FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Should I Or Shouldn't I
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a dilema I was hoping for other people's opinions. I've been going to events with a local group qcma(qcma.org) They do auto racing and such. Alot of it is Autoslalom timed events in a preset course. Now I'd like to give this a try. I'm just worried about if I hit something or damage my car I'm F****ed. I don't think there would be insurance on something like this. My dad recommends against it since the focus is my only car. But from everyone in the group they said there's really no chance for damage, if you drive off the road your into grass. I was just wondering other people's opinion on something like this. The course itself is actually a go-kart track.
Do you have the money to fix what ever happens to the car? (ie; smash up fenders, or other body panels)
And if you are afraid of wrecking it you will ultimately hesitate when your actually racing and you could make the wrong decision causing you damage to your car and injury.
If you do do it and your insurance company finds out I guarentee they will drop you faster than you can believe.
I personally wouldn't do it because there is too many posibilites of damage to my car and especially to me.
PIGEON1,Apr 25 2006, 09:32 AM Wrote:Do you have the money to fix what ever happens to the car? (ie; smash up fenders, or other body panels)
And if you are afraid of wrecking it you will ultimately hesitate when your actually racing and you could make the wrong decision causing you damage to your car and injury.
If you do do it and your insurance company finds out I guarentee they will drop you faster than you can believe.
I personally wouldn't do it because there is too many posibilites of damage to my car and especially to me.
[right][snapback]183271[/snapback][/right]
SGI doesn't work like that out for insurance. All these events are insured and are legal. Just doesn't insure the cars, only dmg to the road, track, PEOPLE. The club qcma say they stress SAFETY aboce all, and say this is the best way to learn to drive properly. No I don't really have the money to fix broken s***.
Go for it. Tyler(focusguy) has done it several time here in Saskatoon.
They run the event on Tuesdays evenings starting in May at CU Place.
You just need a helmet.
He has had alot of fun doing it and has never had a problem.
I'm thinking of going myself. :)
SVTZX503,Apr 25 2006, 10:23 AM Wrote:Go for it. Tyler(focusguy) has done it several time here in Saskatoon.
They run the event on Tuesdays evenings starting in May at CU Place.
You just need a helmet.
He has had alot of fun doing it and has never had a problem.
I'm thinking of going myself. :)
[right][snapback]183281[/snapback][/right]
Like he does the K&M go-kart track by lumsden?
autoXing is fun.... and while it's quite cheap, just consider that, as with any kind of driving, you're going to put wear and tear on your car.

If you are just getting into AutoX, you may find things like tires don't last as long..

There's always a cost associated with racing, however, autox-like racing is very cheap and you can do it with low risk to your daily driver. Not necessarily "no" risk, but low enough.

darkpuppet,Apr 25 2006, 11:11 AM Wrote:autoXing is fun.... and while it's quite cheap, just consider that, as with any kind of driving, you're going to put wear and tear on your car.

If you are just getting into AutoX, you may find things like tires don't last as long..

There's always a cost associated with racing, however, autox-like racing is very cheap and you can do it with low risk to your daily driver.  Not necessarily "no" risk, but low enough.
[right][snapback]183293[/snapback][/right]
Yah I do realize I will use tires faster. My other option is always find an engine for my 84 celica supra, and use that for the racing then who gives a sheet if it smacks something it's already rusting :D And just sitting in my driveway my dad wanted me to sell it to the junkyard for 50$. Maybe find an engine for 1k$.
If you can't afford to repair anything you might break....i wouldn't do it.
go for it and try it out, just keep up the maintance on your car and you shouldn't have a problem, will wear your tires out more so you might want to buy a new set after the addiction sets in.
FocusGuy7476,Apr 25 2006, 07:40 PM Wrote:go for it and try it out, just keep up the maintance on your car and you shouldn't have a problem, will wear your tires out more so you might want to buy a new set after the addiction sets in.
[right][snapback]183363[/snapback][/right]
I'm going to try and get a beater car to use. Till then Imma get a helmet to go with some of the other guys there.
Seems I have found the solution, A beater. I found an 84 celica gts that was a total loss with insurance some guy bought and was using for this exact purpose, he's selling it needs to be towed everywhere but this might work out good, specially for only 300$
I know alot of the guys that run that group. The guy that helped me put on my rims in one of the organizers. Always trying to get me to come out. Any way.

Just dont let Ford find out becuase if you break something on your car and they find out its due to taking your car to the track they wont warranty it. Also SGI can be pretty sketchy about it to if you do end up wrecking the car but I dont ever recall hearing anything bad ever happening to any ones car.

There are many new and old cars out there.
ZX3TUNR,Apr 26 2006, 11:25 AM Wrote:I know alot of the guys that run that group. The guy that helped me put on my rims in one of the organizers. Always trying to get me to come out. Any way.

Just dont let Ford find out becuase if you break something on your car and they find out its due to taking your car to the track they wont warranty it. Also SGI can be pretty sketchy about it to if you do end up wrecking the car but I dont ever recall hearing anything bad ever happening to any ones car.

There are many new and old cars out there.
[right][snapback]183497[/snapback][/right]
I like the beater option beater. Just towing it may prove to be somewhat problemish. Since the focus doesn't and will never have a hitch. Gotz the van or maybe a truck to borrow :D
just remember you will have to insurance on your "beater" to get it to the track unless you are going to trailer it there. And if you get insurance from a normal outfit that insures an every day car and you get caught racing with it they will not cover you.
Does gcma cover you if in a freak situation you hurt or God forbid kill someone? If they don't I'd think twice and if they do that great for you and everyone that will be there.
I would do it if all these are covered where I wouldn't be in any risk of retrabution but if any of them seem unsure I wouldn;t do it.
But then again I'm a little paranoid about things like that.

Oh ya have a blast doing it too.
PIGEON1,Apr 26 2006, 02:34 PM Wrote:just remember you will have to insurance on your "beater" to get it to the track unless you are going to trailer it there. And if you get insurance from a normal outfit that insures an every day car and you get caught racing with it they will not cover you.
Does gcma cover you if in a freak situation you hurt or God forbid kill someone? If they don't I'd think twice and if they do that great for you and everyone that will be there.
I would do it if all these are covered where I wouldn't be in any risk of retrabution but if any of them seem unsure I wouldn;t do it.
But then again I'm a little paranoid about things like that.

Oh ya have a blast doing it too.
[right][snapback]183514[/snapback][/right]
Yes Qcma has insurance for the track people only, not the cars or damage to them. I'm pretty sure I don't need to plate the beater at all since first it's not plateable being a write off from sgi, and 2ndly one of the members has a corolla that's a w/o he tows to the events. Which is what I'm thinking of doing.
WELL GIVE IT HELL BATMAN
Just Do It Take It Easy to start with and see how you do thats my advise
its not completely risk free.. and i think the major risk is going to be if you go off course.. i think that if you do go off course and on the grass don't try to 'save it' and get back on course.. just keep the wheels straight, firmly apply the brake, slow down, accept you DNF'd that run.. i think its when you try to save it that you could really get in trouble..

just have fun and go for it!

out of curiosity what are you scared you will hit? a cone?
I donno, this is saskatchewan maybe a cow? :D