FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Booze Ban Sparks Mass Resignation At Fire Hall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Booze ban sparks mass resignation at N.L. fire hall
Last Updated Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:16:36 EDT

The entire volunteer fire department in a Newfoundland town has resigned, following a new policy that forbids drinking alcohol in the local fire hall.

The Point Leamington fire hall had doubled for years as an unofficial bar for the community of about 700 on the island's northeast coast.

Fire Chief Fraser Stuckless said he complied with a town order this spring to stop selling booze to the public.

However, he said the force of a dozen firefighters should still be allowed to enjoy a drink on special occasions.

"The other fire departments, they do have alcohol …. The alcohol is there for personal use for the firemen and, as far as I'm concerned, we should be allowed to do the same," said Stuckless.

Council is firm

However, Mayor Robert Elliott says past problems at the hall prompted the town council to take a firm position.

"The fire department has been told [on] many, many occasions, you can't sell beer. On many occasions they've never listened," Elliott said.

"This is the only solution we saw. Take it out, [and] then you can't sell what's not there."

Ruth Rideout said she and other residents are concerned about the possible loss of fire services, and why council is being so adamant on the issue.

"Is it that someone turned up drunk to a fire? We don't know. Or is it just that council wants to clean house? We don't know that either," she said.

"But I think as a town we're entitled to some answers."

The withdrawal will not leave Point Leamington altogether in the lurch. While the force will no longer do routine work from the fire hall, Stuckless said members will respond to emergency calls.

They will be upset with that for sure. But I agree that there shouldn't be any booze in the fire hall. They have to remember, they are going to be telling this to Newfies. :lol:
The dumbest thing is that the townsfolk don't seem to get that civil servants shouldn't have access to booze on the job... nevermind actually drinking the stuff. They want answers? How about a bit of recognition for the fact that you don't WANT drunk firefighters showing up to a fire.
Hey man, they're Newfies, that's like not allowing the English to drink tea before work, that just ain't right :D
lol... I was wondering when someone would notice this article I posted in here, some 8 days later lol...............
Frost! If I wasn't on vacation... I would have noticed it ASAP.

Half of my family was born in Newfoundland and many remain... so that is why I am always in touch with the Newfie news :)

SVTmonkey has a point, but then same with NOS! The Newfs will NOT like booze taken from that, but its only at best!