FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Six Die During Tragic Victoria Day Long Weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Six die during tragic Victoria Day long weekend
CTV.ca News Staff

Tragedy marred the season's first long weekend as six people died in boating and swimming accidents in Ontario waters during cold and blustery conditions.

Three middle-aged residents from Richmond Hill and Stouffville died Sunday after the 18-foot boat they were in capsized.

Albert Chow, 51, Duylunong Diep, 54, and Holland Chow, 54, were among seven passengers aboard the pleasure craft that was flooded with high waves on Rice Lake, about 150 kilometres northeast of Toronto.

Two men and two women, ranging in age from 17 to 59 years, managed to swim safely back to shore through the choppy waters.

Ontario Provincial Police said those who died weren't wearing life-jackets when they plunged into the icy water, and those who survived were.

The unseasonably cool and wintery Victoria Day long weekend weather contributed to the death of a 27-year-old man.

Police said he drowned in cold, rough water in Lake Simcoe, north of Toronto, when he tried to swim from McCrae Provincial Park to nearby Strawberry Island.

A Picton man believed to be about 25 years old drowned while canoeing on Wolf Lake northeast of Peterborough after his vessel overturned.

Also, a 70-year-old man drowned near Sault Ste. Marie.

Meanwhile, a Pickering man is missing after his sailboat was found in Lake Ontario near Rochester, New York.

The unidentified man left Pickering on Saturday in an eight-metre craft bound for Newcastle, but he never arrived at his destination.

Three teens nearly died Saturday when strong winds blew their paddleboat into the middle of Lake Couchiching, near Orillia, and waves began deluging their vessel.

The teens, who were not wearing life-jackets, were rescued when one of them used a cellphone to call 911.
This is terrible news and you should work on the news or something. You seem really into it.

My cousin, whose 15 years old, was walking home on Sunday night. He was literally like 50 steps from his front door. These five boys were screaming names at him as he was walking by them on the OTHER side of the road. I guess he heard something he didn't like, he turned around and started walking back to them (BAD MOVE, but he has balls!)

They ended up beating the s*** out of him, kicking him. These guys were only 15 years old as well, and now he's in the hospital were pretty serious injuries. The house these kids were at, one of them lives there and the parents left the kid there all by himself for the weekend.
^^ Such is what happens when he can't defend himself against 5 people at once. You've got to pick your battles. He'll learn in time.

As for the people getting in over their heads on the water... a simple glance at the forecast for the weekend in their area and then making a smart decision about their boat/watercraft of choice would have alleviated most problems. People tend to let adrenaline and ego dictate what happens. Worse yet, they perceive the warm weather as their "right" to get back on the lake. If nothing else, they should be even more wary about getting into a boat or other watercraft than they would about driving a car during a storm.

It's all common sense, and rarely about skill at that point. You can't restore whatever edge you had that mother nature took away already.
NOS2Go4Me,May 25 2006, 08:58 AM Wrote:^^ Such is what happens when he can't defend himself against 5 people at once. You've got to pick your battles. He'll learn in time.

I know. That is why I said stupid move. And trust me, I told him the SAME thing.
NOS2Go4Me,May 25 2006, 08:58 AM Wrote:^^ Such is what happens when he can't defend himself against 5 people at once. You've got to pick your battles. He'll learn in time.

As for the people getting in over their heads on the water... a simple glance at the forecast for the weekend in their area and then making a smart decision about their boat/watercraft of choice would have alleviated most problems. People tend to let adrenaline and ego dictate what happens. Worse yet, they perceive the warm weather as their "right" to get back on the lake. If nothing else, they should be even more wary about getting into a boat or other watercraft than they would about driving a car during a storm.

It's all common sense, and rarely about skill at that point. You can't restore whatever edge you had that mother nature took away already.
[right][snapback]189381[/snapback][/right]

there was nothing warm about the weather over the long weekend ;)

Friggin kids and ganging up on one person..that's real manly of them. Sorry your bro stood up at the wrong time ahley, that's a fight you try to avoid.. especially these days. I'm glad it was only a beating.. there have been worse outcomes.
Thanks, Steve!

I know. He never even told his parents, either. They found out by a neighbour the next morning while he was sleeping and then he woke up in A LOT of pain, so they took him to the hospital. He's doing a lot better now and hopefully he learned his lesson!