FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Street Racing Death In Toronto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
at least there's one less street racer on the roads, but surprisingly enough... Old guys do it too..

Quote:Just days after a husband and wife who were killed by an alleged street racer were laid to rest, police claim the dangerous and illegal activity has resulted in another death.

A two-car collision authorities allege was caused by street racing closed the intersection of Mavis and Eglinton for several hours early Sunday morning.

Police say a Porsche and a Mercedes were travelling northbound on Mavis when the Porsche crossed the centre line and slammed into a southbound vehicle.

The 31-year-old driver of the Porsche was killed and the driver and the passenger in the other vehicle were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Authorities later arrested a 39-year-old man who’s accused of driving the Mercedes and he’s now facing charges of dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm.

time for the cops to start cracking down on porches and mercedes as they're leading the current spate of crashes.
This won't make insurance woes any easier neither.
well that brings the death count caused by street racing this year to 8 now.
darkpuppet,Jun 4 2006, 04:07 PM Wrote:at least there's one less street racer on the roads, but surprisingly enough... Old time for the cops to start cracking down on porches and mercedes as they're leading the current spate of crashes.
[right][snapback]191200[/snapback][/right]

Well said and the freaking idiots want to pan after market parts and they wanted to ban honda civics. i wonder what do politians think sometimes. There was a program on TV while back and ppl were talking about baning aftermarket parts bc it makes kids race.

As you can see this crash has nothing to do with aftermarket parts nor honda civic. Its got to do with two older guys racing their toys.

Its time for cops/polititans to think smart about street racing and leave the freaking aftermarket companies alone. After all I can just go and buy a Neon with over 200Hp or a Cobalt SS with 220HP and this is from the dealeships with 3 yr warranty on it.

Start building tracks/drag strips near TO and stop harrasing ppl when they actualy go to these events. Every year at darknights you get these freaking cops stoping ppl and harrasing them bc their car is lowered or it has blue lights.
mo_focus,Jun 4 2006, 03:53 PM Wrote:Well said and the freaking idiots want to pan after market parts and they wanted to ban honda civics. i wonder what do politians think sometimes. There was a program on TV while back and ppl were talking about baning aftermarket parts bc it makes kids race.
[right][snapback]191212[/snapback][/right]
It might have been Live@5:30 on CHCH.

I wrote them a letter that they read on-air the next night.

Quote:Mark,

I wholeheartedly agree that street racing should be illegal, and measures should be taken to stop it. It is a tragedy that people died in these recent accidents.

However, stopping people from modding their cars do not necessarily stop street racing, it only targets a small group of people who are doing it.

There are many cars out there that come with more power "out of the box" than anything a modded Honda Civic will put out. A Neon SRT-4, Chevy Cobalt SS, Subaru WRX, Mustangs, Corvettes, Chrysler 300M; I could go on and on.

Are we going to ban BMW M3s? Because really, nobody needs to be able to drive 250km/hr and do 0 to 100k in 5.2 seconds. What about Vettes? Porsches?

If you look at the root of the problem, it's not the car, it's the driver.

The reason why the Civics are modded is because it is by young,
inexperienced drivers that choose the Civic because it is cheap. (And no, I'm not young, inexperienced or reckless; I'm nearly 40 with a clean record, and have been driving over 20 years).

The last thing we need is the government making more blanket policies that remove more of the things (hobbies) that people enjoy. Target the root of the problem, not the symptom. Toughen the laws on street racing. Impound racers' cars. Take their licenses.

But don't punish everyone for a small cross-section of irresponsible
drivers.

Regards,

(Me)
/\/\/\/\ KUDOS!!!

And yeah, modding has nothing to do with street racing as a whole. It is meant to be a hobby, be fun, and be an expression of ones tastes, etc.

Well said...
OAC_Sparky I can't agree more with you!!!!!!
That's right where I live... I was driving home late lastnite. I usually turn left onto eglington from mavis but last nite, I couldn't. I saw some emergency vehicles and their lights from a distance ahead blocking off the intersection.. I had to take a sidestreet to get home because it looked as if they blocked off some partial lanes at that intersection.. I was wondering what the heck happened last nite, this was at 2:45-3pm till I turned on the news this morning and watched the news to see what really went down.

its very unfortunate.
OAC_Sparky,Jun 4 2006, 11:02 PM Wrote:It might have been Live@5:30 on CHCH.

I wrote them a letter that they read on-air the next night.

[right][snapback]191233[/snapback][/right]

Kudos to you for writting that, I wrote to them as well. I was very upset at the idiot that was saying that, also the lady reporter wanted speed limits on cars to cut off at 100km/Hr, :wtf:

Didnt the US do that in the 80's, they limited the cars to only 80MPH only.:rofl:

so the guy who is being charged is Allan Kippax of Miss. interestingly he has been in the news in the last lil while. He is the CEO of Emrald Pyramid. As for Peter(the guy that passed away) he was working in the whitby office.

I let you guys decide on the type of person they are.
Here are the links
http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/story/to_pyramid20040512.html
http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot_emeralds20040512.html

so you might be asking yourself what does this have to do with them street racing? your thoughts please :)