :blink:

They probably don't have that set up in Canada because each province separately handles emissions testing and with different rules besides.

In your case I'm quite sure what they would do, since you needed an emissions test to bring the car into the province and register it here, likely they will have you do the inspection every two years and bye bye grace period for you :(

NefCanuck
Yeah, agreed. I know back in my hometown of Sudbury if your car is 1996 or newer you don't have to do any tests at all lol
Ontario drive clean my ass, more like southern ontairo drive clean. Biggest cash grab ever, aside from the 407
^^ It's easier to get easy money from several million people than it is to get it from a few hundred thousand people. :)

How's that saying go? Gotta pay to play in the GTA?

That's why I'm always just visiting :P
Wait a sec Canada's Drive clean setup is not supposed to tie into the OBDII in any shape or form...
I just did a driveclean on Wagon 3 and they never asked me why my OBDII connector was (Missing) moved and permanently tied into my OBDII Bluetooth Controller/transmitter (The Transmitter is tied together with a metal bracket that uses security tamperproof screws...

I also never let them run the test without me standing there I ran my nephews car after I replaced the motor and I wasn't watching and they said right as they started the test it threw a code which was rear O2 Sensor / Bank 2 ( Whats odd is that car does NOT have a rear O2 it has only 1 and its programmed as Bank 1 O2).. well the pics of the after Installation showed I had installed a tamper proof clip on the connector which won't allow it to back out/unplug itself after I found the clip cracked and when I checked the taper proof clips I had installed were cut with side cutters

in all my cars Ive never had a Cel that didn't come with a P code attached

I JUST got a Cel about a week ago but thats a P0401 which would be no reading on the Delta Pressure Feedback Module which was replaced and the light went off

Im going to do a HEX drop of the absolute ECU Programming and see if I can find that
Im going to check 3 of my 5 wagons that have different ECU Codes

if you get the cell back up take it to Autozone and ask them to run the code and report it back here
Any confirmation of this? If so, how is this possible or allowed?