FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Earthquake Shakes Oakville
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Earthquake shakes Oakville, frightens residents

Oakville, Ont. residents felt the earth move beneath their feet Thursday morning as a magnitude 2.7 earthquake shook the area for several seconds.

"All of a sudden there was this loud boom that sounded like an explosion," Oakville resident Cathy Godberson told CTV.ca. "The whole house shook, especially the floor. I felt it right up through my feet."

Seismologists with Natural Resources Canada confirmed that at 10:50 a.m. a small quake was recorded four kilometres north-west of Oakville. The source of the quake was almost five kilometres underground.

But it was enough to catch the attention of residents.

"It was scary. It was loud enough that it sounded like an explosion in the not-too-far distance," Godberson said.

While the quake was noticed by people in the area, seismologists say it was not strong enough to cause significant damage.

"There wouldn't be any structural damage associated with this," Seismologist Janet Drysdale told CTV.ca. "But people would wonder what's going on. It's not an everyday occurrence in their lives."

Scientists with Natural Resources Canada are examining data from the quake and will prepare a report. They say strong earthquakes are rare in the area, but small quakes are occasionally felt in that area near the end of Lake Ontario.

"Generally they're not too large. This is one of the larger ones," Drysdale said.

She said the largest quake recorded in the area had a magnitude of 3.8. It occurred Aug. 4, 2004 and the epicenter was located in Lake Ontario.

Quakes of magnitude 5.0 and stronger are usually associated with structural damage.

No reports of damage have been received as a result of Thursday's tremor.

Source : CTV.ca News Staff
Ouch,

haha how did you beat Andrew by 1 min?

dammm you are good

And as for FLO???? damm you are declared the new internet nazi.

good job :)

Uhh... mo, what does that have to do with the article? :lol: Maybe there should be a "random thread" in the bunny cage for random thoughts. Yeah, but I like Flo's idea for temp bans.

Either way, back ON topic... I would be shaken up if I felt the earthquake too!
Ottawa had a 4 pointer a few months ago. Was pretty crazy.

Regards
Internet Nazi
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 07:41 PM Wrote:Uhh... mo, what does that have to do with the article? :lol: Maybe there should be a "random thread" in the bunny cage for random thoughts. Yeah, but I like Flo's idea for temp bans.

Either way, back ON topic... I would be shaken up if I felt the earthquake too!
[right][snapback]185351[/snapback][/right]

I was on topic,

I SAID OUCH :D

please don't make them ban me, i need this site :(
Flofocus,May 4 2006, 03:49 PM Wrote:Ottawa had a 4 pointer a few months ago.  Was pretty crazy.
[right][snapback]185354[/snapback][/right]

Coincidentally, that was just before the Liberals conceded defeat.

*Knyuk Knyuk Knyuk* :lol:
Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 04:13 PM Wrote:Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P
[right][snapback]185358[/snapback][/right]

999. 1 more and your at a grand.

Andrew must be proud. :wub:

You should post a new topic about this milestone. I think its the 1st female in FC.net history to reach it. ;)
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 08:13 PM Wrote:Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P

i used to be a dedicated member once with no whoring at all, but all these post whores started coming in here and taking over this site. Since i can't beat them, mind as well join them :)

OHHHHH nice my 666 post
Can you seriously even feel a 2.7? Frighten my a$$
Now to keep the girl from reading, listening, or watching the news...

"Oh, you're so wonderful, I swear I felt the earth move!"
"Hail to the king baby!"
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 04:13 PM Wrote:Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P

Thats true... But i think he was in afghanistan for a year.
scoobasteve,May 5 2006, 03:53 PM Wrote:

Thats true... But i think he was in afghanistan for a year.
[right][snapback]185548[/snapback][/right]

Ohh Yeah, Thanks steve

I was in Bosnia actually for a 6 months, and ever since then Its the stupid websence that blocks me from using focusnet. So that is why i can not be a post whore :D
Thats right, Mo was in bosnia... someone else here was or is in afghanistan...

I think. :iono:
This is so off topic... :lol:
and thats the way it should be....
Craziness....
an off topic whored thread and I am not involved? hmm... how'd you let me miss this scooba!

Invite only :ph34r: