FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Should I Buy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay not really sure between the 2 of these?? I would like a little bit more HP or TQ if possible.

I know with the Xcal I will have to find someone to get tunes from for my car and costs about double the price of the throttle body....

Small list of current mods

Volant Intake (**Ram Scoop to come**)
MBRP Catback
Adjustable Cam Gears
Lightweight Underdrive Crank Pully

Camshafts will be purchase this year hopefully!

Opinions ???

Throttle Body --- Approx $150 US

SCT Xcal2 ---- Approx $250US (no tunes)

Thanks
What are your current mods?
What do you want to gain?

Best to know this before a reasonable answer can be made.
Thanks... original post edit!
a goddam race header...

i had alll those, and the race header made more diff than the rest combined

ps and im in ottawa trusss me
I'm with lordkingod... Header.

You have increased beathing coming into the engine, breathing after the manifold, now allow the engine to exhale properly.

After that, get the tune.

Ryan
SCT X-cal 2. Its got a lotta gizmos in it.
I'd have to say a header would do you more good over the 2 mods you listed, but of the 2, I'd prolly get the XCal-2, especially if you're gonna get cams later, just get a new tune when you do and you'll be golden.
habmann,Jun 18 2006, 08:56 AM Wrote:I'd have to say a header would do you more good over the 2 mods you listed, but of the 2, I'd prolly get the XCal-2, especially if you're gonna get cams later, just get a new tune when you do and you'll be golden.
[right][snapback]193718[/snapback][/right]

Like he said. B)
if you're getting an Xcal2 don't have steeda provide you the tunes :)

I think you're far better off with the headers, but once you have the headers on you'll need the Xcal to disable the 2nd o2. Ideally you'll get both and I think the headers first is the better path unless you're in for an E-Test soon.
So I need to look for a SVT header based on above comments!!! I have been trying to stay away from headers just because I know they produce a lot more sound. Which I don't really want, but I think the SVT header keeps it reasonably quiet if I am not mistaken.

And the search begins!!

I've tried all the intakes, iceman, aem short ram, aem long cai, full exhaust, race headers damn I can't tell you how much money I wasted on N/A mods. Unless your gonna get cams, increase compression or nitrous, just save the money up for a turbo or supercharger. If its power you want thats how you'll get it!

02ztsian

Since you drive a 2000, you need to find out if you have the desireable early 2000 one-piece intake manifold. If you do, then buy the T/B, pull the intake off and port out the sucker. It'll only cost you a few bucks for JB Weld and you will need to borrow a Dremel from someone. Makes a real big difference, trust me. There are lots of people who can help you out as to how-to (including myself!). THEN, get the SVT header!
I would suggest the Xcal first, as it would get you more power, however, I love my FC TB & 2k mani combo. Great throttle response, good mid-range boost.
ZX3guy2000,Jun 18 2006, 10:46 PM Wrote:So I need to look for a SVT header based on above comments!!!  I have been trying to stay away from headers just because I know they produce a lot more sound.  Which I don't really want, but I think the SVT header keeps it reasonably quiet if I am not mistaken.

And the search begins!!
[right][snapback]193820[/snapback][/right]

I have the SVT header and it is reasonably quiet at idle. It's legal because I have a R/T high flow cat with it (the cat and flex was almost twice the cost of the header.) I have passed emissions testing with this setup.

But, don't kid yourself it is going to be much louder especially at full throttle.

I must say that other than FI, the header made the biggest difference in performance of all of the NA mods that I've done.
IMHO, get neither. save for boost, keep it stock or get a new car. or get really kickass tires if you really have the urge to spend some $ right now