FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ottawa Considers Reducing C.p.p. Contributions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ottawa considers reducing CPP contributions
Updated Wed. Jun. 21 2006 9:12 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's fall agenda may include an announcement to reduce Canada Pension Plan contributions for workers and employers, a move which could boost take-home pay, according to a newspaper report.

The Globe and Mail reported Wednesday that the Tories are considering using some of the annual federal surplus to pour cash into the CPP, which could allow Ottawa to cut premiums.

The measure -- which could be billed as a move akin to a tax cut because it would offer paycheque relief -- could be announced in the fall and included in the spring budget.

It's unclear what the reduction would amount to.

Currently, workers pay a rate of 4.95 per cent on their annual pensionable earnings to a limit of $42,100. The maximum individual contribution is $1,910.

Employers pay an equal sum, bringing the joint contribution amount to 9.9 per cent, or a maximum of $3,800 annually.

Canadians who are self-employed fork over the combined 9.9 per cent rate.

The rate is considerably higher than what it was 40 years ago, when the combined CPP contribution rate equalled 3.6 per cent.

Such a proposal would require an amendment to the CPP legislation, for which Ottawa would need the consent of at least two-thirds of the provinces.

The Globe and Mail reported Harper's agenda will also include a package to fix the fiscal imbalance, with measures to boost equalization and other provincial transfers.

The topic is likely to be on the table next week at a Canadian finance ministers' meeting at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., where Ottawa and the provinces are to discuss ways of addressing the contentious fiscal imbalance.

The equalization scheme redistributes funds from Canada's so-called "have" provinces to their poorer counterparts -- the "have-nots." This is done to ensure all provinces offer a comparable level of public services across the country.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this.

Good - the obvious stuff (higher paycheque). The not-so-obvious - CPP might not last long enough for those aged 20-35 right now. So, reducing the contribution might not affect the overall outcome of the fund, but it lessens the load for those currently paying into it that might not realize its expected lifespan.

Bad - not sure what this does as far as propping up services and infrastructure that could probably use the money more.
ok.. so who's paying for my retirement again?
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 21 2006, 03:33 PM Wrote:Bad - not sure what this does as far as propping up services and infrastructure that could probably use the money more.
[right][snapback]194497[/snapback][/right]
I agree - use the surplus somewhere else. I'm one of the "lucky" ones who gets to pay the whole $3800 myself and even if they save me 10% of that, it won't really make a big difference.

IIRC we've got a few billions in new spending for the military coming up, and I'd rather see the money go to them or to healthcare ... and yes, we can always use new/repaired roads.

Businesses with lots of employees probably have a different opinion, though.
think that they should get rid of CPP some how, have an age where you don't have to contribute into CPP. the government hasn't done the best job at managing the CPP and at the rate its going, it might not be around by the time meford is going to retire.

i'd rather opt out completly and manage my own retirement plan, cause i know how i want to live and know what i need to live at the level that i want.
It's fairly easy to meet with an "entry-level", branch-housed investment advisor that will help you set up a RRSP or pretty much anything else along those lines.

The payments are automatic and can come out right on your pay date (if your pay is direct deposit - most are). Also, a lot of employers offer pre-paycheque RRSP deductions so the cash never hits your account. That's what I do, in addition to our pension plan, and the same for Sara.