FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mississauga Square One Bomb Scare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mall reopens after bomb threat evacuation
CTV.ca News Staff

Shoppers in Mississauga hastily evacuated the Square One shopping centre Tuesday over concerns of a potential bomb, but they were allowed back in inside when the bomb squad gave the all-clear.

Mall security and police officers cleared the building when a suspicious vehicle was noticed parked near the building.

A security guard noticed a green minivan near the mall's southwest entrance with wires dangling beneath the vehicle. Peel Regional Police and the bomb squad responded to the scene.

Aerial views from the CTV News helicopter showed police officers checking inside and around the vehicle while shoppers left the building. People were kept at a safe distance from the minivan.

A brief investigation by police determined the wires were connected to a light on the van's rear license plate and did not pose any danger.

The shopping centre's doors reopened for business a short time later.

Meanwhile, the vehicle's owner eventually turned-up to see the commotion caused by the dangling wires.

There is no word yet on if charges will be laid.

Yea, that's right, charge him for having wires hanging from his van!! :huh:
Yeah right... charge him because a couple of idiots went all "Terrorism! OMGWTFBBQ!" on his ass. If nothing else, charge the overzealous idiots who watch way too much 24.
Why would you park your car/van unattended if it was in that state near a mall entrance? thats just asking for trouble. If I had a White unmarked van with tinted windows parked in a similar proximity to a mall entrance, Im sure people would question my presence too. And Wires hanging from a rear licence plate WTF? fix it.. If you can afford to spend time at a mall then you can afford to fix your licence plate lights; after all how much does a bulb cost anyways?
This is clearly a case of overreaction driven by current events and the media.

I mean a pair of dangling wires (Which could have been anything from faulty license plate wiring to trailer hitch wiring for crying out loud <_< ) should not be enough to bring out the bomb squad for crying out loud but this is the world we now live in....

Enjoy :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
paolo,Jun 7 2006, 09:20 AM Wrote:Why would you park your car/van unattended if it was in that state near a mall entrance? thats just asking for trouble.    If I had a White unmarked van with tinted windows parked in a similar proximity to a mall entrance, Im sure people would question my presence too.    And Wires hanging from a rear licence plate WTF?  fix it.. If you can afford to spend time at a mall then you can afford to fix your licence plate lights; after all how much does a bulb cost anyways?
[right][snapback]191787[/snapback][/right]

He's probably a cheap-company delivery driver, no? What delivery driver wants to waste time they could be getting paid dinking with a company vehicle?

I've done the same thing... parked at an entrance, grabbed something and came back out... or just waited for someone and then left.

This is the kind of asshat OMGTERRORISTSWTF crap that we inherit from the land of paranoia, aka the US of A. It's bulls*** and it needs to stop. Finding terrorists and taking away their boom boom toys = good. Over-reacting to a damn van = stupid.