FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Udp Revelations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wasn't expecting this. We ran out to Sudbury last weekend to Sara's Dad's place. Spent the weekend bumming around, helping my brother-in-law buy a new laptop, etc.

I rang up just over 300KMs from a full tank (indicated). I parked it with a little less than 5/8ths Sunday afternoon. I had the A/C on all the way back cause Sara was napping and it was too damn loud with the windows down.

I lost (what felt like) almost no power, compared to the stock crank pulley. It blew my mind. I couldn't get over it. I would pull from 60-70KM/H in a town area to 100-110 on the TransCanada in a hair over what I did with the A/C off. DANG.

Cruising uphill, at 110, with the A/C on was just as easy as with it off. I caught myself checking it two or three times just to make sure it was actually on.

Gotta love cheap power :D
I still need to do this mod.

I'm chicken my car will break though.

My car doesn't like change.
I originally wanted to do UDP's but I have since read too many things on FJ and FF about the crank pully having the potential to cause damage because it doesn't have a damper like the the factory one. And since the the dash lights tend to flicker a bit every once in a while on the SVT (not nearly as bad as it used be before the tune), underdriving the alternator isn't one of the things on my short list either.
I've read the posts on FJ too, and they all say that its dangerous without the harmonic dampener. However, there have also been no stories of the crank cracking/premature bearing wear as a result of a UDP, even from regular autocrossers.

Installed mine last weekend, love it. Surprised how much of a difference it made, despite the 2-3whp they are only supposed to give (yes, I know it doesn't ADD power, but reduces parasitic losses).
believe that the Zetec is internally balanced. had a set on my old ZX3, and didn't really have a problem with the UDPs.
Upgrade the ground wires and get a deep cycle battery in place of the stock one and the headlights will not flicker at all.

I'm running 3 amps in the hatch fairly hard and nothing. I upgraded the stock wiring to 1/0 guage and at idle am reading 14.45 - 14.88 volts with the defroster, headlights, foglights, and the stereo running at mid levels. The lowest I've seen it dip was 13.85 but it just popped back up to mid 14s.
Which UDP do you guys recommend?
I think this is one mod I'm gonna stay away from, I wanna keep my car for a long time.
DadsToy,Jun 8 2006, 02:01 PM Wrote:Which UDP do you guys recommend?
[right][snapback]191997[/snapback][/right]

Stay away from the AEM. Its just an alternator pulley, which does almost nothing, and is a royal PITA to install. I have a MAC, and there were some fitment issues.

People on FJ seem to love the AFX unit, and the FC 2-piece kit allows you to keep the stock belt.
I think Hellsing... or something like that makes a good one. Can't remember the name exactly. Maybe someone can jump in.
I recall that there was some grinding that needed to be done for the "good" crank UDP kits on the Zetec. You needed to alter the timing belt guard or somesuch.

On the SPI, it was completely bolt-n-go. No issues after 4 months now. And as mentioned in another post... there's almost no power loss at speed with the AC on. It's insane.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 20 2006, 10:27 AM Wrote:I recall that there was some grinding that needed to be done for the "good" crank UDP kits on the Zetec. You needed to alter the timing belt guard or somesuch.

On the SPI, it was completely bolt-n-go. No issues after 4 months now. And as mentioned in another post... there's almost no power loss at speed with the AC on. It's insane.
[right][snapback]194179[/snapback][/right]

The lower timing cover has a small lip around where the stock pulley was. With a smaller pulley, the belt would contact it, and kill the belt. I took a dremel and took it off.
I have a FC/Esslinger UDP 3-peice kit....don't want/need it....might be for sale for a decent price...
$80 ?
Since you have a 01 your 5yrs late :D

I have the 1st G FC big UPD and for everyone that afraid it will kill something I have it for 5yrs and over 150k km on it. @ 210k km I am still on the orginal battery.

for starter, UPD/catback/groundwire/ported TB/intake is a must for zetec focus.
im installin mine under pulley kit prob next week...

p.s.
whoever done it at the auto shop how much did it cost you?

i have a quote for $55 cash to install mine Focus Central
NikiterZTS,Jul 13 2006, 12:43 PM Wrote:im installin mine under pulley kit prob next week...

p.s.

[right][snapback]197404[/snapback][/right]

Just do it yourself, it ain't that hard. Takes like maybe 20 min.

Or get a friend to do it, tell him "Half a case now, and half a case when the job's done."

Actually that might not be a good idea, probably should give him the whole case beforehand. :D
Oscar The Grouch,Jul 13 2006, 11:59 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Jul 13 2006, 12:43 PM Wrote:im installin mine under pulley kit prob next week...

p.s.

Just do it yourself, it ain't that hard. Takes like maybe 20 min.

Or get a friend to do it, tell him "Half a case now, and half a case when the job's done."

Actually that might not be a good idea, probably should give him the whole case beforehand. :D
[right][snapback]197408[/snapback][/right]

Just don't start drinking till after the test drive. LOL.

My FC 3 piece came in the mail today. I will do the instal next weekend. I will post my results once completed.

p.s.

I think it was an hour's labour... 1 1/2 tops. I had some other stuff done at the same time, and the receipt is buried upstairs with the rest of 'em. It's just enough of a pain in the ass that doing it in the driveway is... interesting. I had mine put on in January, and I'm sure as s*** not doing that in North Bay at that time of year.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 13 2006, 09:27 PM Wrote:and I'm sure as s*** not doing that in North Bay at that time of year.
[right][snapback]197468[/snapback][/right]

Dude, remember we have access to a shop facility with a heated floor. :D
Pages: 1 2