Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Hatch Trim
Does anyone have a step by step on how to take off the rear hatch trim?

I want to paint it but I've noticed it doesn't come off easily!

Any help would be appreciated!

Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
You have to remove the interior trim panel on the hatch, then remove all the bolts holding it on (I think there are 5 of them). You may have to move your wiper motor around to get at the middle bolt.. I was going to do mine myself but the bodyshop installed it when they put my midwing on for me (I replaced mine with the chrome trim from the 2002 ZX5).
It is so easy to remove just pop that cover and then the bolts. It is a 10 minute job

I was looking at it last night, but just thought I would ask. I only saw 4 bolts so now I know there is 5 I won't be pulling things off and breaking them!

Thanks!
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
they are 10mm nuts, get a 1/4" socket, 1/4" wobble and 12" long 1/4" extension and a 1/4" ratchet
the 5th bolt is dead center behind the wiper motor, with the wobble you wont need to remove the wipre motor.
expect the nuts to be seazed to the studs in which case you will probably tear them out of the hatch piece once you start to remove them...

don't be surprized if you find yourself on your way to the dealership to get a new piece.

if you are lucky and they come off easy or you have a new one, get some anti-seaze and apply some to the threads of the studs before putting the shatch-stip in place. this will make it easy to remove next time if needed!

^^^
yup... i didn't actually break it OUT of the moulding, i broke the stud right in half

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Hatch Opening wpgzx5 15 3,298 08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Chromey
  Chrome Hatch Trim qtgino 10 2,520 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Jaspher
  Hatch Trim svt_rodg 5 1,856 08-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Last Post: GlennH
  Carbon Fiber Hatch Trim _JC_ 18 5,466 08-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Raine