FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gas Prices Push Inflation Rate Up To 2.8% In May
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gas prices push inflation rate up to 2.8% in May
Updated Tue. Jun. 20 2006 12:57 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Higher gasoline prices pushed inflation to 2.8 per cent in May -- up from 2.4 per cent the month before, Statistics Canada said Tuesday.

The inflation figure was higher than economists had predicted and could prompt the Bank of Canada to raise interest rates.

The core inflation rate, which excludes volatile components such as energy and food, recorded its strongest 12-month increase since December 2003, jumping from 1.6 per cent in April to two per cent in May.

Report on Business Television's Bridgitte Anderson told CTV Newsnet there were "signs of inflation" creeping into the Canadian economy.

"Back in May, the Bank of Canada signalled it was going to pause rising interest rates, but these inflation figures could change that," she said.

"I think we need to brace for more volatility."

Rising gasoline prices at the pump were a key factor in driving inflation, along with electricity and homeowners' replacement costs, StatsCan said.

The report said higher prices for crude oil boosted gasoline prices by more than 17 per cent across the country, including a 22.9 per cent jump in Alberta.

Electricity prices rose 6.2 per cent between May 2005 and last month, with Ontario registering the highest increase at 10.3 per cent.

Homeowners' replacement costs, which cover the worn-out structural portion of housing, rose 7.2 per cent on an annual basis, reflecting more expensive material and labour.

Hotel and motel rooms also cost more as owners started summer rates.

Meanwhile, the cost of computer equipment and supplies dropped in May, while video gear was also cheaper.

With files from the Canadian Press

We're surprised that inflation is higher with gas prices hanging around a buck or more a litre like a bad smell? :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
my 3% raise did crap all.
The cheapest gas our two weeks on the road out west was actually in Ontario.

The good news is we "collected" prize cards from Husky and I managed to spell ETHANOL which means I win a $100 in free gas. There is even a Husky station in Mississauga much to my surprise.

That fine woman of mine brings me good luck I tell you, the website says to collect all the letters is a 1 in 170,000 chance. I've got to start buying lotto tickets I guess.
Frost__2001,Jun 20 2006, 03:13 PM Wrote:[i]Gas prices push inflation rate up to 2.8% in May
Higher gasoline prices pushed inflation to 2.8 per cent in May -- up from 2.4 per cent the month before, Statistics Canada said Tuesday.
[right][snapback]194201[/snapback][/right]

Crappy reporting - reading this you'd actually think the inflation rate for the month of May was 2.8%. It wasn't - not even close.

Just to put things into perspective ...

What they really mean to say is that the inflation in May represented an annual rate of 2.8% (they were expecting an annualized rate of 2.7%) - or in raw numbers approximately 0.0023% for the month.

Put another way - considering the commodoties they use to calculate inflation, what cost you $100.00 in April cost you $100.23 in May.

Considering it wasn't all that long ago we saw double digit inflation year after year after year (before the government figured out how to control it) I for one don't see any real reason to get upset.

Well, okay - maybe it was a long time ago (late 70s early 80s) ... but we should all feel good that we will never see the likes of that kind of skyrocketing inflation again.

ZTWsquared,Jun 20 2006, 07:33 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Jun 20 2006, 03:13 PM Wrote:[i]Gas prices push inflation rate up to 2.8% in May
[right][snapback]194201[/snapback][/right]

Crappy reporting - reading this you'd actually think the inflation rate for the month of May was 2.8%. It wasn't - not even close.

Just to put things into perspective ...

What they really mean to say is that the inflation in May represented an annual rate of 2.8% (they were expecting an annualized rate of 2.7%) - or in raw numbers approximately 0.0023% for the month.

Put another way - considering the commodoties they use to calculate inflation, what cost you $100.00 in April cost you $100.23 in May.

Considering it wasn't all that long ago we saw double digit inflation year after year after year (before the government figured out how to control it) I for one don't see any real reason to get upset.

Well, okay - maybe it was a long time ago (late 70s early 80s) ... but we should all feel good that we will never see the likes of that kind of skyrocketing inflation again.
[right][snapback]194283[/snapback][/right]

Well I was just reporting this off the CTV.ca website, I just copied and pasted it, didn't actually write the article, I just figured some people would have been interested to know. ;)
Frost__2001,Jun 20 2006, 07:57 PM Wrote:Well I was just reporting this off the CTV.ca website, I just copied and pasted it, didn't actually write the article, I just figured some people would have been interested to know.  ;)
[right][snapback]194286[/snapback][/right]
Oh I know - my comments weren't directed at you at all ... and CTV isn't the only news outlet that does a poor job of explaining these things.

BTW - there are lots of clipping services out there that do the same thing you do (cut and paste articles) ... except they get paid for it ;). I like that you do it.
2001 ZTS,Jun 20 2006, 11:18 PM Wrote:There is even a Husky station in Mississauga much to my surprise.
[right][snapback]194280[/snapback][/right]

can tell you where all the Husky stations in Ontario are tomorrow, if you want.