Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Mileage On Focus Gone To Pot
Okay folks, looking to pick some brains here before I go to the dealer about this.

05 Focus 2.0L Duratech 27,900km

In the last two weeks the car has been sucking back gas like I would have drilled a hole in the gas tank, from an average before the problem started of 9L/100KM to the last fill up today at 10.4L/100KM with the same mix of driving (approx 60km short trip city and 200km highway per week)

Only other thing I've noticed is that the exhaust note seems "boomier" until the car warms up (5 - 10 minutes of driving) and the occasional crappy idle (The RPM's are at the normal range at a stop but occasionally the engine idle isn't smooth at all, not the the point of stalling, but I can feel the vibrations)

Any ideas?

NefCanuck
DPF..........Welcome to the world of Ford. Just replaced mine on the truck after I blew a cell and the gas mileage went from shite to great and it was running rough beforehand.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Nov 27 2005, 02:35 AM Wrote:DPF..........Welcome to the world of Ford.  Just replaced mine on the truck after I blew a cell and the gas mileage went from shite to great and it was running rough beforehand.
[right][snapback]157856[/snapback][/right]

Gah... better bring it in Monday then <_< But it isn't showing a CEL at this point so I'm surprised that the DPF has gone south silently like this :blink:

NefCanuck
Damn...all I saw was 'POT' in the title of this thread!!

DPF???
Wow... that sucks. Hope you get it straightened out, Daniel.

Not even telling you what I did for mileage this weekend then... <_<
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Update:

Got the car back from Ford - No Fault Present (of course it is 13C today too <_< )

However they did leave a lovely printout in the car of what I'm assuming is a service note that says some '05's may have stumbling/surging issues due to the need to heat the cat during cold weather/using winter grade fuel. Without any diagnostic codes no fix should be attempted :rolleyes:

So IOW driving the car in the winter over short distances (less than 3km to work one way) I should just bend over and kiss my ass buh bye? <_<

Irony #1 - When I took the car in they assumed it was because I was notified for the recall work (The rear door latches) I was like BWAH? I never got any notice...

Irony #2 - I come home tonight and guess what's in my mailbox? Yup, recall notice :rofl:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 28 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:However they did leave a lovely printout in the car of what I'm assuming is a service note that says some '05's may have stumbling/surging issues due to the need to heat the cat during cold weather/using winter grade fuel.  Without any diagnostic codes no fix should be attempted :rolleyes:

[right][snapback]158167[/snapback][/right]

oh well for built for life in canada. :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I wonder if:

- it's only a Duratec 2.0L problem?

- does the Duratec 2.3L do EXACTLY the same thing?

- does 91+ octane fuel make it go away?

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,Nov 28 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:However they did leave a lovely printout in the car of what I'm assuming is a service note that says some '05's may have stumbling/surging issues due to the need to heat the cat during cold weather/using winter grade fuel.
That's just great - no ambiquity there.

WTF does the note mean? Doesn't the cat heat up by design - more specifically, by Ford's design? What control do you have over how fast the cat heats, unless their note is some sort of code for "let it idle for 10 minutes before driving" - but then again, wouldn't they just come out and say that?

As for winter gas (and I could be mistaken here) but I thought there was some sort of law that forced fuel companies to only serve winter gas between certain dates.

I think what the note is really saying is "too bad pal, live with it."
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
letting the car heat up first sound like its exactly what there saying... if your just makeing short trips .. 5 mins or less .. then obviously the car isnt really gonna have time to get up to temperature.

and the cat needs to be nice and hot inorder for it to properly work .. that's how some shops used to "force" cars to fail emissions test .. they'ed aim that massive fan towards the ground, forcing cool air under the car and onto the cat, thus making it seem like the cat was failing and then telling you it needs to be replaced.

so .. just hit the automatic starter 5 mins b4 you go outside in the morning, and your good to go
Below Average Car Club
schade,Nov 30 2005, 12:41 AM Wrote:letting the car heat up first sound like its exactly what there saying... if your just makeing short trips .. 5 mins or less .. then obviously the car isnt really gonna have time to get up to temperature.

and the cat needs to be nice and hot inorder for it to properly work .. that's how some shops used to "force" cars to fail emissions test .. they'ed aim that massive fan towards the ground, forcing cool air under the car and onto the cat, thus making it seem like the cat was failing and then telling you it needs to be replaced.

so .. just hit the automatic starter 5 mins b4 you go outside in the morning, and your good to go
[right][snapback]158478[/snapback][/right]

Except I'm parking in an underground garage, both at home & at work and the temp never drops below 5C or so :(

As the temps begin dropping this week, I'll see if the problem resurfaces, if it does I'll let them keep the car overnight so they can diagnose it.

NefCanuck
Daniel,

Can you log all your mileage / kilometerage and rate that against actual fuel being used? if it's stupidly low, you can go after Ford about it because the car's obviously not running right.

Just record the date, fuel purchased in liters, and how far you drove before you filled. Keeping a log when you suspect something is never a bad thing... it just shows you're thinking at the right level.

NOS2Go4Me,Nov 30 2005, 01:23 PM Wrote:Daniel,

Can you log all your mileage / kilometerage and rate that against actual fuel being used? if it's stupidly low, you can go after Ford about it because the car's obviously not running right.

Just record the date, fuel purchased in liters, and how far you drove before you filled. Keeping a log when you suspect something is never a bad thing... it just shows you're thinking at the right level.
[right][snapback]158562[/snapback][/right]

Been doing that for the last three months now, it's only been the last two fillups where the mileage went south (when things went cold temperature wise)

NefCanuck
Could be bad gas.

But from your first post, it sounds like you have an exhaust leak before the cat.
Fingers,Nov 30 2005, 07:22 PM Wrote:Could be bad gas. 

But from your first post, it sounds like you have an exhaust leak before the cat.
[right][snapback]158635[/snapback][/right]

That's what I was thinking, but why would the booming exhaust note go away when the outside temperature is warmer? Ten degree swing in the ambient air temp can make that much of a difference? :blink: (and if it is the exhaust, would this be a warranty item under the 3/60k warranty) or is this the expensive excuse I need to invest in an MBRP exhaust? :P

NefCanuck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2012 focus fuel mileage Flofocus 9 4,263 06-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Last Post: euro_zx5
  Focus to high mileage ? zx5power 6 2,591 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Last Post: oldeguy
  2007 Focus Se Mileage? X TUH BOARD 8 2,929 11-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Scourge