FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toronto - Pride Week Kicks Off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Flag ceremony at City Hill kicks off Pride Week
CTV.ca News Staff

The rainbow flag of Pride Week is flying over Toronto City Hall, signalling the start of the city's annual week-long celebration of gay and lesbian culture.

The event, now in its 26th year, began with a ceremony attended by Mayor David Miller. A similar ceremony was to take place at York University.

The theme of Pride Week 2006 is "Fearless."

Canadian peace activist James Loney and his partner Dan Hunt will be among those honoured at a gala dinner Tuesday night celebrating the community's bravest individuals.

Loney was held captive in Iraq for four months before being rescued by coalition forces in Baghdad in late March.

Organizers said he and his partner endured much hardship as they had to conceal their sexual orientation during the ordeal for fear of reprisal from Loney's captors.

The couple embodies this year's "fearless" theme, organizers said. Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty will present the award.

Toronto's Pride festival is one of the largest of its kind around the world, with about one million people expected to attend.

Revellers and tourists will pump about $80 million into the local economy, officials estimate.

The celebration ends with a parade on Sunday, which begins at 2 p.m.

Off topic though, I figured I'd post this up as I'm the only one here that would...

Umm so yes to everyone, Happy Pride Week and be happy with who you are, and what you are, and where you are in your life, again Happy Pride 2006 to all! :D

I'm all for it!

Party hardy this weekend. I know I will...even if I'm not gay. *not that I had to qualify my statement :P*
ANTHONYD,Jun 19 2006, 04:54 PM Wrote:*not that I had to qualify my statement :P*
[right][snapback]193967[/snapback][/right]
Thank you for dispelling the rumour. :ph34r:

:lol: