FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anyone Know About The Volvo V50?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's time to look into a family vehicle and leave the focus in the driveway 90% of the time :(

I've took a couple 06 versions out for a drive the 2.4I FWD and a T5 AWD version, both in auto.
Really enjoyed both the cars.

I'm ideally looking for a T5 FWD in 6 speed manual (240bhp) :D , but haven't driven one yet.

I figured its a great looking little car, really similar to the Focus and Mazda 3 and there a lot cheaper than what I expected (an 06 Volvo for around $15000 :blink: ).

Another bonus is I can do some simple mods for it for pretty cheap and it looks great.

So I was wondering if anyone had anymore insight about them, pros/cons etc...

heres a couple pics in case you don't know what they look like :lol:

[Image: H8913504.jpg]
[Image: v70grill.jpg]

really like the front end on this thing
[Image: IMG_5686.JPG]
[Image: P1010076.jpg]
I will be watching closely, as the V50 is on my short list for a new ride (along with Passat and A4).

Ivan MacKenzie.
well I can tell you since Volvo is part of my accounts at work, and that almost all T5's are AWD, it's rare for them the FWD. most V50 / S40's are fairly stocked with features, though you do have to watch out for ones that are smacked up a bit, often most of the lease returns we get for V50s have some type of claim on them, and if you can find one with a navagation system you'll be very lucky as it was a $2500 option new.
i think there a very good looking car id drive one.

have you looked into any of saabs line up?

2006 9-3 sedan hmmm turbo :D
imack,Aug 30 2009, 11:30 AM Wrote:I will be watching closely, as the V50 is on my short list for a new ride (along with Passat and A4).

Ivan MacKenzie.
[right][snapback]293514[/snapback][/right]
I thought about an A3 but didnt want the repair costs of an Audi, plus the same year V50 is about $6000 cheaper.

Frost__2001,Aug 30 2009, 12:23 PM Wrote:well I can tell you since Volvo is part of my accounts at work, and that almost all T5's are AWD, it's rare for them the FWD. most V50 / S40's are fairly stocked with features, though you do have to watch out for ones that are smacked up a bit, often most of the lease returns we get for V50s have some type of claim on them, and if you can find one with a navagation system you'll be very lucky as it was a $2500 option new.
[right][snapback]293515[/snapback][/right]
Thanks Frost!
I noticed on autotrader that some places were really bragging about one being accident free.
plus the two I drove both had front end body work done to them.

I haven't seen one with a nav system yet but I'd like too :D

I've seen a few FWD T5's but not many in manual :( .
If it comes down to FWD or AWD I'll take what I can get.
No worry's I'm just looking ATM, gonna wait till spring to start shopping around.

Found this one on autotrader, only thing I dont like is no leather :angry:
trader
Jmountney1,Aug 30 2009, 03:27 PM Wrote:i think there a very good looking car id drive one.

have you looked into any of saabs line up?

2006 9-3 sedan hmmm turbo  :D
[right][snapback]293517[/snapback][/right]
I'm not a Saab fan, a few friends had them growing up and I could never get into there looks.
A little more money, and a road trip
And I thought Foci lost their value quickly, the V50 looks even worse! Which is good if you're looking to buy used, I guess...

Ivan MacKenzie.
^^^ lol I thought they'd be really pricey and unaffordable until I looked on autotrader.

If the right one comes along I don't mind driving somewhere like Ottawa to get it.
Wagon T5 ,AWD (i can't really see myself in fwd car any more), 6-speed would be my choice.....don't rush to find a car you really want......
07 comes with USB input in the armrest. big plus. I know the stock HU for the entry level Volvo have a terrible time reading any sort of burned disc. Most folks just give up. Which makes the USB option nice. Upgrading the HU is costly because of it's advanced build into the console.

What put me off the V50, (which was THE car I was going to get after the focus wagon), was the fuel economy. It's brutal, the 2.5L is a great engine, but the wagon is heavy. It only get worse going to AWD and T5. The focus is super economical on gas, and 'you have to pay to play'. For me as a Guelph-Toronto commuter, the pay outweighed the play. I was able to find similarily equipped vehicles for the same $$, with less KM.

I do look at the v50 longingly everytime I see one. We'll get one, just not yet.

Have you looked through the dealer pre-owned online?
imack,Aug 30 2009, 12:23 PM Wrote:A little more money, and a road trip
And I thought Foci lost their value quickly, the V50 looks even worse!  Which is good if you're looking to buy used, I guess...

Ivan MacKenzie.
[right][snapback]293523[/snapback][/right]

Actually 2 years ago Volvo lowered their prices for their used lease returns by a few thousand on most of their line up because on avarage we had crap loads in stock, and they'd last on avarage 90+ days before they'd sell, unless it was the one of the limited edition models like the Ocean Race, or Platinum.

j3rt,Aug 31 2009, 09:13 AM Wrote:2007 comes with USB input in the armrest. big plus. I know the stock HU for the entry level Volvo have a terrible time reading any sort of burned disc. Most folks just give up. Which makes the USB option nice. Upgrading the HU is costly because of it's advanced build into the console.

What put me off the V50, (which was THE car I was going to get after the focus wagon), was the fuel economy. It's brutal, the 2.5L is a great engine, but the wagon is heavy. It only get worse going to AWD and T5. The focus is super economical on gas, and 'you have to pay to play'. For me as a Guelph-Toronto commuter, the pay outweighed the play. I was able to find similarily equipped vehicles for the same $$, with less KM.

I do look at the v50 longingly everytime I see one. We'll get one, just not yet.

you can get a 2007 lease return too, we have even been getting lease returns as new as 2008, they have less milage, and are often in better shape then the 2005's and have better featurs, like smart criuse control, and the BLIS system. also don't forget most Volvos use the higher grade of gas.

castone,Aug 30 2009, 10:50 AM Wrote:Thanks Frost!
I noticed on autotrader that some places were really bragging about one being accident free.
plus the two I drove both had front end body work done to them.

I haven't seen one with a nav system yet but I'd like too 

I've seen a few FWD T5's but not many in manual  .
If it comes down to FWD or AWD I'll take what I can get.
No worry's I'm just looking ATM, gonna wait till spring to start shopping around.

Found this one on autotrader, only thing I dont like is no leather 

Often the ones that have 6 speeds are odd coloured ones like red for some strange reason, and leater and nav are more common on silver or black v50's for some strange reason.... and the nav system rises out of the centre of the dash in the centre speaker (i think) looks cool, but oddly placed too me.
j3rt,Aug 31 2009, 08:13 AM Wrote:07 comes with USB input in the armrest.  big plus.  I know the stock HU for the entry level Volvo have a terrible time reading any sort of burned disc.  Most folks just give up.  Which makes the USB option nice.  Upgrading the HU is costly because of it's advanced build into the console.

What put me off the V50, (which was THE car I was going to get after the focus wagon), was the fuel economy.  It's brutal, the 2.5L is a great engine, but the wagon is heavy.  It only get worse going to AWD and T5.  The focus is super economical on gas, and 'you have to pay to play'.  For me as a Guelph-Toronto commuter, the pay outweighed the play.  I was able to find similarily equipped vehicles for the same $$, with less KM.

I do look at the v50 longingly everytime I see one.  We'll get one, just not yet.

[right][snapback]293541[/snapback][/right]

I'm glad that at least some people understand that :lol:
I was actually looking into one as well, as J3rt mentioned gas is high on those specially when it takes premium gas as well. Also lot of ppl complain about electical problems on Volvo's.

My advice would be to get a brand new or something with a good warranty. You don't want to spend 15K on a used one that is going to cost you another 15K in the shop every year.
ohhh one more thing to look into is the engine sluge, have to make sure the previous owner has used the proper oil and frequently changed the oil, heard lot of issues with sludge on the 2.5T's
Frost__2001,Aug 31 2009, 08:29 AM Wrote:.
Often the ones that have 6 speeds are odd coloured ones like red for some strange reason
lol, this coming from a guy who drives a "Fun in Sun" yellow Focus! :P

BTW, this is one of the reasons I'm looking at the V50, at least they have some interesting colours.

Ivan MacKenzie.
After reading all your info guys only one thing comes into my head about these Volvos........"s***ty vehicle to have"?
What about a Speed3? Same platform but more reliable, just as much room too.
I don't think they are s***ty.
I think it's regular buyer beware. Buy off a used lot, you roll the dice, buy used from the dealer, pony up extra $$ for extended warranty, make sure you understand fully what is still under warranty. Then raise hell if something is amiss.

Know that when you buy this car, you are not picking up an Optra, Kia or Focus wagon. You are getting an entry level 'luxury' vehicle, which eats premium fuel and does not get that great mileage (compared to the Focus).
Are the seats more comfortable, yes. Is this interior silent, yes. Does it have air-bags everywhere, absolutely. Does it have pet & child restraint system with occupancy sensor, sure does. Does it have little mud flaps on its underside to prevent ice/mud build up on suspension points, yes.

If I wasn't commuting as much as I am, I would have a v50, no doubt about it.

I hadn't heard about the sludge, but I know they have really way out service intervals like my VW, 5k, 15K, 30K, 45K then like 70K and so on.
Thanks for all the responses guys!

I am def planning on buying an 06 or newer.
Plus it won't be until the spring time I do buy one so there should be some more newer ones out there maybe 07 or an 08 like Frost said.

As for gas millage my daily drive is less then 2 km's so I'm not that worried about it.

I'm not the biggest fan of anything else in that price range, thats why I'm looking into the V50.

I do about 95% of my own repairs, If I can't my father in-law and brother in-law are both mechanics with there own shops so maintenance shouldn't be an issue :lol: .
castone,Sep 1 2009, 07:16 AM Wrote:Thanks for all the responses guys!

I am def planning on buying an 06 or newer.
Plus it won't be until the spring time I do buy one so there should be some more newer ones out there maybe 07 or an 08 like Frost said.

As for gas millage my daily drive is less then 2 km's so I'm not that worried about it.

I'm not the biggest fan of anything else in that price range, thats why I'm looking into the V50.

I do about 95% of my own repairs, If I can't my father in-law and brother in-law are both mechanics with there own shops so maintenance shouldn't be an issue :lol: .
[right][snapback]293595[/snapback][/right]

If you don't need a wagon version of the Volvo then the S40, C70 and C30 are also the same models just different version of the same car body style. not to mention the prices rage more on the other models.

imack,Aug 31 2009, 08:08 PM Wrote:lol, this coming from a guy who drives a "Fun in Sun" yellow Focus! 

BTW, this is one of the reasons I'm looking at the V50, at least they have some interesting colours.

Ivan MacKenzie.
[right][snapback]293595[/snapback][/right]

I got my focus in that colour as I got a geat deal on it, not to mention it was a 5 speed, and it's one of 500 in canada in that colour on a Sedan / Wagon as it's a rare street edition version of Focus :P
Pages: 1 2