Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Wrong With My Gas Gauge?
Hey Guys,

I have a slight little problem with my gas gauge, I filled the gas tank up to the max and reset the trip meter and travelled about 30km.....then my gauge was reading that a 1/4 tank was already missing :blink: ...... I pretty much flipped. So I found the next gas station and refilled for a grand total of $1.00...... After I got back in the gauge read slightly above a 1/4 tank but not at full as it should be reading....... Is this something I should take to Ford or should I retry reseting my ECU first? My Xcal 2 shouldnt have anything to do with this should it?
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
Burnin21,Nov 12 2005, 02:14 AM Wrote:Hey Guys,

I have a slight little problem with my gas gauge, I filled the gas tank up to the max and reset the trip meter and travelled about 30km.....then my gauge was reading that a 1/4 tank was already missing :blink: ...... I pretty much flipped. So I found the next gas station and refilled for a grand total of $1.00...... After I got back in the gauge read slightly above a 1/4 tank but not at full as it should be reading....... Is this something I should take to Ford or should I retry reseting my ECU first? My Xcal 2 shouldnt have anything to do with this should it?
[right][snapback]155324[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like your fuel guage sending unit is going south, mine did just recently and started doing bizzare stuff like that. At one point the damn thing went from empty and the angry red light to 1/4 all while sitting at a stoplight <_<

Any acceleration/hesitation issues? Your fuel pump may also be going south if that's the case.

If your car is under warranty and they have the parts in stock, easy fix, just make sure to run the car as close to empty as you can before you bring it in for them to work on it.

NefCanuck
No the car has no problems with acceleration or anything, she still picks up and goes like shes suppose too..... besides if my fuel pump was going i'd go with an aftermarket one since i'm gonna be doing that after I go turbo :) To have spark you need air and fuel....no sense in 42lb/hr injectors spitting fuel into your engine if your fuel pump has to work 150% harder, you'll just kill it anyways......Thanks for the info Nef I'll be heading to the dealership early in the morning :)
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
i concur, fuel sender switch...
My other ride is your Mom
the problem is that the fuel sending unit is attached to the FORD vehicle. that is you main problem. J/k

Its the sending unit, i had a similar problem. after a while the sending unit and the fuel pump act and it becomes even worse.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Typical sign of the fuel sending unit on it's way out...the sending unit is attached to the fuel pump so they both have to be replaced....

Vito :)
Present: 2004 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
Titanium Grey, MTX, Brullen Exhaust
17" x 7" Enkei Evo 6 (Anthracite) with
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Previous: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3
with Jackson Racing Supercharger
Burnin21,Nov 12 2005, 02:27 AM Wrote:No the car has no problems with acceleration or anything, she still picks up and goes like shes suppose too..... besides if my fuel pump was going i'd go with an aftermarket one since i'm gonna be doing that after I go turbo :) To have spark you need air and fuel....no sense in 42lb/hr injectors spitting fuel into your engine if your fuel pump has to work 150% harder, you'll just kill it anyways......Thanks for the info Nef I'll be heading to the dealership early in the morning :)
[right][snapback]155329[/snapback][/right]

Hope everything worked out okay (IE: They had the parts in stock ;) )

NefCanuck