FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Daring Escape For A Young Fort Erie Girl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Daring escape for a young Fort Erie girl
CTV.ca News Staff

An 11-year-old Fort Erie girl managed to make a daring escape from a Florida man who allegedly tried to abduct and sexually assault her on Wednesday morning.

Police say the young girl was waiting for a school bus near Waterloo Street and Catharine Drive in Fort Erie at about 8:20 a.m. when she was approached by a 23-year-old man. He allegedly offered the girl a ride to school.

When she accepted the ride, the man "gave verbal indications that he would not be bringing her to school," police said in a press release.

The girl immediately jumped from the moving car and escaped. She then caught her school bus and told officials at Fort Erie Public School about her experience.

Police and emergency personnel were called and the young victim was brought to Douglas Memorial Hospital. She was treated for minor injuries and released.

Police are looking for Steven Batchelder, 23, of Hollywood, Florida. He is wanted for:

One count of abduction of a person under 14 years of age;
One count of invitation to sexual touching
"He is wanted here now in Canada on a Canada-wide warrant," Niagara Regional Police Sgt. Wayne Genders said Wednesday.

Police have found the vehicle they believe was used in the incident and investigators are conducting a forensic examination of the car. Investigators do not know if the suspect has access to another vehicle.

Batchelder is described as 5'11" tall with dark hair. He weighs approximately 160 lbs.

Police ask anyone with information on Batchelder's whereabouts to call the Fort Erie office at (905) 688-4111 ext. 2300 or Crime Stoppers at 1 (800) 222 TIPS.

Meanwhile Genders encouraged parents to "have that talk with their kids about getting into cars with strangers."

With a report from CTV's Austin Delaney and photo of the suspect click Here

At least she got out and got away... but why get in in the first place? C'mon PARENTS... turn off the idiot box and TALK to your kids FFS!
I agree with the parent thing as well. People are freaking sick these days. If I ever came accross that guy i'd beat him to a bloody pulp.