FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Becel Ride For Heart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, thanks to everyone who donated money to me for this great event!..

I didn't bring my camera as I'm usually too busy trying to draft faster riders to take pictures of the event, but here's how things shaped up..

5:00am Alarm goes off.. "UGHHHHHHhhhhhhh"
5:30am Roll out of bed.. "Brrrrr.r... .cold!"
6:00am Pack up the bike and bottles of water...
6:45am ride down to Exhibition place.
7:20am grab a bite to eat at the corporate table.. hmmm.. fat free muffins and strawberry bannana orange juice.
7:45am line up for the start
8:00am THe event officially starts, and I start threading my way through bike traffic as I head up the lakeshore onramp to the gardiner expressway. I find a couple of roadies and a tandem who are riding slightly faster than I and I fall into their draft to beat the wind.

This year was a bit different than other years in that the wind was blowing southwest, not coming off the lake like in previous years, so you suffer up the climbs, but you don't have to suffer the wind coming back... woot!

I decide to turn around at the 25km turnaround point as I didn't wish to do the full 50k as I still needed to be alive enough to do work this afternoon.

On my way back, a girl who used to courier in vancouver pulled alongside to compliment my choice of brakes on my bike as she was running the same front brake as mine. So we chatted and rode, and in less than half an hour were back at the starting point.

Event volunteers offered us foam hats and a free polaroid... so what the hey..
[Image: rideforheart.jpg]

so in all, I did the 25 km route in 1 hour and 2 minutes, averaging just over 24km/hr.. which isn't bad for a fat guy... I passed my fair share of people and had a great time.... and with the ride to and from home, I put in just shy of 60km on my bike today.

coupled with 8 hours of work (and counting), it's been a pretty productive day!

thanks again for your donations!
nice, so were you on DVP or gardner? i guess the 25K would be just do gardner and back to exhibition place?

mo_focus,Jun 4 2006, 08:57 PM Wrote:nice, so were you on DVP or gardner? i guess the 25K would be just do gardner and back to exhibition place?
[right][snapback]191261[/snapback][/right]

25 k is across the gardiner to the DVP to bayview exit, around that, and then back on the DVP to the gardiner to exhibition.
the more important question is.......did you get her number???
ZX5focused,Jun 4 2006, 09:30 PM Wrote:the more important question is.......did you get her number???
[right][snapback]191274[/snapback][/right]

she had to go off and have a smoke... so I went in the direction of clean air.

and besides there's a totally hawt graphic artist/drummer chick I want to hit on at volleyball this week :P
I deem that picture......

'photochop worthy'!

:lol:
darkpuppet,Jun 4 2006, 09:42 PM Wrote:
ZX5focused,Jun 4 2006, 09:30 PM Wrote:the more important question is.......did you get her number???
[right][snapback]191274[/snapback][/right]

she had to go off and have a smoke... so I went in the direction of clean air.

and besides there's a totally hawt graphic artist/drummer chick I want to hit on at volleyball this week :P
[right][snapback]191284[/snapback][/right]

hahaha
nice
i cant stand women that smoke...especially the hot ones
Congratulations Darkpuppet, you did you thing for charity the hard way :D I have to stick to donating in a more sedate manner (Dropped an @$$load of cash at the Anime North charity auction, all the $ raised going to Sick Kids Hospital, who says anime geeks don't have hearts ;))

NefCanuck
The wind was pretty strong yesterday. It took much longer going up than I expected. In our group I was paired up with a much slower girl who had problems with her gears.

We ended up doing the full 50km. At the turnaround point a York Mills, I took off solo because I had other commitments later in the day and I was running out of time. The trip back down took half the time as the first leg. There were some points down the DVP that I was pedalling as fast as I could in top gear. I don't think I have ever been that fast on my bike!

Overall, a great day for a good cause.