FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Leave On Saturday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OMG, I have never been on a plane, whats it like. I see myself being like Marge Simpson with her first time flying, freaking out......lol

Anyways, this trip is going to be my job training, and try-out. If all goes well and they like the experience I bring, I will be offered a full time permanent position. I will be flying into Ontario international, with a stop in Dallas, this will be one hell of a vacation. I found out on Friday, and I havent slept well since. My rental car while I am down, oh ya baby, 300c. I will be down for a week, I hope I don't get into too much rouble
Have a good time. I was suppose to go to California this year, but it got cancelled :( So I hope you have a wicked time, even though it is for your job.

Good luck on your first time on the plane. My first time was last summer to Newfoundland. I didn't do it very well, but that was many reasons, one of them due to my ears. Chew gum if you don't want your ears to pop.
Have soo much fun!! I love flying!!! If you feel sick just pop some gravol and go to sleep! knowing California your rental 300C will be already done up!! haha
Enjoy the sun!!!
jen_deans,May 15 2006, 06:56 AM Wrote:Have soo much fun!! I love flying!!! If you feel sick just pop some gravol and go to sleep! knowing California your rental 300C will be already done up!! haha
Enjoy the sun!!!
[right][snapback]187459[/snapback][/right]

Have a great time, flying is easy I fly 40-50 times per year. Just remember when you get to security take off your shoes empty your pockets and if you’re wearing a belt take it off as well. You will fly though security then. Oh if your taking a laptop take it out of your bag.

Where are you going in Cali? I don't like the LA area all that much though the mountains out ot the east are pretty nice. The San Fran/ Napa Carmel area is much nicer!

Have a good trip.
:)
you lucky SOB. Enjoy the nice high gas prices. :)

Wish my work would send me to places like that. All i get to do is go to Sudbury and Timmins. :(
Flying rocks.

I fly a lot as well, make sure you follow your directions and you'll be fine.

Bring magazines and laptop with movies.
I don't like flying but only because I am too tall.

Have batteries for your laptop, camera and anything else electronic fully charged because they will want to see it working at security.

Pack one change of clothes and some toiletries in your carry on.

You don't need Gravol but if you think you do take it long before your flight, it takes a while to work.

Drink lots of water, the air is VERY dry on planes.

Lay off the booze.
yea what they all said. and try to get an exit row seat, but you might be out of luck if you don't fly a lot. prob too late now, but if its just clothes, use a 21" carryon don't check anything. and get that flight switched to a direct flight if you can. getting stuck at airports suck.

if you have a cold or whatever your head will feel like its gonna explode when you descend. nothing you can do about it.. just take the pain and know it will go away.
and if your name is Mohamad or anything that sounds a bit like a muslim name, take couple of latex gloves with you. You know u gona get raped, mind as well be safe about it :)

All the best mang!
You can avoid a lot of the stress associated with flying by giving yourself plenty (and I mean plenty) of time to go through the security check and the customs check. In case you didn't know, you will go through U.S. customs and immigration at Pearson before you board the plane.

BTW - if you've had any kind of trouble with the law there is a possibility you will be challenged about it and in extreme cases denied entry into the U.S. Whatever you do, don't lie.

If you don't have a passport, make sure you have at least one photo i.d. and your birth certificate.

I always plan on being at the airport a good 2 to 2 1/2 hours before my flight, go immediately through the checks and then just work on the laptop or read.

Also ... make sure you have nothing like nail scissors or other sharp metal objects in your carry on stuff -- they will take it from you and although that's not a big deal, the added hassle and time consumed will add to your stress level.

And put anything liquid that goes in your checked luggage (shampoo, mouthwash etc) in a zip loc bag or something like that ... the change in pressure in the storage area of the plane can cause all kinds of leaks.

Good luck and have an excellent trip.
Oscar The Grouch,May 15 2006, 07:51 AM Wrote:you lucky SOB.  Enjoy the nice high gas prices. :)

Wish my work would send me to places like that.  All i get to do is go to Sudbury and Timmins. :(
[right][snapback]187464[/snapback][/right]

That's more than I get, farthest that work has ever sent me is London, Ontario... using my own car... and did I mention that they pay crap for mileage? :lol:

Enjoy California laidman and hope everything works out for you ;)

NefCanuck
Im going, going...back, back...to Cali Cali.

Have fun man, if you land the job and move there, ill hate you forever. Might want to learn some spanish!!
I'm not far from Cali right now... sitting in our office in Reno, NV.

Flying is good, but eat something that will coat your stomach and soak up the acids... a light sandwich of some sort, etc. Don't overeat.

Chew gum to counter the popping of your ears during ascent/decent. Bring lots of reading material... Denver's cool to pass through.

When you're in Denver, you'll likely arrive in Terminal B (Canadian arrivals and departures). You'll need to head to the center of the concourse to find the escalators down to the train that connects the different concourses. I believe you'll want Concourse A (which is US continental departures and arrivals). Check your flight number against the screens upon arrival. Denver airport has lots of nice shops if you have to kill some time.

Oh, music of some sort is good unless you like watered-down everything that they play during the flight. Movies can be seen sometimes on the Toronto-Denver run... sometimes. It's random. Canadian and American cash is taken at par for goods in-flight by Air Canada, but not sure how United and AA, etc treat Canadian cash within the 48 states. I tend to bring a bit of Canadian cash for Pearson stopovers, and the rest in American.

If you have any other questions, PM me :)

Oh yeah, laptops are ALWAYS secondary searched. I haven't had to turn one on since my first run last April, but they always check it, swab the keyboard, inspect the carry case. It's part of the deal, don't feel singled-out.
NOS2Go4Me,May 15 2006, 05:28 PM Wrote:Oh yeah, laptops are ALWAYS secondary searched. I haven't had to turn one on since my first run last April, but they always check it, swab the keyboard, inspect the carry case. It's part of the deal, don't feel singled-out.
[right][snapback]187577[/snapback][/right]

where do you fly to dude? i fly out of pearson, lax, sfo, newark, salt lake city, sacramento.. mostly newark and sacramento/sfo last yr tho.. never had to do anything other than take it out of its case and put through the machine on its own.
OK, I'm leaving on saturday out of Detroit Metro airport, only stop for me is in Dallas, thats for 2 hours, then on to Ontario California. Luckily the exact same deal the way back. It would be sick if the 300 had some work done to it, PIMPIN!!!

For a carry on, I bought a portable DVD player, no laptop yet. Change of clothes, Digital Camera, Video Camera (maybe??). Movies and magazines. I knew my last 4 years of Maxim subsciptions would come in handy, that and maybe some others. My dad told me to ask for the emergency exit rows if possible, good idea for leg room he said, 6'3 tall, might be a good idea. What else should be taken on a carry on...

I will be working in a place called Walnut, richy area, I guess. I already have a few rental places to look at if all goes well.

Heres a good question. How far can my fiance go when I am moving my way through the airport security checkpoints. Her and my parents are sending me off. Just curious.

One big thing though, I have allergies, severe ones. Any kind of nuts(no jokes please). SO I have to carry a EPI-PEN. For those who don't know, it is a self contained shot of epineferine,(i think thats how its spelled). Mainly to keep me alive if I were to come into contact with any food that contains nuts. Might be deemed as a weapon, not sure. For safety reasons I HAVE to keep one with me at all times. Issues.........
the epi-pens kind of look like this.....
[Image: epipen2.jpg]

More info you you want to know about it
My life saver
they don't carry nuts on airplanes anymore for that very reason .. and i'll ask my gf tonight about the epi-pen .. she's a flight attendant for air canada

your fiance and parents won't be able to make it far .. basically just to the baggage check and thats it

just relax and enjoy yourself .. flying is fun
just checked with my gf and she says that there fine to take with you solong as you have a doctors note to go along with it
Best of luck in LA. Please take the job and stay out there.

We all need a place to crash in LA.
Pages: 1 2