Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check Engine Light
Today on my drive home, i look down and see the check engine light on!! BOOO!!! i have 104000km, going to be taking it in tomorow to get it checked up. Ill keep everybody posted!
[SIZE=x-small][COLOR=gray][FONT=Arial][I] Killa Cam ST
Don't take it to the stealership. They will rob you of $100 just to read the check engine light. It could be something as simple as you forgetting to tighten your gas cap at your last fill up.

There are plenty of people on here that have either an OBDII reader or a tuning device (XCal3) that can read the code in ten seconds and tell you what the problem is.

Where are you located?
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
DPFE?
Well i hope it is something as easy as a gas cap problem. Im located in guelph, if someone has OBDII device or a tuning device i would be willing to make a small trip to see whats wrong with it. The car is going in on monday to get checked out a small local shop.
I work at a dealership $88.95 lol, i have a code reader my self tho, maybe i could help you out if you'd like to come to toronto. i got a programer if youd like some extra horse power i could tune it for you. :lol:

KillaCamST,Apr 1 2010, 08:21 AM Wrote:Well i hope it is something as easy as a gas cap problem. Im located in guelph, if someone has OBDII device or a tuning device i would be willing to make a small trip to see whats wrong with it. The car is going in on monday to get checked out a small local shop.
[right][snapback]304261[/snapback][/right]
PPSSSSSSSSSTTTTT......CHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2000 Black zx3-daily driver> Stealth bomber
custom "bigman" turbo, all Black everything, SVT blue interior,
SVT suspension, Magnaflow exhaust, AEM gauges
2000 Yellow ZX3...stock with MRBP exhaust...
1979 Mercury Capri 5.0 swap (work in progress)
2002 focus SE-wrecked/scraped/parted out RIP
1993 Vw Passat 1.9L tdi...das diesel sipper sold parted RIP
1993 mazda B2600 4x4 POS, parted, rusted to pieces
1990 Toyota 4runner 4x4 mud beast
I have an Xcal2 that will read codes (I'm in Mississauga near SQ1)

NefCanuck
hardk0re,Apr 1 2010, 08:13 AM Wrote:DPFE?
[right][snapback]304255[/snapback][/right]

i would get a local member on here to scan for ODB codes, its also called a PFE, there is no D in the front of it. all 3 of my warranty invoices state that.
My other ride is your Mom
Hey guys.
Meet up with daniel in milton and got the code of p0171, which is a leen condition code in bank 1 (only is 1 bank).
Common Problems:

PCM software needs to be updated

Vacuum Leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses etc.)

Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

I was doing some reading online, other fourms are saying pvc valve. But not to sure if the 2.3 has that. any idea? Any one know what my next step or steps should be? I read about cleaning the MAF, and then using a fuel enjector cleaner and then look for fuel pressure!
thanks guys.
paolo,Apr 3 2010, 01:36 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Apr 1 2010, 08:13 AM Wrote:DPFE?
[right][snapback]304255[/snapback][/right]

i would get a local member on here to scan for ODB codes, its also called a PFE, there is no D in the front of it. all 3 of my warranty invoices state that.
[right][snapback]304382[/snapback][/right]

I had DPFE come up on my. It was that stupid hoes...collapsed
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,Apr 5 2010, 04:00 PM Wrote:It was that stupid hoes...collapsed
[right][snapback]304577[/snapback][/right]
LOL ... hate when that happens - definitely want your money back; no happy ending here.

Oh wait ... you meant "hose" ...

Never mind.

You crack me up Nik.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
KillaCamST,Apr 5 2010, 02:38 PM Wrote:Hey guys.
Meet up with daniel in milton and got the code of p0171, which is a leen condition code in bank 1 (only is 1 bank).
Common Problems:

I was doing some reading online, other fourms are saying pvc valve. But not to sure if the 2.3 has that. any idea? Any one know what my next step or steps should be? I read about cleaning the MAF, and then using a fuel enjector cleaner and then look for fuel pressure!
thanks guys.
[right][snapback]304569[/snapback][/right]

Cleaning the MAF is easy (use only special MAF cleaner - CRC makes one) - and definitely called for if using an oiled aftermarket air filter.

Fuel filter is relatively easy and should be done regularly anyway ... IIRC it uses same as Zetec which is Motorcraft FG-986B.

PCV valve is easy and should be done regularly - Motorcraft number for Duratec 23 is EV-274.

Start with those (they're all cheap) and see what happens ... I've heard negative things about on-the-car fuel injection cleaning (including the add-to-gas kind) ... if it turns out to be bad injectors you're probably better off simply replacing them.

Good luck.

K
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Apr 5 2010, 04:31 PM Wrote:
KillaCamST,Apr 5 2010, 02:38 PM Wrote:Hey guys.
Common Problems:

thanks guys.
[right][snapback]304569[/snapback][/right]

Cleaning the MAF is easy (use only special MAF cleaner - CRC makes one) - and definitely called for if using an oiled aftermarket air filter.

Fuel filter is relatively easy and should be done regularly anyway ... IIRC it uses same as Zetec which is Motorcraft FG-986B.

PCV valve is easy and should be done regularly - Motorcraft number for Duratec 23 is EV-274.

Start with those (they're all cheap) and see what happens ... I've heard negative things about on-the-car fuel injection cleaning (including the add-to-gas kind) ... if it turns out to be bad injectors you're probably better off simply replacing them.

Good luck.

K
[right][snapback]304593[/snapback][/right]

Cost of injectors?
Have not cleaned any of those. Is there a website that i could use for directions on how to clean those or where to find them?
ZTWsquared,Apr 5 2010, 04:23 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Apr 5 2010, 04:00 PM Wrote:It was that stupid hoes...collapsed
[right][snapback]304577[/snapback][/right]
LOL ... hate when that happens - definitely want your money back; no happy ending here.

Oh wait ... you meant "hose" ...

Never mind.

You crack me up Nik.
[right][snapback]304592[/snapback][/right]

iPhone typing fail.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Quick update.
Removed and cleaned the K&N air filter. was pretty dirty, planning on changing the fuel filter this weekend. As of now the light has no come back on and ive put about 70km on!
KillaCamST,Apr 7 2010, 01:31 PM Wrote:Quick update.
Removed and cleaned the K&N air filter. was pretty dirty, planning on changing the fuel filter this weekend. As of now the light has no come back on and ive put about 70km on!
[right][snapback]304719[/snapback][/right]

hahaha the engine isn't confused anymore (CEL = confused engine light)
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Another update.
Took the car to the shop, focus need vaccum hose and pcv valve. Part is coming from usa and will take 3-4 days to get here. But to put the pcv valve on, the intake manifold has to come out. Looking around 350-400$. I have read in some places that intake manifold doesnt have to to come out if you have the right tools! anyone know anything about this?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resetting the check engine light Mystake 22 19,649 05-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Mystake
  Check Gas Cap Light sonic_mikey 11 12,512 01-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  Check Fuel Cap Light On NefCanuck 9 5,392 01-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck