FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Clutch Replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, went to the dealers today for some plugs and leads ($103.02, thank you very much, have a nice day), and while I was there , I asked how much it would be to do a clutch replacement on my '00 SPI wagon...and th guy told me $800.00!!

Proverbially, I fell off my chair and my jaw hit the floor! $800.00 of my hard earned! I couldn't believe it. Guy explained that they also reface the flywheel....but jeeze.....how can they get away with charging that much? That is one 6th of the value (after taxes) that I paid for the car 6 months ago.

I think I'm gonna look around a bit, as I don't need it yet.

Any of you have this done recently? What did you pay?

Scorp.
Does that include parts?

I know a few friends that had their trannys done at a GTA shop and they charge around $300 for tranny swap (same work for new clutch). I guess add another $50 to resurface a flywheel.
hardk0re,May 5 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:Does that include parts?

I know a few friends that had their trannys done at a GTA shop and they charge around $300 for  tranny swap (same work for new clutch).  I guess add another $50 to resurface a flywheel.
[right][snapback]185675[/snapback][/right]

Yes, including parts.

$300.00 is about what I thought for the job too, going by what I've read in the past.

Scorp.
if its including parts its probably not to far off then .. cuz parts could be upwords of $400
Mostly labour I'm thinking...The clutch is not easy to get at on our cars.
800.00 done at a dealership doesnt sound bad to me...
no that's prolly not bad. 400 labor 400 parts. Gotta remember on a fwd vehicle it's harder to get at the clutch to replace it.
scoobasteve,May 5 2006, 05:54 PM Wrote:800.00 done at a dealership doesnt sound bad to me...
[right][snapback]185686[/snapback][/right]

I agree...My clutch cost me 400$ and the labour cost me 300$ at the dealership...800$ it's not that bad of a price.
inorder to replace the clutch they must;
A/ Remove the engine and tranny and replace the clutch
or
B/ Remove the front end out of the way and try to get to the clutch.

My mechanic charged me 800 for the clutch and he gave me a good deal. Bc i got the front bushings and tie rods, links and bunch of other stuff done at the same time. So if the dealer is giving you a price of 800.00 including parts its not to bad.
for that price, you could buy a new aftermarket flywheel and have them install it :P
$800 get over it that's a nothing!

It was $3200 for my tiburon.

mo_focus,May 5 2006, 08:11 PM Wrote:inorder to replace the clutch they must;
or

My mechanic charged me 800 for the clutch and he gave me a good deal. Bc i got the front bushings and tie rods, links and bunch of other stuff done at the same time. So if the dealer is giving you a price of 800.00 including parts its not to bad.
[right][snapback]185743[/snapback][/right]

They do not have to remove the engine/tranny. The have to only remove the trans. You cannot remove the front end to get at the clutch either. 800 sounds reasonable from a dealer. parts plus labour plus taxes.
bluetoy,May 6 2006, 01:27 AM Wrote:
or

They do not have to remove the engine/tranny. The have to only remove the trans. You cannot remove the front end to get at the clutch either. 800 sounds reasonable from a dealer. parts plus labour plus taxes.
[right][snapback]185765[/snapback][/right]

ok sorry let me rephrase

front end, i meant the front suspension, the A arms and everything else with it.

as for the engine and tranny, in my car they had to lift one side of the engine in order to get the tranny out. So they did have to move the engine out a bit.
mo_focus,May 5 2006, 10:54 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,May 6 2006, 01:27 AM Wrote:
or

[right][snapback]185765[/snapback][/right]

ok sorry let me rephrase

front end, i meant the front suspension, the A arms and everything else with it.

as for the engine and tranny, in my car they had to lift one side of the engine in order to get the tranny out. So they did have to move the engine out a bit.
[right][snapback]185781[/snapback][/right]

They don't have to remove any suspension either. Unbolt the lower ball joint , undo the axle and remove it from the hub. The engine may have to be moved aroud a bit but it is only truly supported at one end with the trans being removed.
Just do it yourself, lol

I came from Contour.org where they jack the car up on one side, install an LSD, flywheel, and new clutch, then head off to the track and blow it all up :)
Euro Ford Fan,May 5 2006, 07:26 PM Wrote:$800 get over it that's a nothing!

It was $3200 for my tiburon.
[right][snapback]185764[/snapback][/right]

That'll teach ya, for buying one of those
Dixie ford wanted a couple SVTF owners here to pay $2800

its the same all around.

800 is a damn good price.
scoobasteve,May 9 2006, 09:15 AM Wrote:Dixie ford wanted a couple SVTF owners here to pay $2800
[right][snapback]186208[/snapback][/right]

$3,200? :blink: The hell? Was Ford making the dealership assemble the clutch from a box of parts by hand?

NefCanuck
$800 installed, taxes in? That is CHEAP. When I had the C4 from my 78 Mercury Zephyr rebuilt, that cost me a little over $1300 after taxes. That was rebuilt, NOT replaced...

You are getting a good price.