FocusCanada Forums
Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Exhaust system for 2007 ST (/showthread.php?tid=20048)

Pages: 1 2

Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 05-10-2012

Well, it sounds like my OEM muffler is due to get changed! It's leaking at the seam. So, my question to all of you is the following:

Do I change the whole system or just the muffler?

Yes, price does matter. I'm leaning towards muffler only. I don't want more "power" or better "sound" unless I can get a very good system for cheap (doubt it)!

So, this said, what muffler should I get? Canadian Tire/Midas cheap muffler or something a bit better? I want this thing to last me atleast 2-3 years!

Thanks

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - ZTWsquared - 05-10-2012

(05-10-2012, 05:51 AM)Gravter Wrote: Well, it sounds like my OEM muffler is due to get changed! It's leaking at the seam. So, my question to all of you is the following:

Do I change the whole system or just the muffler?

Yes, price does matter. I'm leaning towards muffler only. I don't want more "power" or better "sound" unless I can get a very good system for cheap (doubt it)!

So, this said, what muffler should I get? Canadian Tire/Midas cheap muffler or something a bit better? I want this thing to last me atleast 2-3 years!

Thanks

One thing to consider is what else might go in the 2 to 3 years you want the car to last - if the muffler's gone how long before the lunchbox goes or some of the other bits - and the reason to ask is that the labour to install a whole new exhaust wouldn't be that much more than for just the muffler.

If the objective is the lowest cost possible then yeah, get the cheapest muffler you can find - aluminized ones will last bit longer but not as long as stainless.

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - NOS2Go4Me - 05-15-2012

Here's the issue: the OEM Focus muffler size is VERY small (in terms of length) and you'd have a hard time finding anything that will actually fit nicely in the stock area.

So, you can go OEM again. Sure. I don't know why you would tho. I'd have a chat with a performance shop and see if they'll cut you on a new muffler and tailpipe that will flow and sound better (pretty much an axle-back system) for a reasonable price vs. a stock replacement.

If you went semi-custom and moved the muffler placement back some, you could even run a cheap glasspack muffler and gain a bit of pick-up.

My Magnaflow muffler "modifications" and re-welding cost me 50 bucks (welding both the muffler to fix it and then welding it back on the car). You could likely get away with a new high-flow muffler and custom pipe/welding for around 100 bucks. To me, that would be worth it. When my mid pipe (between cat and muffler) was clogged, and that's about 3-4 feet of pipe, it cost me another 50 bucks for all-new straight pipe welded in-place.

Plus, you have a ST with one of the more desirable blocks in a Focus. Let it breathe! Smile

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 05-15-2012

Yeah, not sure what to do yet.
A few years ago I was looking at the MBRP 2.25" or 2.5" cat back system but I see they don't offer it anymore...too bad Sad (Anyone have one for sale? lol)
Not sure I want to drop 500$ or more in the exhaust. I will call the shops around here and see what they have to offer.

Thanks

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - MuskokaZX3 - 05-15-2012

I work at MBRP and am possibly getting a new system for my car in the next couple months if u wanna wait it out

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 05-16-2012

A few months... nahhh, I'm gonna get this fixed before the end of next week.
I'm going on a road trip (about 2,000Km) and want it fixed before leaving.

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - _JET_ - 05-25-2012

will this fit?
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-OEM-2007-focus-gfx-cat-back-exhaust-W0QQAdIdZ378362825

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - ZTWsquared - 05-25-2012

(05-25-2012, 05:03 AM)_JET_ Wrote: will this fit?
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-OEM-2007-focus-gfx-cat-back-exhaust-W0QQAdIdZ378362825

It's from a ZX3 so it's a bit short aft of the rear "axle" - but that's easily enough fixed - for the money I'd say that's a pretty good solution for you.

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 05-28-2012

Yikes, this is way out of my area, lol.
I'm in the Ottawa region. Actually closer to Pembroke on Quebec side of river Wink
Thanks for the help everyone Smile

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 09-07-2012

Well...I never did buy another exhaust system for my car.
Ford dealership had attempted to "repair" my exhaust leak at the muffler but this only lasted a few weeks.
I emailed MBRP hoping they would cut me a system from there old specs and no Sad
Looks like my only alternatives are FSWERKS or ???
OEM is simply outrageous! Like $1,000.00 for a catback oem!!! wth!
I was hoping to keep this under $450,00... I guess that won't happen!
Any suggestions?

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - reldridge - 09-07-2012

You could always go Tru Bendz...

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-215/05-dsh-09-FORD-FOCUS-EXHAUST/Detail

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - MuskokaZX3 - 09-07-2012

Yea, they won't run a single focus system at MBRP... All of our old jigs are on skids up in the air on some racking... Itd be quite the chore to try and dig out the focus jigs, let alone wed have to build the muffler and resonator from scratch as we dont make any 2.25" exhaust systems. Wish I had of kept my old stock system now of my st...

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - ZTWsquared - 09-07-2012

(05-16-2012, 12:57 AM)Gravter Wrote: A few months... nahhh, I'm gonna get this fixed before the end of next week.
I'm going on a road trip (about 2,000Km) and want it fixed before leaving.

I have a virtually unused stock exhaust off my 07 D20 wagon (from the cat back) - $30 plus shipping. I replaced it with an MBRP at about 18k km.

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 09-07-2012

Well, I'm awaiting a shipping quote from FSWERKS for the race version of their cat back system.
I will take a look at the Tru Bendz system. I will email them for a shipping quote also.
Thanks Smile

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 09-11-2012

Well, I just ordered the Tru Bendz with Magnaflow!
Not sure how long it will take to get to me. I just hope it won't cost me too much in duty/brokerage fees!
Cheers Wink

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - ZTWsquared - 09-11-2012

(09-11-2012, 01:38 AM)Gravter Wrote: Well, I just ordered the Tru Bendz with Magnaflow!
Not sure how long it will take to get to me. I just hope it won't cost me too much in duty/brokerage fees!
Cheers Wink

You'll have to pay GST for sure and provincial tax - but no duty (stuff made in the USA is duty free).

If they ship it United States Postal Service you might not have to pay a fee when Canada Post shows up at your door - I've had it both ways where I had to pay and where I didn't. If I had to guess I'd say on a big box like that you'll have to pay some sort of fee.

If they ship it UPS or Fedex then for sure you will have to pay a brokerage fee:

UPS brokerage fees

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Lucster1000 - 10-10-2012

Roughly how much did it cost you after shipping a fees?

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 10-16-2012

(10-10-2012, 07:51 AM)Lucster1000 Wrote: Roughly how much did it cost you after shipping a fees?

Cost was 401$ Cnd. total!
So, it was 400$ US and our looney was on par Wink

Now, I see that it is supposed to be bolt on kit, so I'm wondering, do I need a special flange to attach a 2.5" pipe to my catalic converter? It only came with 2 clamps, 6 bolts/nuts. I know I will need somekind of hanger for the tailpipe end because the OEM had an "U" shapped hanger that was welded to it and went up to the rubber that is bolted to the car frame.

Hoping to get it installed this week!

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 10-18-2012

Well, here is what the new system looks like... in pieces!
It's getting installed tomorrow! Can't wait Smile

RE: Exhaust system for 2007 ST - Gravter - 10-19-2012

Well, the system is in!
OMFG!!! Gonna make my neighbours freak out in the morning!
This thing is LOUD! Sitting in my car now is almost too much! I hope I get used to it.
I think I should of gone with a system with resonator!
The garage broke both clamps that came with it! Said they weren't tough enough.
Oh well... too late now!
Will try to post a before/after video this weekend