FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Washing Cars In Driveways... Illegal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I'm renting this room in a semi-detached in Woodbridge until my house in Windsor sells. I go home Friday night and return Monday morning. I figure... I gotta wash my car once a week, might as well do it while I'm trapped in my little room during the week, instead of when I'm at home and have many other better things to do.

So, last week I brought my bucket and supplies with me, and washed my car on Tuesday.

I went to do it again today, and the landlady stops me, and says I can't. She says her husband told her not to let me, cause I'm not supposed to wash my car in the driveway. They're Ukrainian, and don't speak good english, and I can't figure out if this is some odd rule of this f***ing s***hole suburbia, or if they just misunderstood something.

I asked what's the problem, and she said that you can't because of the chemicals.

It's soap!

The neighbors can complain.

About what? It's your driveway. Some dude down the street parks a f***ing dumptruck on his driveway, and I saw him painting the dump body one day! And I can't wash my car with soap?

One of the other guys renting a room here, backed her up. Says you're not supposed to, because the neighbors can complain.

About what! I've been doing this for 14 years, and nobody has ever said anything.

Am I missing something here? Is there some kinda bylaw in Woodbridge/Vaughan that says you can't wash your car with soap and water in the driveway?

Cause I couldn't give a s*** if the neighbors don't like it. They can eat my ass.

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed. <_<
MMM road trip I'll come up there with a car leakin oil and spray it down the damn street. Freaking assholeish neighbors. Bitch that lives beside us reported us or leaving an unplated vehicle on the street for about 5hrs it was being towed later. Cops came out I told them wat was happening there are like okay but no longer than 24hrs :D. I just said no problem it'll be gone by then. But yet her stupid son brings his f***ing huge trailer with a stupid ass tractor on it and blocks my driveway f***ING ASSHOLES>
May or may not be illegal, check with the city. If it is its not so much the neighbours it is the phosphates in soap ending up in the water table. There are often seasonal water restrictions during dry spells in summer too.
Nothing in the Tenant Protection Act that says you can't wash your car in the driveway so as 2001 ZTS suggests what may actually be at issue is a municipal bylaw regarding this (be especially careful of any sort of water rationing alerts by the municipality)

If there's nothing municipally against it, go right ahead and if the landlord keeps harassing you, PM and I'll let you know what the next steps are.

NefCanuck
2001 ZTS,May 9 2006, 05:41 PM Wrote:May or may not be illegal, check with the city. If it is its not so much the neighbours it is the phosphates in soap ending up in the water table. There are often seasonal water restrictions during dry spells in summer too.
[right][snapback]186406[/snapback][/right]

Phospates? k, am i wrong to say when you flush your toilet..your s*** goes the same place your PHOSATES go? sorry i would rather drink phosates then someones turd.

Also, i'm sure there is a carwash right down the road....again, that water goes the same place as well. I SAY WASH YOUR CAR...WASH IT EVERYDAY....tell your landlady to blow you, and tell her you ain't stopping till the cops tell you otherwise.
In the GTA rain sewer water goes untreated. Domestic waste water does get treated. There are two separate sewer systems.
it may be illegal because:

the soap gets into the sewage water and kills fish, maybe your city doesnt have a good sewage treatment plant, or the drain your house uses connects directly with a stream..

SOLUTION: wash your car on the lawn
2001 ZTS,May 9 2006, 07:41 PM Wrote:May or may not be illegal, check with the city. [right][snapback]186406[/snapback][/right]
In June of 2005, the City of Vaughan published new 3-stage regs concerning the use of water during times of water shortage.

Stage 1 advises against things like watering grass, washing driveways and washing cars.

Stage 2 is a ban on those thing.

So ... it seems logical to me that if they need to specify certain times when you can't wash your car ... that must mean that for all other times, you can.

Check it out for yourself here.
i wash my car every week and i live in woodbridge. I havent heard anything about this.

If you want you car washed, just drop by my place. i dont think it should be that far from where u are.

i've got power washer and bunch of diff soaps and stuff.
ZTWsquared,May 10 2006, 12:14 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,May 9 2006, 07:41 PM Wrote:May or may not be illegal, check with the city. [right][snapback]186406[/snapback][/right]
In June of 2005, the City of Vaughan published new 3-stage regs concerning the use of water during times of water shortage.

Stage 1 advises against things like watering grass, washing driveways and washing cars.

Stage 2 is a ban on those thing.

So ... it seems logical to me that if they need to specify certain times when you can't wash your car ... that must mean that for all other times, you can.

Check it out for yourself here.
[right][snapback]186418[/snapback][/right]

that is only when there is a ban, and i dont think we have got any this year. Most likely we will get it for sure. Considering the weather is this warm already.
Toronto proper gets its water from the Lake so there never is a shortage in supply just capacity to treat it prior to drinking. That said I am not aware of water ever being restricted in Metro Toronto. Places north of Metro in the 905 get their water from different sources and DO get shortages in supply as well as treatment capacity. The infrastructure is not matching the pace of development.
mo_focus,May 9 2006, 08:20 PM Wrote:
So ... it seems logical to me that if they need to specify certain times when you can't wash your car ... that must mean that for all other times, you can.[right][snapback]186418[/snapback][/right]

that is only when there is a ban, and i dont think we have got any this year. [right][snapback]186420[/snapback][/right]
Right ... but I think you missed my conclusion -- that there is no general ban on car washing.
Ok, thought so. I'll make a point to discuss this. Which will be difficult because of the engrish.*

I mean, the landlord parks his white E250 van on the front lawn, I can't imagine his neighbors will complain at the sight of me washing me Subbie. :lol:

Obviously, if there is a water ban... but there isn't right now.

I'm wondering if the neighbor did complain, because when I washed it last week, and the landlord had his van half on the lawn and half on the drive, I had my car scooshed over a bit onto the neighbor's side of the drive, so I would have room to wash the side. The neighbor came home and gave me a dirty look. Maybe that's what this is all about, but landlord didn't understand.

I can't wait for my house to sell. There's a number of nice homes for sale up in Innisfil right now with big lots and big detached shops for sale for under $350k wOOt!

*When I now hear immigrants complain about their education not being recognized in Canada... my feeling is stronger than ever, that it's actually because they won't learn to speak english. He was an engineer, who's now working as a tile layer, and she was an architect or something, studying to be a dental assistant. They've been here years, and can barely speak english well enough to discuss car washing with me...
ZTWsquared,May 10 2006, 12:33 AM Wrote:
mo_focus,May 9 2006, 08:20 PM Wrote:
So ... it seems logical to me that if they need to specify certain times when you can't wash your car ... that must mean that for all other times, you can.[right][snapback]186418[/snapback][/right]

that is only when there is a ban, and i dont think we have got any this year. [right][snapback]186420[/snapback][/right]
Right ... but I think you missed my conclusion -- that there is no general ban on car washing.
[right][snapback]186423[/snapback][/right]

actualy i was sort of agreein with you. Sorry its been a long day, and i'm still at work.

my mom is visiting this week and she knows a bit of ukrainian if you need a translator...
mo_focus,May 9 2006, 09:10 PM Wrote:actualy i was sort of agreein with you. Sorry its been a long day, and i'm still at work.[right][snapback]186433[/snapback][/right]
No sweat ... and yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still at work too.

Oh wait a minute ... my office is one door down from the master bedroom.

Never mind. :D
darkpuppet,May 10 2006, 01:30 AM Wrote:my mom is visiting this week and she knows a bit of ukrainian if you need a translator...
[right][snapback]186436[/snapback][/right]

Dude, I just saw your KVR brakes in you sig. When did you get those? How are they working out?
I know a few people that live in a community that have certain rules, one of them being no working on your car or washing it in the driveway. It was ok to do it in the garage though. Maybe you're renting in a neighbourhood like that??
You should come live next door to me. My water will be free when I move.

Unlimited free bottled refreshingly sparkling water that many a SAP pays for.

HA HA...................HA HA HA HA.
nass,May 10 2006, 01:36 AM Wrote:I know a few people that live in a community that have certain rules, one of them being no working on your car or washing it in the driveway. It was ok to do it in the garage though. Maybe you're renting in a neighbourhood like that??
[right][snapback]186439[/snapback][/right]

I have some rules in Windsor. No boat or RV parking on the property. No wood fences, no garden sheds. Working on the car might be one, but I've never had a problem with that.

Not washing a car is f***ing ghey. What's wrong with washing a car? You'd think you'd want your neighbors to have clean cars.

Dunno if Meford is suggesting he'll be on a well. Your water quality depends on many factors. My parents houses have all been on a well, Windsor city water is actually better (one of the only good things about the city, best water in Ontario). But, nothing can beat the water at the cottage. Nothing can beat it when we have the old cast iron hand pump head on the well in the winter. Nothing.

Am I the only one that actually finds bottled water gross by the way?
Pages: 1 2