FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Nintendo Wii
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now, knowing the console fans are into the Sony Playstation or Xbox, and rarely the Nintendo's... has anyone heard of the Wii?

Quote:Nintendo Wii controller turns heads at E3
Updated Fri. May. 12 2006 8:13 AM ET

Canadian Press

LOS ANGELES -- This year's E3 was supposed to be Sony's show, with the Nintendo Wii console lost in the shadow of the PlayStation 3.

But Nintendo has come out swinging - literally.

The sleek, compact Wii (pronounced we) console has drawn long lineups at the Nintendo booth at the annual video game trade show. Nintendo's innovative controller has turned heads and reminded some that there's more to gaming than gigabytes.

To play tennis, you swing the Wii controller like a racket. In baseball, you swing it like a bat.

While the graphics of Nintendo's Wii Sports game may be basic, the game will win you over the first time you swing the controller and slam a baseball 500 feet over the fence.

Source: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...512?hub=SciTech

Approximately the size of three stacked DVD cases, Wii's elegant design makes it an inviting addition to your entertainment setup without monopolizing it. Thanks to the Wii Remote, you're given more freedom to place the console where it best suits your lifestyle.

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the "sleepless" WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway"). Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI.

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.

I've never considering a system as much as this one... very cool! I think it has great potential, and with Mario games... even better!
yeah, everyone was excited about the remote from the day of it's inception...probably why sony nicked the idea of yaw and tilt and put it in the dualshock 3.

I personally don't really want to wave my arm around to play a game.
I'm sure the controls will be flexible... and not a complete physical workout to play.
darkpuppet,May 15 2006, 08:29 PM Wrote:yeah, everyone was excited about the remote from the day of it's inception...probably why sony nicked the idea of yaw and tilt and put it in the dualshock 3.

I personally don't really want to wave my arm around to play a game.
[right][snapback]187731[/snapback][/right]

Okay, tell me you would turn down a chance to re-create a lghtsabre duel with that controller? Hell, I wouldn't take a Wii if it was given to me except for that premise ;)

NefCanuck
its a very interesting concept, i like the idea of being more involved in the game rather than sitting back and using a controller.
euro_zx5,May 15 2006, 09:22 PM Wrote:Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.
[right][snapback]187728[/snapback][/right]

Call me an old fart... but this aspect of the console excites me.
Then I can stop looking for SNES, nintendo 64, etc at garage sales and take up space in the house. :)
^^^ That's probably the best feature of the console, the huuuuge catalog of games you'll be able to play on it.

Side note, did you know that Nintendo has been around since 1889? and they had love hotels for a while?
NefCanuck,May 15 2006, 10:39 PM Wrote:Okay, tell me you would turn down a chance to re-create a lghtsabre duel with that controller?  Hell, I wouldn't take a Wii if it was given to me except for that premise ;)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]187746[/snapback][/right]

yup, I'd turn it down alright....

I play games mostly to relax.. sit back, pop in a game, and unwind (sorta).

I have pretty much every version of Time Crisis for the PS2 along with a few guns to play with... it's fun, but it never comes out unless it's at a party. And even then, people get tired after a few rounds of holding your arms outstretched for lengths of time.

It's just more fun when you can sit down, twiddle your thumbs and play. Of course, I'm also one of those people that think less buttons are a good thing. Why you need all 101 buttons on the keyboard and 5 buttons on the mouse is an indication of a poorly designed interface to me. I figure the PS controller has about the maximum number of buttons I want to be worried about... so maybe the nintendo controller has a plus in that it doesn't have too many buttons.

But waving your arm around? yuck.. a few journalists are already mentioning that the Wii outting at E3 wasn't that strong this year... that while the games were technically novel, their not sure if the games hold any true playability...

now downloading the classics = tres kewl. But I have a feeling you're going to end up paying for them one way or another.

micropayment systems are another pet peeve of mine
It;s just Nintendos way to combat fat kids. Make them swing their arms uncontolably to get excersise while playing SPS and sucking back McD's....

Wait a minute.... <_<
I'm sure it'll spawn a whole new generation of starwars kids...
No faith! I see it as a 'revolution', literally. It could change alot for the gaming industry, in a good way believe it or not.

I was also reading that to play the older games (snes, nes, etc) they have a separate controller, which in the final production stages might just be an option to use as the main controller... so it looks like a pretty flexible system.
[Image: 100_1632.jpg]
slightly off topic.. how much are they gonna charge for this thing? ps3 supposed to be usd $600 for the version w/ all the cool features and bigger hdd!!!!
I posted the commercial for this a while ago................. :huh:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...020&hl=nintendo

but in case you forgot here it is again for all to see for the 3rd time now ? :rolleyes:

Nintendo Revolution Commercial
Bah... I'm becoming a total theatre whore. If I can't HD it, I'm not buying it.

I'll buy a PS3, hi-def TV when it learns to toddle and drops the diaper act, and eventually a switching amp for component out... GRRRR

Progressive scan is the shiz... can't top it.

PS3 for sure... H264 native. MMmmmm.
naz,May 16 2006, 03:29 PM Wrote:slightly off topic.. how much are they gonna charge for this thing?  ps3 supposed to be usd $600 for the version w/ all the cool features and bigger hdd!!!!
[right][snapback]187925[/snapback][/right]
I think the "best guesses" are around the $250 mark for the Wii.
Aka,May 16 2006, 05:24 PM Wrote:
naz,May 16 2006, 03:29 PM Wrote:slightly off topic.. how much are they gonna charge for this thing?  ps3 supposed to be usd $600 for the version w/ all the cool features and bigger hdd!!!!
[right][snapback]187925[/snapback][/right]
I think the "best guesses" are around the $250 mark for the Wii.
[right][snapback]188004[/snapback][/right]

That's what i'm thinking as well... they're always marketed cheaper than the rest.
http://www.forbes.com/digitalentertainment...kt_0511wii.html

Merrill Lynch is estimating a $200 price tag.
Aka,May 16 2006, 08:09 PM Wrote:http://www.forbes.com/digitalentertainment...kt_0511wii.html

Merrill Lynch is estimating a $200 price tag.
[right][snapback]188026[/snapback][/right]

Now, to average the price of the "revolution bundle pack" I have pre ordered :lol: I'm thinking it'll come with the wired controller to play the older games, and/or another wireless controller, and game combo.
Has every Nintendo console been sold for $200?
Pages: 1 2