FocusCanada Forums
suspension question - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: suspension question (/showthread.php?tid=18753)

suspension question - blue_light - 02-12-2011

ok so I was just under the car checking all bushings and for anything that could be causing a wiggle, i can't find anything but the front sway bar link seems loose to me, i don't know if there is suppose to be much movement in it? they were just replaced about 3 months ago.

RE: suspension question - duckcanuck - 02-12-2011

(02-12-2011, 05:27 AM)blue_light Wrote: ok so I was just under the car checking all bushings and for anything that could be causing a wiggle, i can't find anything but the front sway bar link seems loose to me, i don't know if there is suppose to be much movement in it? they were just replaced about 3 months ago.
Usually there is no movement at the ball ends. But only three months old is crazy for a failure.

Did you replace both sides?

Bob

RE: suspension question - ZTWsquared - 02-12-2011

(02-12-2011, 05:27 AM)blue_light Wrote: ok so I was just under the car checking all bushings and for anything that could be causing a wiggle, i can't find anything but the front sway bar link seems loose to me, i don't know if there is suppose to be much movement in it? they were just replaced about 3 months ago.

AFAIK there shouldn't be any movement of the the link with the suspension loaded. Ford OEM pieces are really wimpy and easily damaged ... or did you replace them with heavier parts.

RE: suspension question - blue_light - 02-12-2011

i used ford oem part and had the dealership replace them

(02-12-2011, 09:56 AM)blue_light Wrote: i used ford oem part and had the dealership replace them

I just re-read your op ... I'm pretty sure that the first evidence of a loose sway bar is a clunking noise that gets worse over time.

I think it would have to be seriously bad to cause any kind of wiggle while driving and even then maybe not. Do you have any ice build-up on your wheels that might cause an imbalance, or have you hit something that might cause your alignment to be off? Brake rotors too under some conditions can cause a wiggle in the steering wheel. And of course you should make sure your tire pressures are equal on both sides.

RE: suspension question - blue_light - 02-12-2011

the only thing i can think of is i hit a patch of ice and went into a drift and than hit dry pavement kinda hard. iv noticed the rear wheel looks like the camber is out

(02-12-2011, 10:08 AM)blue_light Wrote: the only thing i can think of is i hit a patch of ice and went into a drift and than hit dry pavement kinda hard. iv noticed the rear wheel looks like the camber is out

That might do it ... you should also check your wheel nuts and make sure nothing is loose there.