FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buying A Bike, Need Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know some of you guys on here bike and im deciding on buying one. Mountain bike that is. Parking for my job is retarted and $6 a day is adding up very fast. Plus traffic is terrible and could prolly ride home quicker on a bike.

What are some good brand name bikes? I was looking at Kona but just wanting to check out some other brands.

Im after something really light, durable, good breaks, good tires, something where I can remove the tire or seat really fast for when I lock it up. Most important, something made for someone 5'2 - 5'5.

I did goto a shop today and the guy was trying to sell me a King Fisher bike. Never heard of them and he was giving me features I had no dam clue what he ment.

Looks cool anyway but I think he was just trying to sell me some thing a little overboard.

[Image: kingfisher_2.jpg]
there is Trek, Kona, i think Giant. those are only three that i know off.

and i don't think that you need one like what you have in the picture you posted. probably about a $2,000 mountian bike. if its just for commuting back and forth to work, you should look at a hard tail bike without disc brakes, and about mid grade shifters.
I got a KONA myself, absolutely love it, extremely light and can definitely take a pounding.

What is your price range on it? If your planning on leaving it outside, don't bother with a higher end bike, you'll be asking for trouble. I'd never leave the KONA I bought anywhere outside for what I paid.
Its not King Fisher... It's Gary Fisher and he's considered the inventor of the mountain bike. As well as being one of the better mountain bike companies out there. I have a Gary Fisher Wahoo model from 2004, it kicks all shades of ass.
5' 2"?

[Image: mini%20bike.jpg]
^^^:lol:

King Fisher is a wicked beer brewed and distributed in Sri Lanka. Goes great with spicy dishes and compliments fish lovely.

------------------------------------------

There are so many nice bikes out there to choose from. I knoe KONA makes a WICKED bike, the one you showed in your picture there Jay is a little much for your trek to and from work. Not sure if there are any mountains where your from :P

Stick with something that handles the street well and won't give you a seizure if someone walks off with it. You don't needa 1500 dollar bike to hop a curb.
Your parking in the cornwall parkade?
Kona does make good bikes.. I used to hang out with some of those guys, and am friends with a couple guys that work at Cove..

Buuuuuuuut...

Kona doesn't make the lightest bikes.. tho they make some of the toughest bikes I've ever ridden. Chances are they are a bit overkill for what you're looking for.

I'm thinking that since you're in sask, you don't do a whole lot of downhilling... do you do dirt jumping? What price are you looking at?

Anyways, if you're looking for a commuter, you could get by on a hardtail... and you're a pretty small guy... maybe check out something like a Trek OCLV, like the elite 9.9. It's fast, light, and should be comfortable enough for ya. And you can brag you have a carbon fiber bike.

For someone your size, I can't say I'd recommend a lot of aluminum hardtails, but if you can find some decent chromoly hardtails or carbon fiber, you'll have a pretty enjoyable and efficient ride.

If you're looking at gary fisher, check out their site's matchmaker .

If you're working on a budget, check out Jamis bikes. Great bikes at great value... and not sure if they've improved recently, but stay away from Rockymountain. They tend to bust at the welds.

If you're looking at full suspension bikes, I'd recommend checking out some bikes like the Trek Fuel or the Santa Cruz blur. They make really efficient pedalers... fast rigs.

Just make sure to go out and test ride the bikes... if something doesn't feel right, talk to the shop about swapping out parts before you buy it. They can usually swap out parts easier and more cheaply if you do it before you buy it... things to upgrade before you buy to fine tune the fit include seat, handlebars, and stem...

hey jay..i used 2 race up here in Ontario, i've always used a Norco bike, definately solid, might want to upgrade a few componants if your gonna be going "hardcore" but if not, their nice bikes that won't kill your pocket. Also KHS i think it is :S....my buddy has one, wicked bike! But same with a bike as a car, shop around, try a few things out with them, if the store is cool enuff to let you take them around the block, DO IT!! lol..I know that's how i found my last bike
I would be parking it down town at my work so that why I wanted the option to remove seat and tires really easy.

I do alot of biking when I go skateboarding to local spots so I need something that will be versatile and can take me pretty much anywhere. I cut through alot of empty lots and trails to.

I was looking at some CCM one at Canadian Tire for like $200 and it seemed pretty good for what I was needing.

I found some used Konas at a shop Im going to check out tommorow. My buddy had one for years and never had a problem with it.
Don't buy a bike from a shop that won't let you test ride it!

I would personally spend a couple bucks more for a trek commuter or something over getting a CCM. The cost is a bit more, but the money you save in maintenance and repairs will make up for it.. and the bike won't weigh 50 lbs either.

However, it doesn't sound like you need much of a bike... you should check out the police auctions and see what you can get.
never thought of that.

the weight of the bike is a top thing to. The biek i got right now just feals like a tank. Chain keeps falling off, gears are f***ed. No suspension. I liek doing my wheelies and popping up onto curbs.
look at iron horse bike for good stuff at lower cost than competition.
Buy Canadian, go with Rocky Mountain: http://bikes.com

I have a Vertex 30 myself. Very nice bike. If you're going to do mostly commuting / city riding, go with a hardtail. All the softtail is going to do for you is waste energy.
imack,May 21 2006, 08:48 PM Wrote:Buy Canadian, go with Rocky Mountain: http://bikes.com

I have a Vertex 30 myself.  Very nice bike.  If you're going to do mostly commuting / city riding, go with a hardtail.  All the softtail is going to do for you is waste energy.
[right][snapback]188796[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, i would have to suggest against Rocky Mountain.

Problem with North American frames... the welds are absolute crap, and if you do any type of hardcore riding, I'd expect the welds to blow.

of course that's only what I hear from racers and freeriders, so maybe it'd be fine as a commuter.
that Trek OCLV is expensive, but so is everything else made out of carbon fiber. if i ever have enough cash to buy one of those, i will.
CCM Hooligan. Great price, decent weight and derailleurs. Front fork is so-so, but the rear spring rate is adjustable via a threaded compressor. Brakes are good too.
darkpuppet,May 21 2006, 10:09 PM Wrote:Sorry, i would have to suggest against Rocky Mountain.

Problem with North American frames... the welds are absolute crap, and if you do any type of hardcore riding, I'd expect the welds to blow.

of course that's only what I hear from racers and freeriders, so maybe it'd be fine as a commuter.
[right][snapback]188805[/snapback][/right]

That must be the newer Rocky's I have a 16 year old Rocky Mountain Stratos and man that bike is still rock solid. I don't ride as often or as hard as I used to but she still offers up a smooth ride on the trails.

Some advice ZX3Tuner if you are going to buy a good bike and take it downtown strip the stickers off the bike, even if you take the tires and seat off your bike the frame is the crown jewel to a good bike and thats what bike thieves look for when they are looking for a bike to steal.

Laterz :)
Your gonna pick up fer sure with this....

[Image: yuni.jpg]
if anything head to your local pawn shop and get any bike they have in stock your looking for used, as it will save you a few bucks, and if it's stolen later on who cares as it maybe will cost you $50 - $200 rather then spending major bucks on a New bike.