FocusCanada Forums
Fun In The Snow. - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Fun In The Snow. (/showthread.php?tid=4233)

Pages: 1 2

Fun In The Snow. - Aka - 12-03-2007

<mode="Troll"> It snowed fairly heavily last night. And I just had to go out and have some fun in my Subaru. So I back my Dads Focus out of the tiny driveway, and it got stuck. Immediately. Finally got it out of the way and my car out, parking my car in a big snow mound. Then worked on getting Dads Focus back into the driveway, which took some effort. I then got into my Subaru and drove off like there wasn't even any snow at all. It was great! </mode>

To be honest though, I brought a shovel with me incase my Subaru got stuck too. I'd never driven in that much snow so I was worried, plus I have really crappy all seasons, and no LSDs (aside from center). But surprisingly the car never got stuck. Even in ~1 foot of snow the car kept going. I did get 'stuck' once, I came up to a stop sign on a hill, stopped at it. Then tried to go, and the car went off fine but started to go sideways, then stop progressing. So I stopped, then started again and it was fine.

<attempt="Redeem Myself">Why is it Ford never offered an AWD version of the Focus they rally? I think that would have been tons of fun. Especially seeing how well it's doing in the WRC. <3 Gronholm.</attempt>

Question: How do you get unstuck with a FWD open diff car? I've heard things like touching the brakes to keep one wheel from spinning, does this work?

Fun In The Snow. - NikiterZTS - 12-03-2007

around 12:30am i went to the closest mall parking lot and had some Tokyo drift going there for about 15min
very fun

Fun In The Snow. - Burnin21 - 12-03-2007

I wish my car was up and running, I would have done some Tokyo Driftin last night too.

Fun In The Snow. - Canadian ST - 12-03-2007

NikiterZTS,Dec 2 2007, 07:10 PM Wrote:around 12:30am i went to the closest mall parking lot and had some Tokyo drift going there for about 15min
very fun
[right][snapback]253887[/snapback][/right]

Yah I did the same thing last night in a salt truck, I'm going to have to get a vdeo of it, its well crazy

Fun In The Snow. - naz - 12-03-2007

Aka,Dec 2 2007, 11:04 PM Wrote:<mode="Troll"> It snowed fairly heavily last night. And I just had to go out and have some fun in my Subaru. So I back my Dads Focus out of the tiny driveway, and it got stuck. Immediately. Finally got it out of the way and my car out, parking my car in a big snow mound. Then worked on getting Dads Focus back into the driveway, which took some effort. I then got into my Subaru and drove off like there wasn't even any snow at all. It was great! </mode>

To be honest though, I brought a shovel with me incase my Subaru got stuck too. I'd never driven in that much snow so I was worried, plus I have really crappy all seasons, and no LSDs (aside from center). But surprisingly the car never got stuck. Even in ~1 foot of snow the car kept going. I did get 'stuck' once, I came up to a stop sign on a hill, stopped at it. Then tried to go, and the car went off fine but started to go sideways, then stop progressing. So I stopped, then started again and it was fine.

<attempt="Redeem Myself">Why is it Ford never offered an AWD version of the Focus they rally? I think that would have been tons of fun. Especially seeing how well it's doing in the WRC. <3 Gronholm.</attempt>

Question: How do you get unstuck with a FWD open diff car? I've heard things like touching the brakes to keep one wheel from spinning, does this work?
[right][snapback]253886[/snapback][/right]

the best subaru snow traction i've ever experience was in a Loyale station wagon with locking center and rear diff. (4wd not awd) and equipped with good snow tires and skid plate.. this thing was a monster in the snow. it was pretty much unstoppable.. i got through 22" of snow once

anyway.. to get unstuck in fwd open diff car i would use 1st gear to rock the car back and forth (go forward, clutch in, let the car roll back, clutch back out go forward a bit more) the key thing is to control your throttle usage so you dont get wheel spin. pressing the brake would let you be more careless with the throttle since it would take more throttle press to spin the wheels

there are some situations like uphill icy road that fwd open diff just can't handle

Fun In The Snow. - Aka - 12-03-2007

It's an automatic car. I tried to keep the wheels spinning as slowly as possible. But it was pretty hard. I rocked back and forth as best I could, with out being harsh on the transmission.

Eventually I just gave up and shovelled some snow right down to the pavement. Once it got moving a bit it would slowly move through the snow, but the car would shimmy from side to side.

22"? wow. After the Focus got stuck, I was happy to get through 6 inches with my Subaru, and 12" at times. 22 I'd never have tried, I'd have burried the car lol.

Fun In The Snow. - NOS2Go4Me - 12-03-2007

I got around fairly easily tonight, and we must have a foot on the roads, nevermind the lots. Between the TCS and my own judicious right foot, I don't seem to have much issue between sleet, snow and glare ice.

I only came close once in a Wal-Mart lot on the way back from hockey tonight (24 hour shopping till Christmas - so handy!). I backed out of the mini drift that stopped me cold, went back through it again and I was fine.

Pirelli P6s FTMFW.

Fun In The Snow. - Flofocus - 12-04-2007

helped two of my neighboors get unstuck this morning, both fwd cars.

Hoped in my BMW to go to Timmies for the Large DBLDBL, and plowed right through. I swear I was driving a ski-doo! :lol:

And its days like this where I LOVE working from home. Freinds were telling me the buses weren't even ontime, 1.5 hours LATE :blink: for one of them. Wife is just leaving for work now. hopefully the accord doesnt get stuck.

Fun In The Snow. - NefCanuck - 12-04-2007

Gods, I made it home Saturday night just before all hell broke loose (Literally, there were a few flakes as I pulled into the underground, by the time I got upstairs to my condo I couldn't even see across the street, it was a literal wall of white! :ph34r:)

I spent Sunday curled up on the couch watching football, playing PS3 and looking outside every so often going "Thank god I don't have to be anywhere today"

NefCanuck

Fun In The Snow. - FocusGuy7476 - 12-04-2007

or you could just do what we prairie folk do and ride the snowmobiles on the road or sidewalk.

Fun In The Snow. - Someguy_ca - 12-04-2007

Had some fun this morning... I found out front wheel drives can snap around, even when not being pushed.

Why oh why didn't I try to find an Impreza?

Fun In The Snow. - NefCanuck - 12-04-2007

Someguy_ca,Dec 3 2007, 06:35 PM Wrote:Had some fun this morning... I found out front wheel drives can snap around, even when not being pushed.

Why oh why didn't I try to find an Impreza?
[right][snapback]253929[/snapback][/right]

Oh hell, I learned that years ago on an '88 Chevy Celeb with a V6. Too much weight on the nose + too drastic steering input = donut :(

NefCanuck

Fun In The Snow. - naz - 12-04-2007

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 3 2007, 06:28 AM Wrote:Pirelli P6s FTMFW.
[right][snapback]253902[/snapback][/right]

have you tried a dedicated snow tire?

Fun In The Snow. - snorcus - 12-05-2007

I have the firestone winter force and lowered 2" and the foci is a tank. Unstopable.
Works like a snow plow but can go through anything.

Fun In The Snow. - oldeguy - 12-05-2007

I had to come in to work on Sunday for some Overtime, came in to a unplowed parking lot. No problem in the Focus with snows :D

Fun In The Snow. - FocusGuy7476 - 12-05-2007

The SVT is fun with snow tires on, just keeps going through anything.

I really do wish I had AWD.

Fun In The Snow. - PARKINGLOT - 12-05-2007

I miss having my bronco on the road. 4x4 owns in the snow. Having said that, my focus isn't *too* bad. Haven't had any problems so far this winter...

Fun In The Snow. - 02_svt_guy - 12-05-2007

FocusGuy7476,Dec 4 2007, 11:21 AM Wrote:The SVT is fun with snow tires on, just keeps going through anything.

I really do wish I had AWD.
[right][snapback]253957[/snapback][/right]

Disagree! even with winter tires i find her alittle tricky. The suspension is to stiff so she tends to slide a bit to much.

on a side note though man i miss snow : (

Fun In The Snow. - PARKINGLOT - 12-05-2007

I spun out a Shelby GT500. Ragtop no less. It's a long story, I'll type it up after I get some sleep. Needless to say.....

snow > GT500 on all season performance tires....

Fun In The Snow. - 2001 ZTS - 12-06-2007

naz,Dec 3 2007, 12:28 AM Wrote:the best subaru snow traction i've ever experience was in a Loyale station wagon with locking center and rear diff.  (4wd not awd)  and equipped with good snow tires and skid plate.. this thing was a monster in the snow.  it was pretty much unstoppable.. i got through 22" of snow once
[right][snapback]253897[/snapback][/right]

My old wagon! That thing RAWKED, tracked like a snow mobile.

Heres some pretty cool pics of what the WRX can do:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7585...d1&id=687620231