FocusCanada Forums
wrc rally replica build thread - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: From the Street (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: wrc rally replica build thread (/showthread.php?tid=18789)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - darkpuppet - 01-24-2013

Do you have a link to anywhere you may have ordered your LCAs through?

I have a feeling they are fatally flawed (figuratively, and literally)

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - hardk0re - 01-24-2013

http://dominanteng.com/

^^^^^ AVOID!

The fact that he puts engineering in the name doesn't exactly mean he is an engineer...

My engineered parts from him all failed within only a few 1000km. Running stock on stuff thats got over 180k on it and you know what..that stuff still works...guess what.... engineers actually designed those parts and THEY WORK!.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - adamzx5 - 01-24-2013

Im thinking doms s**t is just for cars that sit at shows and look pretty not for cars that get used. I want to find out about the ones some of the foci rally cars use lol

From the site, you can see the problem with the LCA... and it comes from pics that Mitch (focusbc, ZX3Tuning) posted...

[attachment=698]

You can see where two regions of heat intersect, and that would be where the metal grains would likely be the most brittle.

These things should be heat treated at a minimum, but engineering some torsional give across the length of the LCA would have been better.

And the hilarity of it? Mitch gives it a rather glowing review before even testing the thing...

Quote:“Having spent years working at the highest levels of motorsport, competing in the Grand AM series and running the 24hr at daytona with a Porsche gt3-cup…. I can say without a doubt the build quality, precision and strength of the parts designed and built by Dominic are second to none. You will be hard pressed to find parts on and for purpose built $500,000 race cars that exceed the quality of anything from Dominant Engineering.

While the finer points to the quality of construction may not mean much to everyone not familiar with any sort of fabrication, to have products of this quality available to you at such reasonable prices is truly astounding!

I have purchased multiple sets of suspension components for my cars from Dominic and will continue to do so well into the future!”

Cheers
Mitch/ZX3Tuning

Guess pretty parts aren't always the best parts for your car....

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - adamzx5 - 01-24-2013

Honestly if massive made lca's i would by them in a heart beat. Im running there toe arms, camber arms and the new endlinks. There parts look good and I have never had a problem ,plus they have the best customer service.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - konafocuswrc - 01-24-2013

finally got home, not using brake but engine brake and e-brake..

i just got reply from Dom..Dom is not going to refund my money but replace with new version.
he said his old supplier let all tubing sitting outside and caused corrosion inside of tubing...
thanks for letting me know after all this happens. DUH!! i almost got killed!!

how much corrosion you see inside the break?

Something like this could use an engineering report to figure out the truth.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - moon111 - 01-27-2013

Corrosion my ass. You have two stiff sections intersecting at a single point which is weakened by the heat of welding. This is a complete design fault. I'd only accept a new set only if the design was changed. These could kill someone.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - konafocuswrc - 01-27-2013

i do not see much corrosion inside.
according to my friend studied metallurgy, he said that it is his design fault.

after mentioning him that i am from canada, he keeps ignoring my emails.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - konafocuswrc - 04-09-2013

Sadly, I will not be able to finish my focus this year.
Lowered like 4" and it still needs to be dropped little more..
[Image: 20130408_135824_zpsf46d8f8f.jpg]
[Image: 20130408_135429_zps97f5731e.jpg]

I probably get a wrx or sti within couple months, then I have excuses to tear down my focus and build roll cage..
I might modify some stuff in engine bay as well..

My current setup is not satisfying anymore..i am going to rebuild engine to support 350~400whp.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - ANTHONYD - 04-09-2013

Jesus. all that work and you're changing direction now?

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - drunkinmonkey - 04-09-2013

can i have your headlights lol

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - adamzx5 - 04-09-2013

put it on air

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - _JET_ - 04-09-2013

i like that ride height on your car, it looks really rally cross at that height.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - konafocuswrc - 04-10-2013

(04-09-2013, 12:55 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Jesus. all that work and you're changing direction now?

Well, there is no changing direction.
I had that plan in mind.
Just addicted to boost, demanding more.

(04-09-2013, 01:18 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: put it on air

what do you mean?

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - GFXjamie - 04-10-2013

Air bags

If you have coilovers, remove helper springs on front and adjusters from rear

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - konafocuswrc - 04-10-2013

I do not have problem lowering more with current coilover, there is still 7 inches i can move no problem.
I used to have exact same drop(around 3") from the previous owner as his did not come with coilover wrench.
I just bought wrench and lowered 1" on monday. I can lower little bit more but ac lines are in the way.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - adamzx5 - 04-10-2013

Should have went with a top speed kit if you wanted power. The fswerks is a good kit dont get me wrong , but for a zetec i think any of the topspeed kits are where its at. The only downside some dont come with tuning :/

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - ZTWsquared - 04-10-2013

(04-10-2013, 01:02 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: Should have went with a top speed kit if you wanted power. The fswerks is a good kit dont get me wrong , but for a zetec i think any of the topspeed kits are where its at. The only downside some dont come with tuning :/

That is a pretty big downside, and of course there is the other downside - Topspeed is not a particularly reliable company to deal with.

RE: wrc rally replica build thread - drunkinmonkey - 04-11-2013

(04-10-2013, 01:47 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(04-10-2013, 01:02 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: Should have went with a top speed kit if you wanted power. The fswerks is a good kit dont get me wrong , but for a zetec i think any of the topspeed kits are where its at. The only downside some dont come with tuning :/

That is a pretty big downside, and of course there is the other downside - Topspeed is not a particularly reliable company to deal with.

i love my topspeed stuff. i dont have the kit persay mines a custom kit i pieced together myself. but i have there street manifold, dump tube, and 3" maf tube and there stuff is top notch..

the dump tube and maf tube i got within a week. the manifold took a bit longer about a month or so. mine was made to order and they ran out of v-band flanges so they had to wait for more to come in

other then that great company to deal with.