FocusCanada Forums
wrc rally replica build thread - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: From the Street (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: wrc rally replica build thread (/showthread.php?tid=18789)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: My build thread - Flofocus - 10-20-2011

that sucks. I know how it feels, been through it a couple of times...lol

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 10-22-2011

hows this for friday night!! big thanks to jonathan to help me taking head off!!

[Image: IMG_7218.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7223.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7224.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7225.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7226.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7227.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7231.jpg]

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - Focus man. Focus. - 10-22-2011

Boom goes the dynamite.

Wow Leo. You did a good job of that didn't you.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - hardk0re - 10-22-2011

its ALWAYs that cylinder that pops....lol

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - Mystake - 10-23-2011

Leo, when my engine popped, I found a 40 000km engine for 500$ after tax up in aurora at Hilltop Autowreckers. They were nice people to work with and delivered the engine to the shop that did the swap. Next best deals I could find were all 400+tax for engines with 9x000km on them

Good luck getting if fixed, sorry it happened to ya. It's no fun Sad

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - Flofocus - 10-24-2011

jesus, you demolished that piston.

Good thing these engines are dirt cheap.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 10-25-2011

i m trying to figure out what was causing that cylinder #3 to blow up.
like i did compression test earlier, #3 was low and i knew that caused engine oil sitting top of piston and blow blue smoke(randomly) thru tailpipe.

but i m thinking either..
- fuel pump gave up at 6300rpm and overheated cyl#3 and cooked engine oil top of piston #3 and blew block off
or
- water pump went out and caused engine block to overheat and cooked engine oil top of piston #3 and blew block off

as far as i can see, when piston blew, connecting rod snapped and hit oil separator...

engine is cheap these days, $400 for used engine but it is better for me to get new engine for $1000 if the seller on kijiji still has it by january.
i will just put my car away for winter and work on body parts and possibly paint engine bay..white is very hard to paint compare to dark color because of cleacoat is oil based and can put piss(yellowish) on white basecoat.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - buzz2.0 - 10-25-2011

i know what happened...i think 11psi might have something to do with itTongue...lol

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - Flofocus - 10-25-2011

yeah, same thing happened to my car, same piston. too much boost with a bad tune.

I'd still go with a $400 engine and just build that block up. why go new? your just going to end up in the same place down the road.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 10-25-2011

really..
then why is randy at fswerks asking me to go 11psi?
according to him, telling me that my fuel pump is going bad.
and also telling me i need new water pump this and that..

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - Flofocus - 10-25-2011

Oh, I'm not saying too much boost and a bad tune was the problem with your car. It was the problem with MY car though.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 10-27-2011

i might just grab used engine with good compression even on 4 cylinders.
and fuel pump to revised one, 180 thermostat instead of 195 stock, brand new coolant hoses, not sure if i want to go with samco again and go with different color.
and possibly, new water pump, new oil pump as well..

and a lot of gauges to show fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp and water temperature.
ssince randy and vik said that 11 psi with good engine is very reliable. i will take a word.
if something goes wrong again, they must be responsible for damages.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 10-27-2011

good news!! i took off downpipe and didnt damage turbo, charge side is spanking brand new, turbine side is covered in a bit of oil and carbon build up but metal debris didnt even get in there.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 11-01-2011

[Image: IMG_7248.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7254.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7255.jpg]

found bit of fine-sand like metal debris on fins but didnt damage any.
found some more debris inside of turbine housing.

and painted compressor housing, i m putting into oven to cure it.
[Image: compressorhousing.jpg]

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - GFXjamie - 11-01-2011

sorry hear about popping the motor leo, it will be good to throw in a revised fuel pump and a newer motor. too bad you couldnt use a duratec fuel pump, seems you can go 350+ whp on em all day.

now its time to build it stronger. hope you like the taste of boost because you will miss it!

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 11-02-2011

yeah i made big mistake ASSuming that engine is good(low km, no single drive problem), but i was wrong.
not sure if i spend time to build engine or buy brand new and live with it.
money is tight..

i miss my car already..already boooooooost addicted...

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - GFXjamie - 11-02-2011

ya thats the thing, is it is always a gamble when it comes to boosting a motor. I got lucky out of all honesty that mine didnt blow yet, mainly because i had already beaten it really well however it always pulled strong and never skipped a beat.

If you find a low km's motor, make sure to do a compression test to it before doing anything. as long as compression is good on the motor and ofcourse fuel pump is proper for the application you should have no issues with the kit and tuning.

best of luck leo and if you ever need a hand swapping in another motor let me know.

i have seen a few low km zetec on kijiji... check em out and do a compression test when you get the funds to do so.

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - lonewolf - 11-04-2011

Damn, that is one hell of a blow out. Sorry to hear about that, but hey i guess its an excuse now to build a bigger badder motor/turbo set up!!!

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - konafocuswrc - 11-05-2011

(11-02-2011, 02:55 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: ya thats the thing, is it is always a gamble when it comes to boosting a motor. I got lucky out of all honesty that mine didnt blow yet, mainly because i had already beaten it really well however it always pulled strong and never skipped a beat.

If you find a low km's motor, make sure to do a compression test to it before doing anything. as long as compression is good on the motor and ofcourse fuel pump is proper for the application you should have no issues with the kit and tuning.

best of luck leo and if you ever need a hand swapping in another motor let me know.

i have seen a few low km zetec on kijiji... check em out and do a compression test when you get the funds to do so.

thing is though, low km is very hard to find and if there is, it is 250km away from my place. and price was close to 500+..
then i might need to do timing belt changes, water pump and other stuff..then i figure buying brand new engine from the seller on kijiji will save me more money..

trying to sell stuff but seems like no one is interested..

RE: Blew engine - Oct 17th/2011 - GFXjamie - 11-05-2011

ken scored a wiked deal on a brand new zetec from TS. sure it had to be shipped, but i doubt he ended up with more then 800$ in the pot for it. talk to him about shipping to the border possibly for a US motor that you might find. Other option is to take an older block, get stock pistons/rods and bearings do a quick rebuild on it. then you know 100% it is ready to roll.