FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Teachers Vote In Favour Of Strike Action
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Teachers vote in favour of strike action
Updated Fri. Jun. 9 2006 1:57 PM ET

Canadian Press

VANCOUVER -- British Columbia teachers voted 85.2 per cent Friday in favour of going on strike in the fall if they are unable to negotiate a new contract with school employers.

The strike vote was taken amid contract talks that have been hung up over wage demands.

More than 30,000 teachers voted.

The B.C. Teachers Federation has been seeking a 24 per cent wage increase over four years, while the Public School Employers Association has been offering eight per cent over four years.

Teachers say that's not enough to keep their wages competitive with what their counterparts earn in Ontario and Alberta.

Federation president Jenny Sims says the vote sends a strong message to the government that teachers want a significant wage increase.

The two sides have been working toward a June 30 deadline for getting a deal in order for the 38,000 teachers to qualify for a share of bonus money offered by the provincial government.

The teachers also want improved benefits and increased professional autonomy.

The employer says the union's proposal would increase the cost of public education by $3 billion over three years.

The union says that figure is inflated but has not provided its own detailed costing.

The employers' association says its offer is in line with other public-sector pay increases this year for nurses, doctors and health-care workers.

If the parties can reach a deal before the contract expires June 30, teachers will receive a similar signing bonus to that given other public servants who recently reached deals _ about $3,700 each.

If a new contract isn't signed by the time schools reopen after the summer break, teachers would walk out in the second major shutdown of schools in less than a year, affecting about 600,000 students.

Contract talked are slated to continue Monday,

In February, Premier Gordon Campbell trumpeted a $6-billion investment to negotiate public-sector contracts this year with teachers, hospital workers, doctors and nurses.

Most other large public-sector unions have already signed agreements with the government.

B.C. teachers and the provincial government have a history of contentious relations.

Last October, teachers staged an illegal two-week strike after voting 88.4 per cent in favour of setting up picket lines to protest the government's legislation that freezes their wages until the end of June.

Teachers had demanded a 15 per cent wage increase over three years while the government offered zero as part of its public-sector wage policy.

Teachers also wanted a cap on class size and a restoration of the number of teacher-librarians, ESL teachers and counsellors to 2002 levels, when funding cuts reduced resources.

B.C. teachers have been subjected to imposed contracts four times since 1993.

The Liberals are the only government in Canada to declare education an essential service, limiting teachers' job action during contract negotiations.

An essential service designation for education means teachers can stage limited job action only after the Labour Relations Board rules what is acceptable.
dont get me started on whiny teachers.

id love to have 3mnths vaca and every holiday off too, but you dont see me crying everytime theres a contract renewal!!
my aunt used to be a teacher out in Vancouver...

it sucks out there for teachers compared to here... She cant even retire off her pension. and she taught for 25 years.
As much as I love a good teacher bashing thread, I somehow doubt that this thread will bring any new points of view out that haven't been already voiced in previous teacher topics.
Exactly...

all this site does is rehash the past... we need new issues to discuss.

such as the cleanliness of various downtown washrooms

Or the best way to bake a quiche
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:Exactly...

[right][snapback]192304[/snapback][/right]

I don't like quiche. Not a big fan of eggs really. But maybe i haven't had a good quicke before and thats the problem.

Hmmm, i wonder if anyone has a good quiche recipe?
habmann,Jun 9 2006, 06:16 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:Exactly...

[right][snapback]192304[/snapback][/right]

I don't like quiche. Not a big fan of eggs really. But maybe i haven't had a good quicke before and thats the problem.

Hmmm, i wonder if anyone has a good quiche recipe?
[right][snapback]192307[/snapback][/right]

i am literally laughing out loud right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
we could always jsut talk about Ja Rule....

but that probably would go nowhere
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 06:20 PM Wrote:we could always jsut talk about  Ja Rule....

but that probably would go nowhere
[right][snapback]192321[/snapback][/right]

Ja Rule is......

Ok i've got nothing, guess that isn't going anywhere
whats ja rule.............i am serious

stop laughing
meford4u,Jun 9 2006, 10:46 PM Wrote:whats ja rule.............i am serious

stop laughing
[right][snapback]192436[/snapback][/right]

A gan'sta Rapper. he's soo annoying and his music blows.
Watch Fast and Furious and watch for the guy who gets a free "feel" from a lady.
My gf makes a mean quiche. I don't like eggs ( or anything else that come out of a farm animals assal areas ) I can get you some reciepes.Wait better yet I'll email Ja Rule and ask what kind of quiche he likes, I assume it'll be some sort of fried chicken, malt licker and spinning rims flavour.

mmm spinning rims