FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ttc Can Gargle My Bag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found out there was a strike on the way to work. Uncomfortable shoes, tie and long sleeved shirt.

It't hot as hell out too. Why is an organization as imprtant as the transit system allowed to strike without warning?

And a month after a fare hike?

I'm getting tired of this.
ANTHONYD,May 29 2006, 09:15 AM Wrote:Just found out there was a strike on the way to work. Uncomfortable shoes, tie and long sleeved shirt.

It't hot as hell out too. Why is an organization as imprtant as the transit system allowed to strike without warning?

And a month after a fare hike?

I'm getting tired of this.
[right][snapback]190129[/snapback][/right]

it's not a short walk to bloor either... that sucks man.

traffic on my street has been backed up all morning (working from home to squeeze an extra 2 hours of work in the day)

friggin' ttc
You should see the size of the frickin' blister I got too. And it;s deep. Right on the ball of my foot. :angry:
There's too many stories being said all at once, its confusion to even find out how it all started... The Union boss is claiming the workers were locked out, the workers are claiming they have unfair working conditions like being assulted and the ttc is doing nothing to help them, the maintenance crew is claiming they are being forced to work the nite shift. The shop stewarts are saying they are doing that to save job layoffs, plus they cant shut down the ttc at nite. Miller is saying its an unauthorized strike or whatever the media is callaing this. But most importantly, the commuters are upset there was very little notice was brought to their attention.
Ok I'll update this since I just heard this on the radio. The main reason for the strike is that they are trying to move the maintenance crew to the night shift to save money and they don't want that. - ghey

There is also a cease and desist in place to force them to get back to work. Also this is a wild cat strike not a legal one. Meaning they can and most likely will be charged for this.

I hope they do cause their reasons are just petty and stupid. At least they HAVE jobs.
It's all bulls***. The TTC is like the mob, they act and then give you some vague roundabout way for the cause. It's absolute horses*** in every way. The TTC should NEVER be allowed to strike. Are there any other major cities in N.A. that have a privately owned transit company running the city? And if there is, do they have the same problems?

Every 6 months the TTC cries the blues, strikes, fare hikes, reduced service cancellations delays etc....I'm held up more by the TTC than the GO Transit (and the GO is a freakin' joke in itself) Why can our transit service not actually serve?

I have a client meeting in 10 min. and the office is still empty.
FIRE THEM ALL! Then hire non-union employees. :lol:
I can understand their being upset, but they got to understand now some people will need to pay 100's of dollars a day just to get to work if they don't have a car, friends or someone in the area with the same schedule.

From what I hear at work the cabs are making the best of this situation, supply vs demand...
So I get to see a treat when I get there today? Nice!
I don't ride the TTC much, and really when I do I feel it's too much when I use the Subway, if anything they should be fired, and hire a company under contrat because then everything would run smoother I think
well if it helps anyone, here is the most upto date talk of what's going on and alternate routes and traffic suggestions so click the link

http://www.toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local...hub=TorontoHome
Apparently the strike is over...how long it will take them to get service back and running...remains to be seen.
ANTHONYD,May 29 2006, 07:26 PM Wrote:Apparently the strike is over...how long it will take them to get service back and running...remains to be seen.
[right][snapback]190233[/snapback][/right]

5PM today.. if not the mayor has issued marshall law.
earlier he said it would take a minimum 3 hrs to get it all up and running normally.
You didn't hear it from me, but be on notice, that we may wildcat at Ford very soon.

But don't tell anyone I told ya.

Top Secret.
nass,May 29 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:5PM today.. if not the mayor has issued marshall law.
[right][snapback]190240[/snapback][/right]

I would pay to see that.
Oscar The Grouch,May 29 2006, 01:37 PM Wrote:FIRE THEM ALL!  Then hire non-union employees. :lol:
[right][snapback]190142[/snapback][/right]

I agree with you on that Oscar.
so 7:30 rolls around and the busses and subway still isn't going here... or so the mile long lineups and gaggle of people on cellphones hailing cabs at yonge and davisville would lead me to believe.

A co-worker was down in the area and I charitably offered him a ride home to thornhill.

The round trip took me about an hour... I could imagine how long it would have taken the poor guy had he had to suffer the TTC.