FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sputtering One Day Check Engine Light Next
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<_< :angry: So, yesterday i'm driving home (02 wagon w Zetec & Auto) and i'm driving up on a bridge doing about 70-80km holding steady and the rpm starts to fluctuate and the car seems to sort of sputter, i take my foot off the gas and alls well. Today i drive to work , no problem, i run out to grab lunch and the check engine light comes on but the car seems to run fine...

First thought was .... BAD GAS, but i fueled up 2 days ago..

So am I worried for nothing??
Go to a ford dealer or your mechanic and get the code read. Could be something really simple. I had mine come on for a loose gas cap.
word check your gas cap and get the code read
NO NO NOT THE DEALER PLEASE ANYTHING BUT THE DEALER :blink: :blink:

I'll check the gas cap first.
I just took mine to my mechanic who had an OBD reader. The gas cap might feel tight but sometimes the seal goes and you have to replace the cap.
Also check to see if the wires going to the coilpack are exposed/wearing, that caused me a cel and sputtering once. It wouldn't hurt to get a new gas cap either. Then disconnect the battery and hopefully no more check engine light :) . Goodluck
Can you say "DPFE" (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) sensor.

Your symptoms sound like the classic DPFE failure. Miy '01 did the same thing, but for 3-4 of days, before the CEL came on.

I know for earlier Foci, the DPFE warranty was extended for an additional 2 years / 40,000 km under program 02M01. If you received a letter about this from Ford, be sure to take it along with you to the stealership. Even if your out of warranty, bitch and complain about the fact this part was faulty from day one, and maybe they'll do something for you.
Sounds like a dpfe.

Total cost...around 160 bucks. Sad part is...the part is only 66 bucks.

We've pretty much all hasours replaced.

Comes with the car.
Sounds like DPFE

It's an "unadvertised feature" of the Focus.
ANTHONYD,Apr 29 2006, 08:51 AM Wrote:Sounds like a dpfe.

Total cost...around 160 bucks. Sad part is...the part is only 66 bucks.

We've pretty much all hasours replaced.

Comes with the car.
[right][snapback]184044[/snapback][/right]

Holy cripes! What part are they selling you? Part alone is $47.74 (look for part 4U7Z*9J460*AA - this is the revised part).

Dealer diagnostic will cost about $100 for the labour.

Other things, I've found, can make the car engine fluctuate, like bad plug or plug wires, dirty mass air flow sensors and the likes.
Goto partsource and ask to use there OBD2 reader. get the code then go on focal jet and look up the code.

Sounds like a DPFE or bad upstream o2. I had the same thing on my focus and after replacing so many parts came out to be a o2 sensor.
i had this problem before, check you coilpack, wires and plugs. i had a misfire in one of the cylinders and it caused my car to sputter and stall
ZTS_DJ,Apr 30 2006, 02:04 PM Wrote:i had this problem before, check you coilpack, wires and plugs. i had a misfire in one of the cylinders and it caused my car to sputter and stall
[right][snapback]184205[/snapback][/right]

Check it out...

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=12957

Had the exact same symptoms!
its called a PFE sensor.. had mine done yesterday... its recalled, or whatever the 2 years longer warranty states, but should the diagnostics cost be covered by it as well?
:D :P :D :P :D YIPEE!!! Had the codes read by a buddy at a local garage and yup it's a DPFE sensor. As I was digging thru my paperwork I found the printout from Ford for the sevice bulliten(extened 2 years and x kms) Went to Ford and STRESSED that I did NOT want a $300 + bill for anything stupid that they might find and just replace the sensor please. Took them 2 hours..dunno why, I could have done it in 5 minutes but what the hey. Oh and they didn't even reset the stupid CEL.

Anyway the CEL light went out the next day and the car has been fine since! Thanks everyone!!

Glad we could be of service!