FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Audi:labels Chevrolet Volt As A Car For “idiots”
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Audi president labels Chevrolet Volt as a car for “idiots”
09/03/2009
Source: Leftlanenews

The upcoming Chevrolet Volt may promise a 230 mpg city rating, but not everyone in the automotive community is convinced the buying public is ready for a $40,000 electric car. Not surprisingly, Audi president Johan de Nysschen – an avid diesel supporter – is dubious of the Volt, even going as far as to call it a “car for idiots”.

de Nysschen’s biggest gripe with the Volt is its estimated $40,000 price tag. Although that price competes with mid-size luxury sedans, de Nysschen points out that the car itself is more in line with $25,000 competition. As such, the Volt might struggle to find buyers.

“No one is going to pay a $15,000 premium for a car that competes with a (Toyota) Corolla,” de Nysschen told MSN. “So there are not enough idiots who will buy it.”

de Nysschen admits plug-in hybrids have an advantage over diesel in stop-and-go driving, but feels the majority of hybrid buyers are still trying to make a statement. “They’re for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are,” he added.

Although Audi has some hybrid vehicles on the way, the German automaker will rely heavily on its diesel technology to increase fuel economy and reduce overall emissions. Compared to standard gas engines, Audi’s diesel consume 25 percent less fuel and emit up to 35 percent fewer Co2 emissions – all while saving costs over a typical hybrid system.

In the end, de Nysschen predicts the Volt will be a sales flop, with the government intervening – once again – to keep the program afloat.
The Chevy Volt is only a Toyota Prius and it may not even happen.
Read RPM Magazine for more details
I think he has a point... it's a huge price premium for a crappy little car.

and then you have the problems of getting it towed, getting it serviced, etc, etc, etc.

and, sure, it promises amazing fuel economy in the city, but then you have a lot of cars that promise better long range fuel economy... VW's got 3 diesels with over 60mpg IIRC.
The VW tourag is available with a deisel. Yumm....its just to much coin though. :(
I've been saying that for years. Diesels rule! :)

i've been putting about 40$ worth of fuel and can travel about 1100-1200kms. No pluggin reguired, no overnight charge, no i can't go out tonite bc i have to charge my car crap! :)

Audi is coming with the new 2.0TDi in thier A3's soon, also the A4-5 might begetting the TDi as well. Also the Q7 and Q5 will be V6 TDI's as well.

As for VW, 2010 Golf, Jetta, Tiguan and TouregII will have the new TDi.
I heard someone explain the insane price premium for the Volt (compared to what the car actually is) and the explanation made a sick kind of sense.

Part of the price premium covers the likely replacement of the battery pack under warranty!

If the story is true, props to GM for covering their asses well :blink:

NefCanuck
Scorcher000,Sep 3 2009, 01:34 PM Wrote:The Chevy Volt is only a Toyota Prius and it may not even happen.
Read RPM Magazine for more details
[right][snapback]293724[/snapback][/right]

I didn't know that! Crazy...
i do not see the 100% electric car as a good idea i least right now with the technology available to us. what i do foresee is smaller cc gas turbo cars and turbo diesel cars ruling the rust when it comes to fuel mileage.

I wonder if GM will buy them back and crush them like they did the GM EV1 in the 90s...
If the battery tech / electric power storage tech of ANY kind was worthwhile, I guarantee the automakers who aren't intimately involved with hybrids right now would be singing a MUCH different tune.

I guess a rough analogy would be moving from a house with electric heat and hot water to a house with forced-air natural gas heat and natural gas-fired hot water. Better yet, one of those on-demand hot water systems. When you can heat for a fraction of the price of electric heat (ironic, isn't it?), why not?

It's a gas-burning mindset we all have, nothing more. If all of our daily routines could be (and indeed, many could) standardized around an electric vehicle, or electric-primary vehicle, we'd do it. There have been several times now when I've reassured myself that the "toys" that fit behind the Escape are coming, and that justifies my V6 4WD purchase.

I mean, even the new Hybrids are rated to tow 1,000lbs. My little utility trailer is hardly rated for 1200 gross.

I'm going to need a hell of a reason not to get a hybrid 4WD vehicle on my next purchase, or whatever the city-geared transportation type is at that time, given my mostly city driving bias.