FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Spring 2006 Warmest Since Records Began In 1948
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spring 2006 warmest since records began in 1948
Updated Fri. Jun. 9 2006 1:26 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Not since record keeping began almost 60 years ago has Canada experienced such a warm spring.

According to preliminary data from Environment Canada, the average temperatures of spring 2006 have been 3 degrees C above normal.

The rising mercury levels are consistent with a trend that has seen temperatures rise 1.6 degrees since 1948.

And the trend has been accelerating, with five of the warmest springs on record occurring in the last decade, data from the government agency shows.

Environment Canada says last winter was the warmest on record with temperatures 3.9 degrees above normal.

Agency climatologist Bob Whitewood attributes the rising temperatures to human-caused emissions of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.

"From where I sit, the debate is over," Whitewood told the Canadian Press.

"Globally, we're seeing a connection between CO2 increase and temperature."

Whitewood said Canadians can expect more record-breaking weather in the years to come.

"When you have a trend of increasing temperatures like we've seen, the likelihood of having a record year increases from year to year," he told CP.

"We've weighted the dice in favour of warmer conditions and we're seeing these warmer conditions."

Carbon dioxide is released by burning fossil fuels such as oil, gas and coal and Canada's emissions have risen by around 30 per cent in the past fifteen years.

MPs demand government action

Meanwhile in the Commons Thursday, MPs from all three opposition parties pressed the government to reveal its plan for curbing greenhouse gas emissions.

"When are we finally going to see this plan that the prime minister talks about every day?" demanded New Democrat Leader Jack Layton.

"How much more evidence does he need?"

Layton referred to reports of unprecedented rainfall in Antarctica and of warmer ocean temperatures that appear to be undermining Pacific salmon stocks.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said his government has already taken action by investing in public transit and making transit passes tax-deductible.

"I don't think the alarmism necessarily helps a serious debate," Harper said.

The government has not given any estimate of how much its urban transit measures will cut emissions but critics say the effect will be negligible.

The Conservatives repeatedly attacked Paul Martin's previous Liberal government for failing to curb greenhouse gas emissions and pledged a plan of their own.

But so far, there have been few indications of what the plan, if there is one, will look like.

Temperatures this spring -- which officially ends in less than two weeks -- have been 5 degrees above average in Northern Saskatchewan, Manitoba, southern Nunavut, southern Northwest Territories and northern Quebec.

With files from the Canadian Press

Frost_2001----FC.net's local newsman
Thanks ^_^
or news whore :P
crazikev,Jun 9 2006, 04:16 PM Wrote:or news whore :P
[right][snapback]192174[/snapback][/right]

and kev joins the fray
News Whore.... i like it
on mulitpul threads
Saftey Dance!
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 04:42 PM Wrote:Saftey Dance!
[right][snapback]192202[/snapback][/right]

CLASSIC!!!!
I like warm weather
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 9 2006, 05:37 PM Wrote:I like warm weather
[right][snapback]192216[/snapback][/right]

I'm all for warm weather, the humidity kills me tho. Humidity isn't fun to work in.
i want a warm summer now