FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Irony....why Does This Anger Me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

These bastards are partially responsible for the fat assed kids and adults out there.

Looks like Ronald is scrambling for market share. :rolleyes:

McDonald’s film festival promotes active kids

McDonald’s is bringing back its Go Active Film Festival promotion, an online game that encourages kids to be creative and active. The initiative runs in partnership with Corus Entertainment’s YTV, which created the game in-house.

For the second year in a row, kids can now log on to ytv.com and create sports-themed cartoon films. They can then enter their films in the “festival” for a chance to win prize packs that include a trip for four to Los Angeles, iPods and McDonald’s gift certificates.

Hope Bagozzi, national advertising manager for McDonald’s in Canada, says the idea is to encourage kids to be creative and to promote an active lifestyle through the sports themes included in the film-making tools. It’s a great opportunity to interact with young consumers, many of whom are already creating virtual movies, she says. “With young people being ever more technology savvy, it’s a great medium to talk to them in a relevant way.”

The game was slightly altered this year, to include a start-up tutorial and new features like sound. “What we know is that with six- to 11-year-olds, there’s a huge variance in ability to use media tools,” says Tim Cormick, vice-president of client marketing at Corus. He adds the initiative works like a video game to help McDonald’s deliver its messages. “We have some interesting research about physical activity,” Cormick says. “Kids are reluctant to try things they’re not familiar with. So this is a great way for them to visualize themselves doing things.”

The contest runs until June and also includes a random draw prize for kids who vote for their favourite films.

YTV is also promoting the contest with 30-second television spots in May and 15-second spots in June.

–Michelle Halpern
Sooooooooooooo...

they are promoting healthy and active living, by getting them to sit on their computers and win McDonalds gift certificates????

RIGHT.
I see nothing wrong with it....

maybe they should make a game that encourages parents to take an active role in raising their kids.

Maybe make the contest for parents to make videos of what it would be like to sit there and moderate what the kid does online and eats at McDonald's.

darkpuppet,May 11 2006, 11:43 AM Wrote:maybe they should make a game that encourages parents to take an active role in raising their kids. 
[right][snapback]186805[/snapback][/right]

Labatt and Molson are working on the project. Make a game for a chance to win free beer.
True.

Not that I find anythong wrong with the whle "concept" it's just that Mc'Donald is not healthy food nor have they ever been, they don't sell products that promote healthy living or choises. They're making themselves out to be something they're not. They don't give a s*hit weather or not kids are healthy... Now if it was contest to see how many cheese burgers little Timmie Fat Pie can pound back, that would make sence.
it's all smoke and mirrors to make the public think that they are doing something good and to stray away from the fact their food is far from healthy. If they really cared they'd promote heathly eating by putting their food side by side with actual healthy food and how thier meals stack up again the Canadian Food Guide.
nass,May 11 2006, 12:29 PM Wrote:it's all smoke and mirrors to make the public think that they are doing something good and to stray away from the fact their food is far from healthy. If they really cared they'd promote heathly eating by putting their food side by side with actual healthy food and how thier meals stack up again the Canadian Food Guide.
[right][snapback]186830[/snapback][/right]

I can't help but continually go back and remind people that McDonald's has offered healthy options, and posted all the nutritional information in billlboards, and nobody bought the healthy food to begin with.

Mc Donald's could only appease the people that think it's all McDonald's fault by basically offering none of their menu. I think, while maybe somewhat ironic, a gesture of goodwill on their part that they even acknowledge a part in trying to educate people.

I don't see the same effort from Burger King, and their food is typically worse than McDonald's nutritionally.
darkpuppet,May 11 2006, 12:41 PM Wrote:
nass,May 11 2006, 12:29 PM Wrote:it's all smoke and mirrors to make the public think that they are doing something good and to stray away from the fact their food is far from healthy. If they really cared they'd promote heathly eating by putting their food side by side with actual healthy food and how thier meals stack up again the Canadian Food Guide.
[right][snapback]186830[/snapback][/right]

I can't help but continually go back and remind people that McDonald's has offered healthy options, and posted all the nutritional information in billlboards, and nobody bought the healthy food to begin with.

Mc Donald's could only appease the people that think it's all McDonald's fault by basically offering none of their menu. I think, while maybe somewhat ironic, a gesture of goodwill on their part that they even acknowledge a part in trying to educate people.

I don't see the same effort from Burger King, and their food is typically worse than McDonald's nutritionally.
[right][snapback]186838[/snapback][/right]

Burger King is more focused on staying alive right now more than anything. BK is WAY bigger in the U.S. than Canada.

I understand the goodwill gesture... props to the arches, but promoting active living by having kids SIT IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER (another reason for child obesity) TO ENTER AND WIN FOOD GIFT CARDS (getting them back in to get fat)

I dunno, Oxymoron?
It's really sad, actually. There's nothing healthy at all about this promotion. McDonalds becomes removed from the obesity problem as everyone rushes out to vilify computers because of the time kids will spend in front of them doing these things.

The only reason McD's offers "healthy" food is because they realized that if they didn't offer something, then they're almost guilty of negligent homicide or perhaps even assisted suicide. Death by Big Mac? Not hard to do.

I'll die a hell of a lot faster eating what's publicly available to me from McDs, without controls, than I will from eating a large variety of other foods.

We stop kids from buying cigarettes or bying vodka (hopefully on both accounts), but when junk food and obesity ruins their will to live... we let them keep buying McDonalds. And, what's more... it's all a LOT of people with no brainpower at all think they can afford.

1 happy meal or fresh meat for a family? Vegetables or supersize that?

The dollar count ends up largely the same, but the effects and aftershocks end up being wildly different.
^^^agreed

Much is also blamed on the society we now live in. 50 years ago, families sat down to eat. Now we live so quickly, we need food that goes through us as quick as we live our lives.

I'm not saying I'm not guilty, hell I was a twice three times a week user of McDonald's a few years ago, In fact I enjoy it still (havent eaten McD's in over a year) And I was FULLY aware of what I was ingesting. Parent's need to control what they're kids eat. I know for a fact that if I were to have a child now, I wouldn't feed them that stuff...No way.
but once again, it's not McDonald's fault that parents don't know how or are too lazy to raise their kids properly...

Hell, a lot of my eating habbits are directly related to my parent's eating habbits, and I've had to fight really hard in recent years to break those lifelong habits that were instilled in me during childhood.
Right, but we blame the easy target . My parents wouldn't let me eat that s*** untill I was old enough to go and get it myself. Still didin't keep me from becoming addicted to it in College. I used to eat 5 yes...count em' 5 Sausage Mc muffins for breakfast 4 days a week :blink: My parents had NOTHING to do with it.

The Irony is...McD's want's kids to sit infront of their idiot box and win food cards while trying to get kids to partake in "healthy" creative. It makes no sense.

Nos....do you have anything to with this?
darkpuppet,May 11 2006, 01:19 PM Wrote:but once again, it's not McDonald's fault that parents don't know how or are too lazy to raise their kids properly...

Hell, a lot of my eating habbits are directly related to my parent's eating habbits, and I've had to fight really hard in recent years to break those lifelong habits that were instilled in me during childhood.
[right][snapback]186861[/snapback][/right]

I agree with you, Steve-o... but why are cigarette manufacturers suddenly (and by suddenly I mean in historical respect to the longevity of the industry) being forced to compensate lifetime smokers in the US and pay their health care bills?

Ask anyone who knows me, or indeed knows my wife... we love ripping on the drones and lemmings for blindly feeding their kids crap while not teaching them about a better way to eat or just flat out not caring. It's sad and we pity the kids, but yes the parents carry a stack of blame on the matter.

Again, the food is being sold as safe. It's being offered up as a homecooked meal replacement alternative.There's no legal restriction on the weekly consumption of McSodium, and I can buy some McSaturated Fat as often as I buy a BLT sub, club sub, or anything else I can get at Mr. Sub. That stuff too isn't all that healthy when you get some of their offerings. At least their health fact menus and ingredients lists(for the lemmings that care) are displayed right in front of the order counter in most standalone sub shops that aren't in a food court.

The last time I was in a McDs (on course, months ago), I couldn't find a single food choices pamphlet. Anywhere. Asking for one got me a blank stare.

If the food was inherently harmless, there'd be nothing to discuss. But the fact remains that beyond a once-a-month consumption rate for a full meal, you start to give yourself the capacity for serious problems to develop.

When I order correctly at the sub shop, I can pretty much guarantee you I'm eating much haelthier than I ever could for the same amount of food at McDs.
I heard McDonalds is putting nutritional information on there wrapping and boxes...either soon or already has?
I'm with NOS and Anthony on this one. You can't honestly sit there and say that fast food is not responsible for making people fat. They sure as hell are, it's their product that helps people get to obesity. For them to turn a blind eye to what is happening only to say that it's their customers fault for being too stupid to know better is ludicris and insulting to the people that keep them in business. At some point there has to be some sort of corporate responsibility involved. There should be limits/guidelines as to what the food may or may not contain if not for the "adult" meals atleast for the kids meals. Almost everything else is controlled why not fast food?
so we should shut down fastfood joints, corner stores, and wing joints because they promote obesity?

we should shut down the video game market because kids are no longer active?

we should shut down the TV stations for shortening our attention spans and raising us as illiterate rapper wannabes?

we should close down all automobile manufacturing because they don't promote safe driving by increasing safety aids?

you guys are basically saying that because they promote something that we should shut it down because we as humans are too stupid to take responsibility for our own actions?

I agree, that there's a certain amount of social responsibility involved... someone has to look after the kids... but look at it this way.. McDonald's is actually reaching out to kids who's parents have copped out by buying fastfood and letting the computer babysit them.

I think the saddest thing of all is not that McDonald's is trying to melevolently market it's food to kids, but that they have to go to this avenue to teach the kids what parents should be teaching them.

Yes, McDonalds food makes you fat... yes, they market it to you, but they're a business for chrissakes... This isn't McDonald's acting like the cigarrette companies telling you that smoking is actually good for you.
Completely agree Steve. McDonald's is in buisiness. So are wing joints etc....

I guess my problem is, McD's could have found a MUCH healthier way to push a healthy lifestyle than getting kids to sit still in front of their Dell.

Maybe if they did a skip-a-thon or something to work off the big macs the kids are slurping back would make better sense.
ANTHONYD,May 11 2006, 03:45 PM Wrote:Completely agree Steve. McDonald's is in buisiness. So are wing joints etc....

I guess my problem is, McD's could have found a MUCH healthier way to push a healthy lifestyle than getting kids to sit still in front of their Dell.

Maybe if they did a skip-a-thon or something to work off the big macs the kids are slurping back would make better sense.
[right][snapback]186896[/snapback][/right]

they have play areas.. let's the kids burn off some sugar while the adults fatten themselves up. (ie, the "who said it was fast food?" commercial)
I worked their for 4 years. Ate the food everyday for 4 years. I mean everyday.

50% off while I was employee, 100% free when I was manager.

I love Mcdonalds, still do.

Get out and excersise. Mcdonalds wont hurt you.
Flofocus,May 11 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:Get out and excersise.  Mcdonalds wont hurt you.
[right][snapback]186904[/snapback][/right]

that we know of.

Didn't the guy from Supersize Me have his liver or kidney begin to fail?
Pages: 1 2