FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Many It Professionals Feel Traumatized By The
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just got this from someone i work with.. figured i'd post it up for your own consumption.

Matthew Lynn
BLOOMBERG NEWS
06/04/2006

If your screen freezes, try ignoring it. As that report you've spent a week working on gets chewed up by the hard drive, shrug and forget about it.

Whatever happens, don't call the exhausted souls in the information-technology department. They are too stressed out already. The last thing they need is you shouting at them.

According to a survey released this month by Dublin-based consulting firm SkillSoft, 97 percent of IT professionals feel traumatized by their daily work. Indeed, 80 percent of them get tense just thinking about going to the office.

Poor them.

Whether IT is really the most stressful occupation on the planet is something we could all have an interesting, if nervous, conversation about. What appears beyond doubt is that workplace stress has turned into an epidemic.

Why is that? After all, as the world becomes wealthier, and as billions get invested in new technology, you might imagine our working lives would get easier, not harder.

In reality, work has become so psychologically demanding because we choose to make it that way.

No one would deny that stress is everywhere. SkillSoft talked to 3,000 people to come up with its conclusion that handling the computers frazzles the nerves more than any other job, Kevin Young, managing director of SkillSoft, said in a telephone interview. "That is true right across different industries. The speed of change just gets faster."

In the SkillSoft survey, the IT jocks came out at the top of the pile. They were followed by medicine and engineering. Yet, according to a paper presented to the British Psychological Society earlier this year, librarians suffer more from stress than any other occupation.

It is hard not to sympathize with all of them. IT workers have to wrestle with technology that never seems to get more reliable or user-friendly. If our cars were as wonky as our computers, we'd all keep a spare horse in the garden just in case. Librarians have to deal with people who don't bring their books back on time, or maybe fold down the edges of the pages. (Well, maybe most of us could roll with those punches, but they are very gentle souls, which is why they didn't become firefighters or hedge-fund managers.)

The rankings may well be meaningless. Everyone is under pressure at work.

Why are jobs becoming more stressful all the time? There are three reasons:

First, hyperactivity is now a badge of honor. In the modern office, there is little place for the people who puts their feet up on the desk, push back the chair, and stare at the passing clouds for a few minutes. If you aren't rushing around like a hamster on steroids, the boss thinks you are lazy. You will be downsized before you've had a chance to say "mañana."

Stress has been built into the DNA of office life.

Next, we have created an ever more demanding, 'round-the-clock business culture. Shops are always open in many countries. The call center will take our orders in the middle of the night. The markets switch from one time zone to another. As consumers, that's great. We can get anything we want, when we want it. As producers, it's not so great. We have to be plugged into the working world all the time -- it is hardly surprising we feel under pressure.

Yet, most of us participate in the economy both as consumers and producers. So while we've benefited as the former, we have suffered as the latter.

Lastly, we have forgotten how to be polite and considerate when dealing with our co-workers, suppliers or customers. In the SkillSoft survey, IT workers cited bullying behavior by managers and colleagues as among the reasons they felt so stressed.

Yet, work is so stressful because we've chosen to make it that way.

Maybe it's time we all just relaxed a bit. And perhaps even stopped shouting at the IT department -- I'm really not sure they can handle the strain anymore.
interesting

forwarded it to the IT department here at work.
s***, I'm in the minority... I love my job, occasional grief that we all get aside. After 4 years of steadily-increasing responsibility you'd think I'd want out... but I don't. I love it.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 15 2006, 02:27 PM Wrote:s***, I'm in the minority... I love my job, occasional grief that we all get aside. After 4 years of steadily-increasing responsibility you'd think I'd want out... but I don't. I love it.
[right][snapback]193280[/snapback][/right]

Ditto. I love software testing.
I did IT Help Desk on a secondment from my regular job for a year.

It can be a huge PITA if you forget the basic therom of the IT Help Desk: They're calling because they need help. Of course the kind of help some users need you can't provide (Like a boot to da head! :lol:)

NefCanuck
the IT department where i work is pretty good, have a problem and they are there. usually.

but they were to stop by and set up a drive so my reports can be stored safely, they didn't show up. so i now know who to blame if the reports have to be recreated.
I'm so glad I left the IT Industry..

People at my last company, would call IT because their printer wasnt printing, it turned out they were out of paper. I mean, people are so reliant on IT to even do the simplest things from plugging in a cable, to loading paper in a printer, that people forget the true meaning of IT.

Just today alone.. my mom was complaining her computer wasnt working on the internet for 3 days straight. it turned out she was typing the url incorrect in the web browser, lmao.. shes not technological savvy though.
word i am moving out of IT implentation type consulting work for some of those reasons
Being an 'IT professional', it's not the work I hate, it's the idiots I have to deal with to do my job. If it was just the work I had to do, and I didn't have to deal with people, I'd honestly love my job.

(I work for an outsourcing company that does remote server, network and security management, and quite often we talk to people that have no idea what a router, switch, firewall or server is)

Ryan
Without the customer, there is no job. If everyone knew computers, there would be no need for IT Professionals.
seems most of us are " IT professionals " In my case it's not really the clients I deal with but more so the management's processes that get me going. Just seems they make things harder for us in an attempt at making things better/easier.
nass,Jun 17 2006, 01:39 PM Wrote:seems most of us are " IT professionals " In my case it's not really the clients I deal with but more so the management's processes that get me going. Just seems they make things harder for us in an attempt at making things better/easier.
[right][snapback]193639[/snapback][/right]

Oh now there's a subject that gets me boiling :angry: When the "management" makes decisions in teh name of making things "easier" and screwing everything up in the process <_<

Despite rather animated opposition, our funders decided that when they gave us new machines, that the users would be "locked out" of everything except the most basic functions "to protect the network" yeah and screw over users who can't even change the resolution of the Windows fonts to make up for the craptastic LCD screens they foisted on us :ph34r:

Gah...

NefCanuck
paolo,Jun 15 2006, 11:00 PM Wrote:I'm so glad I left the IT Industry..

People at my last company, would call IT because their printer wasnt printing, it turned out they were out of paper. I mean, people are so reliant on IT to even do the simplest things from plugging in a cable, to loading paper in a printer, that people forget the true meaning of IT.

Just today alone.. my mom was complaining her computer wasnt working on the internet for 3 days straight. it turned out she was typing the url incorrect in the web browser, lmao..  shes not technological savvy though.
[right][snapback]193389[/snapback][/right]

And that's why i'm not looking at getting into that field anymore... I face that same crap day in day out. My puter works like clockwork, I built it, I run it, bottom line.
working in a cost center always sucks.. i'm voting for get out of IT or move to a firm where the work you do generates revenue.. and i don't mean the fake revenue of one dept charging another. i mean actual cash in flow from external customers
It's all about being in the right place at the right time, and working for the right employer helps too.

There are lots of different ways to make your mark in IT. Consulting is a golden cash cow to most, but the extra hours that consultants invariably end up working can be one of the biggest stressors that ultimately dissuade newcomers from entering the consulting industry.

Or, you could end up where I am. Several Microsoft certs, a college diploma from a networking-oriented program relating to NOS and firewalls, routers, etc. Employed as a senior Systems Admin, running the entire IT infrastructure - copper, VLANs, servers, services, published applications and resources as well as being responsible for support staff. We design new network infrastructure, redesign existing services as required (finished a new network redesign rollout last week, actually), plan / configure / implement new servers and services as needed and re-evaluate current status and plan for new development.

If you're given the right environment to work in, IT is a great career. We're responsible for over 250 mail-enabled users (users with email addresses) and we're also responsible for maintaining worldwide access to that email, as well as securely-published applications and ensuring client/vendor connectivity as well. It seems like a lot, but in reality it flows rather well.
Definately, being in the right place at the right time is key.

Unfortunately, in this area, where there are no jobs, I'm pretty well stuck. Have had my resume out for a year, as have others here, and no one is biting. Career fairs and such.. nothing. I'm half tempted to take a bit of a pay cut, and go back to working in the warehouse where the only stress I have is not spilling my coffee on myself.

I can't wait to be out of this area. Hurry up Gov't of Canada, and let me in!
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 19 2006, 02:29 PM Wrote:working for the right employer helps too.
[right][snapback]193890[/snapback][/right]

so true