FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Surging....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, well after finding out a while ago that my surging problem was the air con (duh)....well, I think I might have a low refridgerant problem, as the unit is cycling every 3 seconds...on...off...on....off...with the revs going up and down. I read somewhere that constant cycling could be caused by low refridgerant.

If that is so, can I get the 'self-replace' cans/kits here? Crappy tire maybe?
I believe that it needs to be filled via the low pressure side with the fan and A/C on full...is that right? (Sorry, I've sorta searched, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw all this data).

Thanks all,

Scorp.
Yup, sounds like low 134a. How old is the car? Mine is 6 years and only now needs to be topped up. You might need a sealant too, or to look for a leak. You'd probably be well advised to do that at a good shop.
DadsToy,Jun 16 2006, 08:55 PM Wrote:Yup, sounds like low 134a.  How old is the car?  Mine is 6 years and only now needs to be topped up.  You might need a sealant too, or to look for a leak.  You'd probably be well advised to do that at a good shop.
[right][snapback]193583[/snapback][/right]
There's another recent thread that describes where the low side valve is (wheel well) and talks about a replacement product called Dura Cool (sp?) - you may want to have a look at that.
Thanks, and ya, she's 6 years old, so about time for a refill I guess.

I found THIS post which points to a how-to at Focus-hacks.

Now all I gotta do is find some refridgerant.

Anyone know where I can get some? I'm in Montreal.

Scorp.
ZTWsquared,Jun 17 2006, 01:15 AM Wrote:There's another recent thread that describes where the low side valve is (wheel well) and talks about a replacement product called Dura Cool (sp?) - you may want to have a look at that.
[right][snapback]193588[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, the Duracool stuff sounds great (http://www.deepfreezeinc.ca/quick.htm) but my brother, a mechanic, warned me that it is propane based. With the AC pump right up front, in an accident the stuff could blow. I'd love to use it since its more environmentally sound, but I carry my kids in the focus so I'm sticking with 134a.
had mine replaced, AC Compressor and it was leaking too, so they re-filled it free. though i had it done under the X-Tended Warranty.
DadsToy,Jun 17 2006, 07:15 AM Wrote:Yeah, the Duracool stuff sounds great (http://www.deepfreezeinc.ca/quick.htm) but my brother, a mechanic, warned me that it is propane based.  With the AC pump right up front, in an accident the stuff could blow.  I'd love to use it since its more environmentally sound, but I carry my kids in the focus so I'm sticking with 134a.
[right][snapback]193612[/snapback][/right]
Hmmm ... if you're concerned about that (not saying you shouldn't be) you might want to think about doing without a/c all together because R-134a is really nasty stuff. It's much more toxic than refrigerant propane and it too can burn and explode - and at a lower temperature than refrigerant propoane.

I'm no scientist, but based on what I've read I'd rather be exposed to a propane leak than an R-134a leak - and considering the relatively small amount of refrigerant (a few oz.) vs. other flammable / explosive liquids in the car, IMO it's the least of your concerns in a collision whether its propane or R=134a.

Add in the fact that it is more efficient than R-134a and less harmful to the environment, and IMO it's an alternative that should be considered.
Dump on a UDP setup... get rid of a lot of surging and grief once it's repaired :D
DadsToy,Jun 17 2006, 11:15 AM Wrote:With the AC pump right up front, in an accident the stuff could blow. [right][snapback]193612[/snapback][/right]

Better drain your gas tank too then.

The stuff is perfectly safe, and works much better than R134a. I've only had experience with RedTek R12A (same as DuraCool).

I recently found my A/C leak, and it looks to be the low side port valve. As soon as you take the dust cap off you can hear it escaping... Now there's absolutely nothing in there.
Fingers,Jun 19 2006, 07:17 PM Wrote:Better drain your gas tank too then.

The stuff is perfectly safe, and works much better than R134a.  I've only had experience with RedTek R12A (same as DuraCool).

[right][snapback]193943[/snapback][/right]

Ummm, the gas tank ain't behind your front bumper.
Ok, dealt with my surging today. Got the AC recharged and, at six years old, showed a couple of leaky O-rings on the pressure test. In total it came to $126.53 with tax at a Ford service centre. That doesn't seem that bad to me given that I'd have never found the leaks if I had just recharged it myself.
DadsToy,Jun 20 2006, 08:24 AM Wrote:Ok, dealt with my surging today.  Got the AC recharged and, at six years old, showed a couple of leaky O-rings on the pressure test.  In total it came to $126.53 with tax at a Ford service centre.  That doesn't seem that bad to me given that I'd have never found the leaks if I had just recharged it myself.
[right][snapback]194157[/snapback][/right]
Was it surging while driving it too or just at idle? Was it making a sucking or hissing sound?
Turbo_zts,Jun 21 2006, 08:58 PM Wrote:[Was it surging while driving it too or just at idle?  Was it making a sucking or hissing sound?
[right][snapback]194527[/snapback][/right]

At idle the revs were climbing from around 700 to 1300 or so every few seconds when the AC was on. When driving you could feel the compressor kick in and out every few seconds as well, although it wasn't as obvious as when sitting at an idle. When recharged, everything is as normal with the AC on.
Oh yeah, I didn't find the leaks (although I knew the refrigerant had gone somewhere). They did a pressure test and found leaks on the compressor. Two o-rings and everything seemed OK when tested again. Then they recharged it.