FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Reaction To The Gun Registry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that the Auditor General has put down her report on the registry, the debate has come back to decide if Canada needs this registry.

In my opinion, the registry is useless. If they want to track down people who have legal firearms, why not just track the people who have Purchase and Acquisition Licences? You need a PAL to get any firearms. So why not just track those people who have the licence?

Discuss.

I hate to say this, as everyone knows, I'm pretty anti-gun. But the gun registry is the biggest waste of money in Canadian history.

It doesn't really accomplish anything as far as gun control measures go, and instead, costs us more money than it's worth.

I think it's a great idea to have people register their guns, but how does this help with gun control? It doesn't stop the flood of illegal firearms, and instead inconveniences and focuses solely on law-abiding citizens.

I think we should keep the info that was already collected, but spend the billion dollars on controlling the flood of illegal arms instead.
Where I am coming from.

I used to shoot recreationally for a very long time, then there is all the miltary stuff, though I never did myself I understand and do not obeject to controlled hunts and I have lived in rural areas for years in the past.

There is no need to register long rifles and shot guns. Handguns on the other hand have only one purpose and that is concealment, they should be banned altogether.
I'm okay with the average joe hunter that uses his firearms for sport (and consumption) who have the registered.

Small arms, your .45s etc... are what 2001ZTS said, built for hiding them. There for we don't need wankster walking down the street with a pocket full of them.

Yonge and Dundas on a friday night walking home from the office is scary enough.
I think it's pretty useless all together, there is no need to register guns. You don’t see people concealing hunting rifles in their pants, they're all hand guns. Secondly there is no need for hand guns and they really should be banned all together (easier said than done, I know) but why waste time and money to police law-abiding people when it's the criminal retards doing all the shootings?
Meh, doesnt really affect me other than the wasted tax dollars.

Stays, doesnt stay, I could care less.
The gun registry as an idea is frankly stupid because what does it do?

It tracks People who have legally purchased their guns

Out of those people, how many do think are stupid enough to commit a crime involving their own weapon when they've had to sign away practically a kidney to get permission to buy the damn thing in first place?

The money would be far wiser spent IMO tracking down criminals who commit crimes with illegally obtained guns which is a much larger problem and incarcerating their @$$es for a good long time <_<

NefCanuck
I couldn't care, honestly its a waste of money because I can go out tonight and get a gun without a license if I really wanted. Honestly if I wanted to shoot someone, getting my gun registered wouldn't be top on my list of things to do.
I don't fundamentally have a problem with registering all guns in the country ... as a society we don't seem to have too much trouble with the idea of registering pets, planes, boats, ATVs, snowmobiles and cars, and frankly I even like the idea of a renewable license for guns.

For me the concept is the same as for cars ... guns have a unique vin and law abiding citizens should be required to regularly register their ownership of a gun for entry into a database.

If need be the cops can easily identify the owner of a gun and contact them. Legally owned guns do regulary get stolen and occassionally legally owned guns are used in the commission of a crime, or are involved in a fatal accident. Same as cars ... what's the problem?

What I don't get is why this needs to cost so much. We've already got a parallel system in place for vehicles etc. that handles a lot more transactions than would be needed for a gun registry - why did we have to re-invent the frackin' wheel?

Will a legal gun registry stem the flow of illegal guns? No, of course not -- and it's a shame it was sold on the premise that it would reduce crime -- it can't and it shouldn't be expected to. Same as a legal vehicle registry -- doesn't help reduce vehicle thefts.

But IMO that doesn't invalidate the concept of registering and keeping track of legally owned guns, because the process of identifying illegal guns begins with knowing for a certainty that it is illegal - and for that you need a central database of legal firearms. And I don't see any good reason why hunting weapons or sporting weapons should be exempt from a registry.

Having said that, I agree that handguns should be banned outright and that crimes commited using a firearm should be automatically assessed a stiffer sentence.

All I have to say is that you shouldn't be allowed to buy ammo in Wal-Mart. Nothing screams CONFEDERATION like ready-issue ammo. Outfitters, specialty stores - sure. Wal-Mart? Come on.

I'm not much for shooting something that you just want to brag about the next day... yet you didn't even give it a chance. That's why paintball works. No death, water-soluble paint, no real injuries when properly outfitted.

*runs away from the pitchforks and torches*
NOS2Go4Me,May 18 2006, 10:57 AM Wrote:That's why paintball works. No death, water-soluble paint, no real injuries when properly outfitted.

*runs away from the pitchforks and torches*
[right][snapback]188311[/snapback][/right]

Do you know that even if you shot wild animals with a paintball gun or even run after them, its considered hunting. And if you did that and the CO saw you, you could be fined or jailed.

There are exceptions of course if the wild animal are posing a danger to someone's life (ie bear attack or raccoon near children).
I know bud, but I don't shoot racoons with my BTB... I fight the urge daily :D

If one was rabid and hanging around the house, came at us... I wouldn't hesitate though.
I'm with chris rock on this one...

Quote:Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost 5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar, we wouldn't have any innocent bystander .

Every time someone gets shot, people will be like, ''Damn, he must have did something. ''S***, they put $ worth of bullets in his ass.''