FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Lowering Car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys, i would like to lower my car this summer, and im thinking of the eibach sportline.the specs say...2'' front...2.25'' rear, now my problem is i have a 205/55r16 on right now would it be enough clearance before i start to rubb
ZTS_DJ,May 2 2006, 02:06 AM Wrote:hey guys, i would like to lower my car this summer, and im thinking of the eibach sportline.the specs say...2'' front...2.25'' rear, now my problem is i have a 205/55r16 on right now would it be enough clearance before i start to rubb
[right][snapback]184458[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, youl be okay I think. However, keep in mind that you'll need new struts shortly thereafter. The sportlines go through them like toilet paper. Also, the Pro-kit 1.5" is a less aggresive drop but will not blow your struts as fast.

Most guys on here are running pro-kits.

I personally find the srtlines just a bit too low. Especially for winter.
I have the sportlines. I had the stock shocks on for atleast a year and they were fine and never leaked. The only problem was that you had an extra bounce on bumps. Like anthony said you will be better off with a matched set for best performance.

Also for the ride in the winter, I never had a problem with it. The focus sits up high stock and even lowered it sit up higher than a honda lowered the same amount. My only downfall was the tires I had on so I wouldn't worry about it that much.

As for your tires, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Only problem you might have is when your car is loaded up and you make a sharp turn, other than that you should be fine.
nass,May 2 2006, 01:28 PM Wrote:I have the sportlines. I had the stock shocks on for atleast a year and they were fine and never leaked. The only problem was that you had an extra bounce on bumps
[right][snapback]184501[/snapback][/right]

sounds like it was pretty underdamped using the stock dampers.. i'm not sure i'd call that fine....

edit: actually i'd call that worse than stock
thanks im still goon look at both sets b4 i make a purchase, hopefully i can poast some pics up soon if i get it done

Tom
naz,May 3 2006, 12:33 AM Wrote:
nass,May 2 2006, 01:28 PM Wrote:I have the sportlines. I had the stock shocks on for atleast a year and they were fine and never leaked. The only problem was that you had an extra bounce on bumps

sounds like it was pretty underdamped using the stock dampers.. i'm not sure i'd call that fine....

[right][snapback]184911[/snapback][/right]

Most likely thats the car slamming into the bump stops. I had sportlines and it was actually a nice ride, over time tho the bump stops got hit allot more or so it seemed, and around corners it rubbed sometimes. Overall it looked sweet, and didn't ride 'that' bad.

If you want something that low I'd say get a coilover setup, not really much more than a good strut/shock/spring package, and you can adjust it until you like the ride height/handleing.

naz,May 3 2006, 04:33 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]184911[/snapback][/right]

Naw it's not as bad as you think, I have been in far worse cars where you don't stop bouncing. The stock dampers actually did a good job given they were no way meant for a 2"/2.25" drop. The back was fine but the front did start to lose it's effectivness. Like Hardkore said I was prolly hitting the bump stops rather hard and that doesn't help. I never had rubbing though but I have stock tire sizes.
Many guys have 2" drops with stock struts and have yet any problems. Most people get about 2 years.
I had no probs with my sportlines on stock struts.... it did bottom out with a carload... but i never trimmed my bump stops as per the instructions....
Dark Puppet and I have the SHM kit...pretty much the equivalent of the PRO System Plus...

No problems with dampners wearing out, no front end parts wearing out, no extra bounce, no rubbing, etc....life is good...