FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Elderly Woman Killed In Go Transit Incident
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Elderly woman killed in GO Transit incident
CTV.ca News Staff

An elderly woman died after being struck by a GO Transit train in the city's east end Tuesday morning.

Seventy-year-old Maria Baggieri was crossing the CN Rail tracks near Markham Road and Eglinton Avenue Tuesday at about 11:30 a.m. She stumbled and fell in front of the train.

Police, paramedics and GO Transit officials responded to the stretch of train tracks running beneath Markham Avenue to investigate the incident. Baggieri was pronounced dead at the scene.

Several police cars could be seen parked in a nearby field, while other officers kept onlookers from getting too close to the area.

The train was stopped at the accident scene for more than an hour while an investigation was launched. Sometime after 1 p.m. the train was allowed to move.

The incident disrupted morning GO service between Oshawa and Union Station, and several scheduled trains were cancelled.

By 3 p.m. service had been restored through the area and GO Transit's website reported that the service was "not experiencing any major disruptions."

Still blows my mind that when someone gets shmucked by the TTC, service is up and running in 25 min, but someone get's rolled by a GO train, service is no existant for 8 hours.

Makes no sence.
I like how they worded the headline "Elderley Woman killed in a GO Transit INCIDENT; :huh:

Oh how comforting that someone getting killed gy a train is only an Incident to the Toronto papers......I was wondering what she would have had to of done to make it a tragedy that she was killed? <_<
Details seem a lil sketchy. Did she not see the lights on the crossing when the train was coming? Or did she fall awhile before the train got there and wasn't able to get out of the way? A little more detail would be nice.
ANTHONYD,Jun 21 2006, 02:37 PM Wrote:Still blows my mind that when someone gets shmucked by the TTC, service is up and running in 25 min, but someone get's rolled by a GO train, service is no existant for 8 hours.

Makes no sence.
[right][snapback]194489[/snapback][/right]

the messes made by both trains are quite disimliar (having been on each after they've hit a person).

On the subway train, it stops, there's screaming, paramedics arrive, emergency crews clean it up, police take witnesses aside for statemtns and you're back on your way 45 minutes later.

Go train hits someone, there's blood splatter up to 4 cars down the line... emergency crews have to drive up to the train, wreckage cleared, people taken off the train, statements taken, etc etc...

It's probably because the GO Trains
a ) make a bigger mess
b ) are able to make a bigger mess because they are going faster, in larger trains, on often public property.
It's obvious... Subways obey the speed limits, the GO Train was obviously streetracing. :rolleyes:

It's sad, but WTH? Elderly people feel the need to dart across the tracks?
darkpuppet,Jun 21 2006, 04:08 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jun 21 2006, 02:37 PM Wrote:Still blows my mind that when someone gets shmucked by the TTC, service is up and running in 25 min, but someone get's rolled by a GO train, service is no existant for 8 hours.

Makes no sence.
[right][snapback]194489[/snapback][/right]

the messes made by both trains are quite disimliar (having been on each after they've hit a person).

On the subway train, it stops, there's screaming, paramedics arrive, emergency crews clean it up, police take witnesses aside for statemtns and you're back on your way 45 minutes later.

Go train hits someone, there's blood splatter up to 4 cars down the line... emergency crews have to drive up to the train, wreckage cleared, people taken off the train, statements taken, etc etc...

It's probably because the GO Trains
a ) make a bigger mess
b ) are able to make a bigger mess because they are going faster, in larger trains, on often public property.
[right][snapback]194508[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm.

I wonder if there is a sick site out there that images of both so we can compare.

I guess I see your point. :(
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 21 2006, 01:17 PM Wrote:It's obvious... Subways obey the speed limits, the GO Train was obviously streetracing. :rolleyes:

LOL
whats also interesting, no body mentioned whitnesses.. were there witnesses? would anyone stop their car and get out to help an old lady if they recognized that she fell down in the middle of a railway crossing?