FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tuner Friendly Insurance Companies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I am looking at installing a PowerWorks supercharger and Borla cat-back exhaust on my 2000 Ford Focus. I currently use President's Choice for my insurance, but they won't insure me if I get the work done.

Can someone recommend an Ontario-based company that would insure me? I'm 27 years old, perfect driving record, no claims or accidents.

Thanks,
Joseph
Not to sount abrasive...but

GOOD LUCK.

Especially with all the press lately about people getting killed streetracing.

I think most people on here do it without the insurance co. knowing.

Except Meford, but he's insured his car as a "show car" I think.
try lant insurance in stouffville

Lant Insurance
I never told my insurance, had an at fault accident, insurance didn't complain. Course this was over 3 years ago, but still....not sure if its worth the extra cost. Definetly if I had to tell my insurance company now what I've got done to my car they would probably skyrocket my rates.

Telling your insurance company is a BAD idea... :)
You will end up paying more than it is worth, I guess you could keep lookin to see if you can find any cheaper rates
pfft... good luck. I looked for 6 months trying to insure a supercharged SVT. and well, the only company that would touch me was facility association. and well, that was 10k+ a year
just ask for a lipstick when you try to insure your car ;)

afterall, wouldn't you like a kiss before you get f***ed :)
just drive it and if it gets stolen who cares, you loose 3K, if you tell your insurance company they will probably charge you that much extra every year just bc you have the charger on the car.
its a chance that you might have to take on this one.
the biggest problem is if you get into a bad accident. and the supercharger cant be removed before the adjuster comes...
Its a chance you gotta take, if your willing to take it. If you want to try my insurance company call Pilot Insurance. They might insure you but who knows!
You guys have to remember that the car is in my name. And I am turning 40 this year. I told the insurance company about everything and had an appraisal done so if the car was in an accident, I received 100% of the appraised value. But it was a fight with lawyers involved. In the end I am glad I told them and I am still insured for full coverage, but in your case, and I have to assume your under 25, you probably would not be able to afford the insurance if you told them.
[Image: 972.png]

It might be you're only hope.
Pilot Insurance kicks ass....I use them myself...
Update...

Based on the recommendation, I went to http://www.pilot.ca and selected the "Find a local Broker" link, and emailed a couple of the companies listed. Already two of them have replied. One of them said "We don't insure modified vehicles" and the second is going to do some research and get back to me. They've already said that the price will be higher than at President's Choice Financial, my current insurance company, but we'll see...

I'm definitely going to need to insure the car properly. I'm turning 28 in a couple of months, and there is NO WAY I am willing to take the risk of getting into a serious accident and getting sued. I'm not worried about the replacement value of the car, I'm worried about the liability insurance.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great forum!
Joseph
Did I not mention more than once to NOT tell them the car is modded? lol! Dood, you will find life a lot easier if you don't say anything about them mods of yours (or ones yet to come).

Geez, I work for the MAN, and I am encouraging people to bend/distort the truth for personal gain (well, personal gain/benefit for guys like joedeals)...lol
Update #2...

Trigon Insurance
"Our regular insurance markets do not insure modified vehicle which increases performance - - for whatever reason."

Paul Landry Insurance
"Thank you for you email. However it is best you stay with President Choice because it is difficult to insure a vehicle that has been modified."

Still haven't heard back from the others, and am awaiting more information from John Shea Insurance. BTW- These are all Ottawa based insurance companies.

Joseph
good luck

Glad my car is stock :rofl:
Update #3...

Just got off the phone with John Shea Insurance. The lady was really nice, and contacted a lot of different companies on my behalf.

Unfortunately, there are no companies (including Pilot) that will insure a modified vehicle. My only other option is to get Facility Association insurance, and the application fee alone is $500!!!

Looks like no SC for me... :( For me, not worth the risk of getting sued big time.

Joseph
application fee? s***, i guess i got lucky they didnt charge me for a quote.
hardk0re,Jun 9 2006, 08:41 AM Wrote:good luck

Glad my car is stock  :rofl:
[right][snapback]192066[/snapback][/right]

yeah me to. :ph34r:
Pages: 1 2