FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rear Anti-sway Suggestions Needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Need some rear anti-sway bar suggestions. It should mate up nicely with the Eibach 22mm bar I have installed currently.

Hopefully the balance will be neutral at most, light understeer at the limit at least.

Negativity and overall asshat-ness should be left unsaid/unposted. I don't have time for e-peen crap.

NOS2Go4Me,Jun 14 2006, 02:01 PM Wrote:Need some rear anti-sway bar suggestions. It should mate up nicely with the Eibach 22mm bar I have installed currently.

Hopefully the balance will be neutral at most, light understeer at the limit at least.

Negativity and overall asshat-ness should be left unsaid/unposted. I don't have time for e-peen crap.

[right][snapback]192948[/snapback][/right]

top or bottom one?
If its the rear top, i made it myself using Polished cast iron and some bolts and nuts, total cost was arount 10.00.

If its the bottom bar, then don't know.
Rear bottom anti-sway. I always refer to the top stuff as strut tower / shock tower bar. :)

I assume that's what you meant, Mo. The equivalent of the front strut tower bar ("top" bar). Or am I as blonde as blonde can be today?
I have a Progress 22mm rear bar, and the handling (so far, been on less than a week) seems to be rather neutral, but definitely more responsive.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 14 2006, 10:01 AM Wrote:Need some rear anti-sway bar suggestions. It should mate up nicely with the Eibach 22mm bar I have installed currently.
[right][snapback]192948[/snapback][/right]
What's there now? Did an SPI SE come with a sway bar? If not, you may want to start with a stock one off a ZTS or SE Sport
Nothing currently. If I go with a stock S2 rear bar, that's 21mm. That ought to be plenty, considering the front bar is 22mm. If I go with a matching Eibach rear, that's 25mm.

Then again, I hardly ever take the safest guaranteed route in life. Hmmm :D

Still take suggestions and feedback on previous installs of your own, guys. I appreciate it - keep them coming!
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 15 2006, 02:17 AM Wrote:Nothing currently. If I go with a stock S2 rear bar, that's 21mm. That ought to be plenty, considering the front bar is 22mm. If I go with a matching Eibach rear, that's 25mm.

Then again, I hardly ever take the safest guaranteed route in life. Hmmm :D

Still take suggestions and feedback on previous installs of your own, guys. I appreciate it - keep them coming!
[right][snapback]193127[/snapback][/right]

Why not go with Eibach rear as well. I've got the Eibachs F/R and they are nicely balanced (wagon) with maybe a tiny bit of oversteer. If you want to tighten up the rear a little more, go with Prothane bushings since, I think, much of the rear sway bar effect is sucked up by the rubber bushings.
Hmmm interesting, I had forgotten all about the bushings. Thanks!

*goes off to take a hard look at the Eibach rear*
i'd pick the 25mm over the 22mm if those were the only 2 choices
Put larger end links on too...like MOOG HD ones with polyeurathane or graphite bushings...this will reduce the rear torsion even more...
if you have a SPI or non-rear bar equiped focus, you need to get your hands on an adaptor kit as your car will not have mounting provisions for a rear sway bar.

there was a guy on FJ who made such and adaptor but you'll have to do a search to find it.
You mean the replacement rear sub-frame for the suspension that has the mopunt points built-in Mitch?

That was 400CDN + tx and delivery in the FRPP catalogue last time I had a quote on it from Stockfish. Given the car handles fairly well now, I'm going to have to re-evaluate it a tad.

Thanks for the heads-up! :)
no no.
there was a guy on the jet that made a sandwhich plate that clamped around the rear subframe and allowed one to bolt a rear sway bar to the adaptor.
the SPI or any Focus without a rear sway bars stock had a rear subframe that did not come with provisions for a rear sway bar. so because of this you cannot just buy the horse-shoe clamps, bolts and bushings and off you go with a aftermarket swaybar.

the adaptor i mentioned was made by a member, i'm sure if you did a search for "SPI rear swaybar" you would find it.

much cheaper than buying and shipping and entire rear subframe!
Yeah, I remember seeing that now.

What I meant was I had already priced the rear sub-frame, just in case. I'll go look for that rear sub-frame post again and see what it takes.

Uh, since they moved forums / installed the new one... it appears to be missing. I'll see if one of their resident helpers can salvage it.
Uh wait, had a brain fart.

Ordered the rear anti-sway brackets from the guy on FocalJet today. Mods, please delete the new post I just made about this. :rolleyes: