FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tornadoes Last Night
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1709016 - nothing over land was confirmed here just yet. Damage seems to be minimal last night. We went for a cruise after the fact to survey for damage, lend a hand if need be, etc.

Sadly, at least one died in Durham region. :( Vaughan got a s***-kicking as well apparently.

Anything newsworthy in your neck of the woods?
Less than 1/2 km away from my house:

[Image: IMG_1217.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1215.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1218.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1204.jpg]

Luckily no damage to my house, but debris field was pretty extensive. The above pictures show the shingles and debris I picked off my driveway. My neighbour 10 houses down the street lost his shed and backyard fencing is all twisted up. The stucco house in the 3rd picture looked like a puck-riddled hockey arena boards from the flying shingles. Apparently a block away from the 2nd picture there was a house with its entire roof blown off.
dBlast,Aug 21 2009, 07:41 AM Wrote:Luckily no damage to my house, but debris field was pretty extensive.  The above pictures show the shingles and debris I picked off my driveway.  My neighbour 10 houses down the street lost his shed and backyard fencing is all twisted up.  The stucco house in the 3rd picture looked like a puck-riddled hockey arena boards from the flying shingles.  Apparently a block away from the 2nd picture there was a house with its entire roof blown off.
[right][snapback]293082[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I was thinking of you last night while watching the news ... unbelievable that whole row of 5 or 6 houses - all look to be writeoffs.

Glad your okay Vince - a real shame about that young boy but it looks like a bit of miracle there weren't more fatalities.
Yeah, Vince! I thought about you as soon as I posted the thread... was like "wait, f***. Vince lives in Vaughan or somewhere up near there!"

It's good to hear that you, the fam and the house got out without a scratch.

It was funny in that we saw the weather coming (our deck faces south and we have a bit of a view to the west - the storm came in from the south-west, over the lake) and we figured "oh well, a storm". Then, 20 minutes into the tornado warning @ 6:25PM, we saw the news footage of the water spouts. f***. 20 minutes after that, super low and rotating dark clouds passed over the house. We already had the animals gathered, listening for winds and watching for the weather to shift again in case we had to head for the basement. The whole thing was gone by 7:05PM.
The twister in Woodbridge Touched down in behind the Midas on 7 were my unlce works. fliped over a couple boats proceeded east into NoFrills parking lot. Ripped off a hood of a Mack Truck and then destroying a Shopping cart holder.
Went north across the street to another shopping plaza damaging 100 cars roughly flipping 20 over. Didn't stop there, proceeded east again into an intersection ripping light poles out and then into the residencial tearing roofs off.

East of 7 a little bit further I saw a electric crew fixing to put in a new grid box because the one I saw was peeled open like a banna from the lightning.
I was in TO yesterday for a day meeting. Got on th eplane at 5:30, they kept us on the plane till about 7...then cancelled the flight.

Was supposed to come back at 11:30 but they couldnt gurantee that, that flight wouldnt be cancelled also. so I had to stay in TO until this morning, then fly back to Ottawa at 7am.

We stood in line for about 2 hours to rebook flights and get our hotel vouchers...I was one of the last in line (second last) and had to listen to the 5 in front of me reem out the west jet guys. The guy in front of me started, and I just went off on him telling him to give these guys a fawkin break, theres fawkin tornadoes touching down and its out of thier hands. 'What? you want to be up in the sky with this mess? be my fawkin guess' Fawk some people. :rolleyes:

The west jet guys gave me $100 meal voucher for stepping in. :D
Your my hero Flo.

One day, you'll learn the phrase "mind your own(FAWKIN) business"

Oh, and it was in the town of Durham NOS, it's located between Mt. Forest and Owen Sound on Hwy. #6
Since Flo and I were trading places lastnight, I was in Ottawa, in relative safety when the news came in from my GF about the weather down there.

Pretty amazing that there weren't more injuries or fatalities.

Glad to hear our extended family here came out unscathed.

I think, we're going to see more and more tornados touching down into populated areas around here -- there's lots of flat land that used to be farm, but is now suburbs.

I miss having hills around to protect me.
Glad to hear that everyone was ok. Was watching the news and the scroller at the bottom had all the places, and at the end.. "Lindsay - Southern Kawartha Lakes".. and was like aw fawk.. i have a trailer up there.. in a fawking trailer park. Tornadoes like trailer parks. But, nothing happened up there so was ok.

After the worst of the storm hit (I LOVE being out in storms for some odd reason. Maybe its the raw power of nature that fascinates me, or I have a death wish), I went outside.. anyone notice how "bright" everything was? The greens were greener, the reds redder. All colors just popped. Almost looked like real-life HDR photography.
meford4u,Aug 21 2009, 11:10 AM Wrote:One day, you'll learn the phrase "mind your own(FAWKIN) business"

[right][snapback]293095[/snapback][/right]

When im waiting 2 hours because some douchebag is arguing about something totally out of the control of a flight attendant, it is my business.
Yeah it was nasty stuff here in 'Sauga too. No tornadoes but a few mature trees near the office were pulled clean out of the ground and I'm unsure of any property damage on / near the condo property as I was in such a rush to get to work :ph34r:

We hada astrech of about an hour with lightining strikes every minute and a half, some of which I could actually see the impact <_<

Only one fatality, I think that was just sheer dumb luck considering where the worst of the storm hit :blink:

Reminds me, I have to call our property manager to see what the tally is :(

NefCanuck
It was pretty dicey here in Burlington.
The lightning was absolutley incredible.
The school parking lot (where we had the FC BBQ) had 3 of the 4 light posts struck blowing out the lenses.
Pretty awesome from my back window.

I also watched my prick neighbor's gazebo end up in his pool. Fawkin prick.

And the creepy thing was, it was over as quick as it started. I was at the driving range by 8:00.
ANTHONYD,Aug 24 2009, 09:26 AM Wrote:I also watched my prick neighbor's gazebo end up in his pool. Fawkin prick.

[right][snapback]293156[/snapback][/right]

Get any photos? :D