FocusCanada Forums
Question - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Question (/showthread.php?tid=10993)

Pages: 1 2

Question - SDPZX3 - 02-06-2006

at what mileage do u change your timing belt???
i got an 03 ZX3 with the zetec, and i got bout 111200kms on it
i checked the owners manual but it doesn't tell me anything

also curiouis bout when you get a tune-up??? plugs, rotor and wires
thanx guys

Sean

Question - schade - 02-06-2006

they usually say to change the timing belt at around 80-90K .. but you can usually get much more out of it

its a touchy situation though, cuz if it breaks then you can be into some major engine damage

I'd get it done to be safe

Question - jcarle - 02-06-2006

SDPZX3,Feb 5 2006, 05:12 PM Wrote:at what mileage do u change your timing belt???
i got an 03 ZX3 with the zetec, and i got bout 111200kms on it
i checked the owners manual but it doesn't tell me anything

also curiouis bout when you get a tune-up???   plugs, rotor and wires
thanx guys

Sean
[right][snapback]168567[/snapback][/right]

The manufacturer's specifications for recommended replacement intervals on the timing belt is 100,000km. I'm not sure if there's possibility of damage on the focus if the timing belt looses teeth, skips a tooth or snaps, but you're definately past the recommended mileage mark. I'd very much suggest that you change it. A timing belt costs much less then what could happen (if anything) to the engine. Never mind the towing costs if it snaps when you're not close to home.

As for tune up, age and kms both come into play. Weather conditions may also affect your tune-up requirements. For example, here, in Quebec, salt and cold winters cause havoc on plugs and rotors, and because of that, they're often changed sooner then the kilometers used would require them to.

However, I'm pretty sure that your model has electronic ignition (correct me if I'm wrong guys?) and doesn't require changing of the rotor (there would be none if I'm correct).

My personal recommendation is change your wires every two years and your plugs every 50,000kms.

I'm particularily fussy, so I change my wires every 2 years and my plugs every 25,000km. I use liberal quantities of die-electric silicone on the inside of my wires to prevent corrosion and I use anti-seize on the plug threads to make them easier to change.

cool, thanx alot guys

how much does it cost to put opn a new timing belt???

is it alot of work??? labour wise???

let me know??

thanx

Sean

Question - jcarle - 02-06-2006

If you don't do it yourself, I'd go to the dealer to get it done.

As for how much work is it to do it yourself? I have no idea, I haven't done mine yet.

Question - schade - 02-06-2006

the belt itself is a 40-60$ part .. its the labour thats killer on the job

I'd say about 4-5 hrs just cuz you have to remove the motor mount and the power steering pump i believe

ok cool
thanx guys

Sean

Question - ANTHONYD - 02-06-2006

It will cost your ass around 500-600 bucks.

Question - euro_zx5 - 02-06-2006

ANTHONYD,Feb 6 2006, 08:28 AM Wrote:It will cost your ass around 500-600 bucks.
[right][snapback]168618[/snapback][/right]

Mr. Positive eh... :unsure:

Question - NOS2Go4Me - 02-07-2006

Must be horrid for the Zetec guys... it's a fraction of that for the SPI. Totally different config tho.

I was told about 90-100K by the dealer, so doing mine sometime between now and summer. And yes by "doing it" I mean taking it to the dealer :P

Question - ThraxXx - 02-07-2006

thought you already did the timing belt when you installed that UDP?

Question - PerfectSaiyan - 02-07-2006

if you have done a UDP, and installed a comptetion cam belt, then you do not need to replace it.

but I would say 100,000 KM is when you should change it.

maybe you shoudl check it for wear, because there are NO warnings for when it is going to go out.

but when I hear some whining coming from my engine, it wont be because of a belt slipping :)

Question - nass - 02-07-2006

Ok first off can someone please dispell the myth that the Zetec is a non-interference motor?!? I have read both that it is and it is not

As for the belt I think I was quoted 3.5 hours for the belt swap so if your shop charged $88/hr do the math.

My car has 115k on it and the belt literally new. No cracks no damaged teeth nothing, I even went in to swap it out and the garage was like, it's not needed. Now either they were being nice or really lazy haha.

Question - jcarle - 02-07-2006

nass,Feb 6 2006, 07:41 PM Wrote:Ok first off can someone please dispell the myth that the Zetec is a non-interference motor?!? I have read both that it is and it is not

As for the belt I think I was quoted 3.5 hours for the belt swap so if your shop charged $88/hr do the math.

My car has 115k on it and the belt literally new. No cracks no damaged teeth nothing, I even went in to swap it out and the garage was like, it's not needed. Now either they were being nice or really lazy haha.
[right][snapback]168790[/snapback][/right]

Teeth may also become "rounded".

Question - meford4u - 02-07-2006

The Zetec is a non-interference motor.

The boy says 4.5-6 hours depending on the shop. They charge 4.5 hours for just the timing belt, but suggest the water pump be done at the same time and 1.5 hours on top of that. Thus.......6 hours.

Question - ZX3TUNING - 02-07-2006

4.5-6HOURS??
WTF?

Bill time is 2.7hours for the timing belt and an additional hour for the water pump according to my repair program and the Ford QCdealer site program.
Takes me 1-1.5hours to do a timing belt on the zetec, add 45mins for the water pump.

if you changed your udp, that would be the serpintine belt, not the timing belt you changed. completely unrelated!!

timing belts should be changed every 100,000kms like clockwork!
no "if's" "and's" or "but's"!

timing belts do not show signs of wear(cracks, etc) like serpintine belts do. any shop that looks at a timing belt and says, "hey, no wear!? you're fine, don't worry about it!" should be the last place you ever take your car to again!
if you look for anything to check a timing belt it's the amount of slack in the belt. because the amount of tension in a timing belt is so much less than a serpintine belt, there is much less "wear and tear" on the belt. also because of the design of the belt, any wear to the belt is internal and cannot be seen by just "looking" at it.

"The Zetec is a non-interference motor"
this is true only with the stock valvetrain and or stock deck-height. big lobe cams or decking the head to increase compression makes the Zetec a "interference motor"

Question - Flofocus - 02-08-2006

So, who's done the timing belt change? Any pricing on it??

I'm at 108K....I guess its time....dammit. :(

Question - NOS2Go4Me - 02-08-2006

ThraxXx,Feb 6 2006, 04:28 PM Wrote:thought you already did the timing belt when you installed that UDP?
[right][snapback]168748[/snapback][/right]

Different belt... it's actually behind the serpentine belt, at least on the SPI. There's a shield to remove after you remove the serpentine belt, and then you pop the timing belt off.

I could be mistaken, but from what I've read/seen on the IntarWeb, that's the way the SPI is done. IIRC the Zetec has the timing belt on the opposite end of the motor from the serpentine belt... right?

The timing belt also drives the water pump on the SPI via a separate pulley from the main crank pulley... again, behind the serp. crank pulley.

Question - nass - 02-08-2006

Flofocus,Feb 7 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:So, who's done the timing belt change?  Any pricing on it??

I'm at 108K....I guess its time....dammit.  :(
[right][snapback]168910[/snapback][/right]

meh drive until it snaps. have a spare in the trunk and the tools needed.

Question - Flofocus - 02-08-2006

nass,Feb 7 2006, 04:56 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Feb 7 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:So, who's done the timing belt change?  Any pricing on it??

I'm at 108K....I guess its time....dammit.  :(
[right][snapback]168910[/snapback][/right]

meh drive until it snaps. have a spare in the trunk and the tools needed.
[right][snapback]168969[/snapback][/right]

Frig, I dont want to even do this....Just got off the phone with my mechanic

$450.00 + Taxes, all OEM parts, including new water pump.

Thinking I'm gonna wait and tackle this myself. <_<