FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tories Table Bill To Raise Age Of Sexual Consent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tories table bill to raise age of sexual consent
CTV.ca News Staff

In a bid to prevent adults from preying on young teens, the federal government has today moved to raise the age of sexual consent by two years to 16.

If passed, the legislation will mark the first time the age has been changed since it was set at 14 more than a century ago.

Justice Minister Vic Toews, who tabled the bill in the Commons Thursday, said changing the age of consent will protect youths in the 14-to-15-year age group.

"Children are being exploited on our streets by sexual predators and we want to put an end to that," Toews told a news conference in Ottawa.

The bill includes a so-called near-age exemption of five years, which means that a 14-year-old could still have a sexual partner aged up to 19, and a 15-year-old could have a partner up to 20 years old.

The aim is to avoid criminalizing sexual experimentation by teens with their peers, but provide a way to prosecute older adults who target youngsters.

"The law does not make criminals out of young people that's why this bill does include the near-age exemption," Toews told reporters.

"Our target remains squarely on adults who prey on children."

The proposed legislation, which has been promised by the Conservative government since it took power last February, was welcomed by police and anti-child exploitation advocates who say the move will help them deal with pimps and Internet predators.

"There's something wrong with a 14 year old being able to have sex with an adult," Det. Const. Warren Bulmer told CTV's Canada AM Thursday.

"We have 14 year old kids using the Internet and a lot of the time these kids are being propositioned by adults. Those two years will make a difference."

Former Toronto police officer Paul Gillespie said the bill would give police "more tools" in the battle against Internet predators.

"These are children that are being victimized...children need protecting," Gillespie told reporters in Ottawa Thursday.

Meanwhile, Ottawa police chief Vince Bevan described the proposed legislation as "very welcome news."

Gay rights activists, however, have criticized the proposed bill because it does not address the age of consent for gay men.

Currently, anal sex is illegal for Canadians under the age of 18.

Ariel Troster from gay rights group Egale Canada says gay men should be able to have sex at the same age as straight men.

"It just seems completely absurd that if the government is going to visit the age of consent, that they not visit this issue of discrimination against gay youth," she told CTV News earlier this month.

If the proposed bill passes, it will be the first time the age of consent has been changed since 1890.

Honestly I have no opinion on this one.
I got nothing against that.

Never got any before that age anyways, so I say screw 'em!
I see nothing wrong with it, but I also see no need for it.

How would this actually help? the people doing it will just do it anyway.

Oh well, I guess they'll get voted in again or something for this. The people will think it's great and saving the children, just like the street racing crap is saving lives....
Only 16? I guess Andrew and Ashly dodged a bullet there.

'Cause the "near age exemption" sure as heck wouldn't apply...

:poke2:

Ahh.........lighten up, I''m only kidding........... :lol:
lol you're bad!

Good concept but I don't think 2 horny little kids are going to stop and wait until they're 16 because "it's the law"
Hahahaha
It won't stop the ones who are bad, nor the ones who want it. It'll just make the honest ones wait a bit longer, is all.

However, if it protects the girls better via increased punishment down the road... then I'm all for it.
jen_deans,Jun 23 2006, 07:44 AM Wrote:lol you're bad!

Good concept but I don't think 2 horny little kids are going to stop and wait until they're 16 because "it's the law"
Hahahaha
[right][snapback]194882[/snapback][/right]
I think you misread. There's a near age exemption part of the law.

Quote:The bill includes a so-called near-age exemption of five years, which means that a 14-year-old could still have a sexual partner aged up to 19, and a 15-year-old could have a partner up to 20 years old.

So that means it's not illegal for the youngin's to have sex with eachother, it's just to stop 40 year olds from having sex with 14 year olds, which the previous law allowed. Though I think the girl could claim she was raped, even if it had been consentual to start, and then get the guy arrested.