FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Lamar Calls For Review Of Crown's Office
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lamar calls for review of N.L. Crown's office
Updated Wed. Jun. 21 2006 1:05 PM ET

Canadian Press

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- An lengthy inquiry into a trio of questionable murder convictions in Newfoundland has concluded that the provincial Crown attorney's office too often accepted and supported police investigations that were plagued by "tunnel vision."

In a report released Wednesday, former Supreme Court justice Antonio Lamer says there is no evidence to suggest the Crown's office has changed its ways. As a result, Lamer has recommended an independent review of the office.

The wide-ranging inquiry into Newfoundland's justice system was launched in March 2003.

Lamer looked into the wrongful murder convictions of Gregory Parsons and Randy Druken. He also probed the lengthy appeal of a third man, Ronald Dalton.

Dalton was in prison for nearly nine years before he was acquitted of murdering his wife, while DNA evidence was used to clear Parsons in the killing of his mother.

Druken was convicted of murdering his girlfriend, and while the prosecution later stayed the charges, he was never formally acquitted.

Dalton recently said the report would offer him little solace, regardless of Lamer's findings.

"I'm afraid I'm a little skeptical given the very limited terms of reference that were given to (Lamer)," said Dalton, who is now 50.

He was sent to prison after being found guilty of fatally strangling his wife in 1988. He was exonerated by forensic evidence and set free in June 2000 after a five-month retrial.

In 1994, Parsons was convicted of killing his mother, Catherine Carroll, three years earlier. He was formally acquitted in 1998. A childhood friend has since pleaded guilty to the murder.

Druken was convicted of the 1993 murder of his girlfriend, Brenda Marie Young, largely on the testimony of a jailhouse informant who has since recanted. The provincial Appeal Court overturned the conviction and the charge was eventually stayed.

The completion of Lamer's report had been delayed twice since hearings began in September 2003.

The inquiry was postponed in May 2004 after Lamer - a retired chief justice of the Supreme Court of Canada - was rushed to hospital complaining of chest pains.

The inquiry's original deadline was December 2004, but Lamer asked for a year-long extension when he concluded there was more work involved than he initially anticipated.

Testimony wrapped up last June.

Man, you are like this board's official news anchor eh?
SVTmonkey,Jun 21 2006, 02:30 PM Wrote:Man, you are like this board's official news anchor eh?
[right][snapback]194485[/snapback][/right]

lol Yeah I think so
Frost... I still nominate you for Ontario! I'll take this board since I'm part Newf... :P :lol:

Either way, your news of the WORLD (not just NFLD) is pretty interesting.