FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Q Engine Oil, From Quaker State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering does anyone use Q Engine Oil?

Which one suits better with the focus. Advanced Engine Full Synthetic or High-RPM Synthetic Blend? Q From Quaker State
I work for Castrol so I use Syntec 5W20.

But as far as I am concerned, oil is oil.
i used whatever 5w30 happened to be cheapest for my focus.
Mobil 1 FTW!!

it's on sale now at partssource.
nass,Jun 4 2006, 08:44 AM Wrote:Mobil 1 FTW!!

it's on sale now at partssource.
[right][snapback]191192[/snapback][/right]

+1

Used Syntec on the last turbo car I owned... burned it like there was no tomorrow.

My 4x4 was in no way hi-po, so it got regular dino.

The Focus is now on Mobil, and I have no complaints whatsoever. Its a consistently a top-rated, genuine full synthetic.
i don't think its the oil's fault your car was burning it?

i just went to that partssource.ca website. 1 gallon jug + 1 qt bottle (5qt total) was 30cdn so $6/qt. that's on sale.. geeeez. that's expensive!!

and IMHO i really don't think the focus needs synth oil. its got.. pretty low compression, doesn't rev high, no FI, what is the point of synth in that kind of powerplant? its not like the oil is going to be super stressed out in there..
naz,Jun 4 2006, 10:24 AM Wrote:i used whatever 5w30 happened to be cheapest for my focus.
[right][snapback]191188[/snapback][/right]

:blink: 5w30? That must have been unique to earlier models of the Focus, 'cause the +05's all demand 5W20 semi synth juice at least

NefCanuck
All Foci "require" 5-20

The reality is that descision was made by Ford for a slight increase in fuel economy. I won't run it in my Focus, I've run 5-30 since the day I factory ordered my ZX5. Even the dealership I bought the car at recommends against it.

I buy the autolab oil crappy tire sells for $7 a jug and change it every 10K kms. I've done this same routine with every car I've owned.

-1996 Contour 2.5 24V, 5-30 cheap oil - 126K (sold, still runs)

-1982 VW Jetta 1.7 8V, 10-30 cheap oil - owned since 1984, had just under 700K on it when it was stolen, ran great, all cylinders had great compression. I actually went two years at one point without an oil change because I really didn't care at the time.

-1988 Nissan Micra 1.2L 8V, 10-30 cheap oil - 278K, runs as good as new

-1994 Ranger 4.0 320K, ditto

-2002 Focus zetec 90K, 5-30 cheap oil - Ran so good it hit a light pole...

-2003 Focus zetec, so far I've only put 9K on this car - I might switch to synthetic when break the 250whp mark but until then I'll stick to the 5-30 cheap stuff.
NefCanuck,Jun 5 2006, 03:44 AM Wrote:
naz,Jun 4 2006, 10:24 AM Wrote:i used whatever 5w30 happened to be cheapest for my focus.

:blink: 5w30? That must have been unique to earlier models of the Focus, 'cause the +05's all demand 5W20 semi synth juice at least

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]191328[/snapback][/right]

yea i had a 2000 zx3. so the 05+ focus says semi synth or full synth only in the owner's manual? wow that's kinda sucky.. oil changes cost more..
01 ZX3 Dino 5-20 for the first bit, then moved onto 5-30 Synthetic
03 SVT - 5-30 Synthetic since i got it..

05 300c - Demands 5w20 so the MDS functions correctly
I run whatever 5W20 FoMoCo has their techs install for oil changes.
naz,Jun 5 2006, 01:29 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jun 5 2006, 03:44 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]191328[/snapback][/right]

yea i had a 2000 zx3. so the 05+ focus says semi synth or full synth only in the owner's manual? wow that's kinda sucky.. oil changes cost more..
[right][snapback]191339[/snapback][/right]

:huh: Yeah it's about $20 more than oil changes with the Olds was (My dealer charges $48 + taxes for a LOF) Over the long haul its a bit more but I intend to keep this thing for the long haul so I'll just take the whacks on maintenance (Due for the 40K service in July, not looking forward to that lemme tell ya <_< )

NefCanuck
naz,Jun 4 2006, 03:01 PM Wrote:i don't think its the oil's fault your car was burning it?

and IMHO i really don't think the focus needs synth oil.  its got.. pretty low compression, doesn't rev high, no FI, what is the point of synth in that kind of powerplant? its not like the oil is going to be super stressed out in there..
[right][snapback]191227[/snapback][/right]

The thing was, it DIDN'T burn the dino Pennzoil I ran for a bit before making the switch to synth.

Synthetic isn't just for high output engines. The longer service intervals that it allows is worth it alone. Combine that with superior lubrication, and its a no-brainer. Most people are put off by the initial cost, and can't see the long term savings.
naz,Jun 4 2006, 10:01 PM Wrote:i don't think its the oil's fault your car was burning it?

i just went to that partssource.ca website.  1 gallon jug + 1 qt bottle (5qt total) was 30cdn so $6/qt. that's on sale.. geeeez. that's expensive!!

and IMHO i really don't think the focus needs synth oil.  its got.. pretty low compression, doesn't rev high, no FI, what is the point of synth in that kind of powerplant? its not like the oil is going to be super stressed out in there..
[right][snapback]191227[/snapback][/right]

last oil change it cost me near $60 to do it. But then again I change my oil 2-3 times a year depending on my milage
Casper,Jun 5 2006, 09:01 PM Wrote:Synthetic isn't just for high output engines. The longer service intervals that it allows is worth it alone. Combine that with superior lubrication, and its a no-brainer. Most people are put off by the initial cost, and can't see the long term savings.
[right][snapback]191468[/snapback][/right]

i'm not sure about 'superior lubrication'. i was under the impression that the viscosity is the same but the sheer resistance of synth is better. the additive package is also different, hard to say if its 'better' or not. i hvae heard better defined as the level of zinc and phosphorus, and i don't think the levels in synth are necessary higher.

one example that comes readily comes to mind is tranny fluid for wrx. general consensus is that the dino OE tranny oil is better (better defined as properly lubricates the tranny) over synth gear oil

as for the longer service interval, i'm not sold. i think we would have to get some oil samples and take a look at the metal levels and compare the % of the additive package left versus a new sample

subaru != ford, but subaru's position was no synth period, and then softened it to full synth but no extended interval changes.

for what its worth, i run dino oil in my bike (only 3k miles) and changed it 3 times already. for my car i run mobil 1 full synth (EGTs in the car are 1450F on highway cruise and oil runs thru the turbo, so i feel better having the synth) and change every 3k miles.. if i had a NA car with low compression i'd be using dino at $2/qt and change every 3k miles

Working for Castrol I have learned that NEVER go over the recomended service interval when running synthetic oil on a car covered under a warranty. You can do that after you warranty is gone. You will never convince your service department that your 8000 or 10000km oil change interval wasn't the reason your engine failed if that was ever to happen (not saying that it will but why be sorry). Here are some points taken right from the Castrol web site. I know its normal marketing talk but you can say this about any good synthetic motor oil.

Quote:  SYNTEC provides superior protection against deposits. Corrosive particles such as acid, soot and oxidized fuel fragments can cause costly damage to critical engine parts.

SYNTEC contains a Powerful Additive Package that neutralizes corrosive particles, preventing them from grouping together and forming sludge.  Neutralizes acids in your engine that can cause rust and corrosion on vital engine parts such as cylinders, bearings and hydraulic valve lifters.

SYNTEC meets the world's toughest gasoline engine protection requirements.

SYNTEC provides Stability & Endurance under extreme conditions (heat, load, speed) that can cause conventional oils to break down.

SYNTEC delivers the ultimate performance under high-temperature conditions: unsurpassed protection against volatility burn-off and viscosity increase.

SYNTEC can be used with confidence in every gasoline engine passenger car, new or old, regardless of oil previously used.

SYNTEC is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils.

SYNTEC offers a level of protection that Outperforms All Leading Conventional Oils, passing severe industry torture tests.

I am in no way pushing Castrol oil on anyone but I am showing the bennifits of synthetic's in general. Take the above in any way you wish.
I was looking at Q the other day, when I install the PW kit you have to put 5w30 fully synthetic in it..

so i was going for Q, because it was the cheapest out of the lot for the fully synthetic ($6.99 a bottle)

but for now, I use cheap-o 5w20 oil in it, and it hasnt burned any at all, never, in the 6 years it has been running.

so chances are, the 5w30 fully synth will not burn..