FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Picking Up My Xbox 360 Tomorrow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
YuP Im finally taking the plunge. And Im fairly damn excited. Ive got the console and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on hold. Ive already picked up the VGA cable to play it on my big old viewsonic CRT monitor. Also modchip development is progressing quickly with several chips on the horizon.... So why not :D

Anyone here have the console, if so what are your thoughts/opinions?

-P@
I actually don't have it but a cousin of mine had it and needless to say, I was over there a lot. It's a great console especially for its online capabilities. There isn't much game choice out there right now but what IS out there is pretty darned good. Elder Scrolls looks like it should be an amazing game. Also, the first games you should rent are Fight Night and Ghost Recon or Call of Duty. All three of these games are absolutely the most fun you'll have.
The graphics on the system however could be better. Even on HD, it doesn't quite pack the punch I would have hoped for from a next gen console. And on standard definition tv's, it looks very much like original xbox graphics. But if you're like me, graphics come second to gameplay. All in all, a good system.
x2

Standard def TVs + X360 = YAWN.

Hi-Def TV/LCD/DLP/XYZ + 360 = nice, about a good, top-end gaming computer.

The nice part is that the graphics can't get any worse unless the programmers are morons. The bad news is that they can't get any better.

Also, at least the menus for Oblivion are designed for the XBox 360.... cause they sure weren't designed for the PC version!

No doubt, it'll be sweet. Enjoy it. And I know a guy getting rid of his Premium / whatever it's called, the top end one already. I believe CoD 2 is up for grabs, as are controllers and whatever else if you wanna vulture some stuff. Let me know.
I think standard def TVs do benefit from the xbox360's. Sure, it's not the crispiest, but you still get all the effects, all the extra shaders, all the extra antialiasing, not to mention all the neat features of the new systems.

And the graphics have nowhere to go BUT up.. the fact that the original xbox with it's basic geForce GPU and 700MHz CPU has been able to keep up with PCs is a testament to the benefits of owning a console. The downside being the lack of standard PC interfaces and paying $10 more per game... I guess they need to make back the $3,000 difference in hardware prices somehow.

Just as graphics don't make the game, resolution doesn't make the graphics.

I think the xbox will scale alongside PC graphics for a couple of years.. until developers are thoroughly comfortable with multi-threaded programming, the xbox 360 should be far from obsolete for quite some time.

Me personally, while I recognize all the great things about the xbox 360, I can't help it, I'm holding out for the PS3... it's going to be a good fight between the two, and from the last dog and pony show I saw, the real world performance might actually meet paper performance.

I think in the long run, the PS3 will mature better, but that point is still 2 years into the future..

enjoy the xbox..

p.s. I'm trying to get some invalidated cell processors..anyone want a keychain?
Oblivion is great, I got it for the PC, the menus arn't that bad at all once you get used to them.....

Congrats on your new purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it a ton......
Thanks for the input peeps :) Yeah im heading out in an hour or so to get it.... Im not too concerned as microsoft has proved themselves a formidable comeptitor to sony in the console wars, and has earned tremendous third party support in doing so. I mean youre now starting to see titles on the 360 that would have never happened on the original xbox (Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc.) I will likely buy a PS3 as well, but in all honesty I will likely hold out for some time becuase i had 2 PS2's just crap out on me, so I want to be sure Sony has upped their quality control a little.

-P@
lordkingod,Apr 25 2006, 03:13 PM Wrote:I will likely buy a PS3 as well, but in all honesty I will likely hold out for some time becuase i had 2 PS2's just crap out on me, so I want to be sure Sony has upped their quality control a little.

-P@
[right][snapback]183304[/snapback][/right]

You 2 heh. I had 2 of them go on me. I bought the 3rd one used....just couldnt justify buying a new one...

Kind of like our cars. :ph34r:
i'm gonna hold off until there are more titles out there. i still play some old SNES games so its all bout game play for me...