FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How To Break In A Modified Zetec Motor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was woundering if anyone on here has done ther pistons and rods etc and how they broke in the motor apperently i see two ways take it easy for the 1st 3000km or break it in hard on the dyno can anyone help me out with this?
aaron has done some top end work to his car, but not the bottom end.

take it nice and easy and change the oil after the first 100km.
meford4u,Apr 24 2006, 10:13 PM Wrote:aaron has done some top end work to his car, but not the bottom end.

take it nice and easy and change the oil after the first 100km.
[right][snapback]183227[/snapback][/right]

When I did my tib motor last year I did and oil and filter change at 100, 500, 1000 and 1500Km then added boost. I always kept the RPM limit under 3000. The guys who built my motor did put it on the dyno first to seat everything before it shipped to me.

I'm just now reaching 5000KM on it so I'll be making the switch from dino to synthetic.
Bring 'er to me, I'll break it in. :yikes:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 25 2006, 10:02 AM Wrote:Bring 'er to me, I'll break it in.  :yikes:
[right][snapback]183266[/snapback][/right]

Emphasis on the "break" part right? :lol:

NefCanuck
I've heard the same stuff, pretty much use regular oil frequent oil changes for first while, I mean if you do your own oil changes its not going to cost you a whole lot.

PS: U gotta post some dynos of your new setup when its done too!
Ask SVTdean...

....ohh....LOL,...my bad//you said break in a zetec motor...

I thought it said how to break into a modified zetec...

:lol:
microbunny,Apr 28 2006, 05:59 AM Wrote:Ask SVTdean...

....ohh....LOL,...my bad//you said break in a zetec motor...

I thought it said how to break into a modified zetec...

:lol:
[right][snapback]183841[/snapback][/right]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!@#!# :lol:
sorry to bring this thread back to life but the best way to break in a engine is rip the s*** out of it,

here is a great web page all about it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
kamilk69,Nov 11 2006, 12:28 AM Wrote:sorry to bring this thread back to life but the best way to break in a engine is rip the s*** out of it,

[right][snapback]215514[/snapback][/right]
You should learn to be quiet.
meford4u,Nov 11 2006, 06:34 AM Wrote:
kamilk69,Nov 11 2006, 12:28 AM Wrote:sorry to bring this thread back to life but the best way to break in a engine is rip the s*** out of it,

[right][snapback]215514[/snapback][/right]
You should learn to be quiet.
[right][snapback]215520[/snapback][/right]

no
Its seems theres more sites out there that recommend taking it easy on the engine and changing oil frequently than there are sites that recommend driving the piss out of a new engine. Not one to believe everything i read on the net, I'd be inclined to take it easy if for no other reason than that it makes more common sense.
habmann,Nov 13 2006, 03:13 AM Wrote:Its seems theres more sites out there that recommend taking it easy on the engine and changing oil frequently than there are sites that recommend driving the piss out of a new engine. Not one to believe everything i read on the net, I'd be inclined to take it easy if for no other reason than that it makes more common sense.
[right][snapback]215712[/snapback][/right]

thats what i thought too, but then i read that article and it change my mind, if your read the entire site it makes sense
Habmann - Take it easy for for the first 500 km's and you shouldn't have any issues.

Depending on the work completed you want to make sure you seat the valves/rings before exceeding capacity (adding boost).

I've rebuilt my 1G DSM a few times now and the best way I found to seal the rings was to take it easy for the first 2 gas tank fulls (about 500km) and then you can start having fun.

What have you done to the car since I've seen it last BTW?

~ Clutch
Clutch,Nov 13 2006, 04:11 PM Wrote:Habmann - Take it easy for for the first 500 km's and you shouldn't have any issues. 

Depending on the work completed you want to make sure you seat the valves/rings before exceeding capacity (adding boost).

I've rebuilt my 1G DSM a few times now and the best way I found to seal the rings was to take it easy for the first 2 gas tank fulls (about 500km) and then you can start having fun.

What have you done to the car since I've seen it last BTW?

~ Clutch
[right][snapback]215814[/snapback][/right]

I'm not breaking in a new motor, atleast not on any cars that i own right now, maybe the car i get for next summer i might but we'll see what it ends up being.

Haven't done muc of anything to it since you saw it. I think I'm pretty much done with major mods to it, trying to decide what my project car for next summer is going to be. The rims were a nice way to finish off the look.

Well heres my 2 Cents if ur breaking in a new motor then yes take it easy but we are talking about a modified motor as in built internals like pistons and piston rings and for the rings to seal properly they do need to heat up but that does not mean beat on ur car strech ur gears and always be shifting into different gears and at different rpms never be cruzing especially for the first 100 km i did my 1st oil change after 100km and all the small shaving from the pistons and s*** came out witch is a good thing after that i did the same thing and changed oil at 1000km and there was very lil metal shaving after that i did an oil change at 3000km and then 5000km but one thing do not use synthetic oil untill u have completly broke it in any questions you can pm me ive been there asked all the questions