FocusCanada Forums
Small Amps...who Makes Them? - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on I.C.E. (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Small Amps...who Makes Them? (/showthread.php?tid=1632)

Small Amps...who Makes Them? - Drivesthebeast - 04-19-2009

Hey everybody,

I have a non-foci, but still Ford related question. I've been thinking of upgrading the 8" Sub in the sealed enclosure in my Escape (Mach 300 stereo), but I will probably need to upgrade the factory amp too, in order to drive the new woofer properly (not sure if it would have enough power/current to play the new woofer). The stock Mach amp is tiny, and I don't know how much larger of an aftermarket amp I could fit in it's place (might require some minor fabrication). I'm fairly pleased with the output of just one small sub in my truck, and I'd like to have a little bit more impact and SPL, without having a large-ish box and amp like I used to have in the ZX3. I basically want to keep things close to stock, just upgraded to higher quality and more power handling capability.

I know Sony, Alpine, and Pioneer make some small amps...I would preffer to get something that is maybe class D, and runs 200-250W RMS in mono to safely drive a single 8" without stress, and still be able to bury it the rear 1/4 panel like the stock amp.

Any ideas?

Thanks! B)

Small Amps...who Makes Them? - ANTHONYD - 04-19-2009

these are pretty tiny.
and wicked quality too.

BOSTON MAKES AMPS NOW!
[Image: gt275_1.jpg]

Small Amps...who Makes Them? - skifreak69 - 04-19-2009

Pioneer's GMD7400 is a good little amp, i think it's about 9 inches square or so and is rated at 250wrms at 4Ohms.

Small Amps...who Makes Them? - Canadian ST - 04-19-2009

I have read else where that you can fit a 10inch JL sub into the factory enclosure. I would do some more research on switching amps. I think the factory amp also powers the door speakers to a certain point. When I checked my amp it had numerous wires going from the amp harness. Maybe try the bigger sub first then try a bigger amp.

Are you still using the Infinity sub/amp combo?

Small Amps...who Makes Them? - Drivesthebeast - 04-19-2009

No, that was in the Mustang, and I removed it and sold it to someone back in Pet. I am searching from almost every brand, including the cheapie stuff (Pyle, Legacy, Boss, Lanzar's lower-end stuff) to see who makes small amps that are at least more than 100-150W RMS (otherwise I see no point in making the switch). A lot of people on Escape-City have swapped the stock 8" sub with a Kicker or other shallow-mount driver with great success (especially after putting a separate amp in the floor storeage compartment to drive it) having deeper extension, and more sheer volume, still using the stock enclosure.

Thanks for the replies so far everybody!